22lr for EDC

Well guys. I figured you realize I’m joking. $2K for a .22LR? Not on your life.

I’m actually looking at .22 magnims

Your Glock 43x is an excellent EDC. I have 2 G43x’s, the standard and 43x MOS, I would carry my G 44 for an EDC if I had no other options but I have personally ran over 15k on mine and know what it likes.

The biggest issue with .22lr is it being rimfire, do you really want to risk your life or a loved ones on the chance of a rimfire igniting 100% of the time?

You have stated you are already using your 43x as your EDC, stick with it or one of your other centerfires for protection of yourself and loved ones.

1 Like

@William_E3 Welcome to the community and I hope you can find the answers you are looking for, there are some truly great and helpful members here.

1 Like

@americanwolfman , you brought up a good point that I neglected to remember. Trusting your life to .22 rimfire is risky. I’ll stick to 9mm or 45 ACP

2 Likes

Then again, if someone lives long enough that strength, vision, and reflexes wain; our choice of defensive weapons shrinks. The worst weapon, in that case, is bare hands.
That being said, I did get my wife a Remington 870 Youth model in 20 gauge. However, if the shot is very far, it is not a good choice. On our property, the range may be 500 feet.
So, I got here a Ruger 10/22 with 25-round mags. Maybe on .22 is ineffective. Perhaps 10 of them is not so bad.

2 Likes

With all being said, I wouldn’t want to get shot with it or anything else. As always the firearm we have with us is always better than the one left in the dresser

5 Likes

You’re right about this. 22 ammo is less consistent as are the .22 firearms I’ve experienced. We own multiple copies of some and they do not act the same, even with the same ammo. I would trust my Beretta to fire (nearly) every time with (nearly) any ammo, but some others…not so much.

As others have said, something is better than nothing, and it might make a good backup (unless you can carry a small backup of a center fire caliber). Like many, I’ve had this conversation online and in my head many times. I’ve settled on not carrying .22, but having it as an option in the house as a backup to other accessible firearms. Part of that is financial as the ones we would rely on aren’t very expensive…better than nothing.

2 Likes

Just my opinion…

Although you can find examples like this for any caliber… I met a woman many years ago in another country. Her friends told me this story: She was sitting at the kitchen table having breakfast with her husband and son. The husband takes out a 22lr, puts it to his head, pulls the trigger, and drops to the floor. A few seconds later, he gets up and walks out the door. He survived.

I know this can happen with larger calibers. Similarly there are some who haven’t been so lucky with a shot from a 22lr. I would feel OK defending myself with a 22lr firearm that I was proficient with. I would feel better with a larger caliber.

2 Likes

I might use a .22LR Rifle for everyday care to keep the 4 legged pests at a distance…

2 Likes

Send it.

1 Like

There is a very good video and very thorough test results on 22lr and 22 WMR by Lucky Gunner. I carried a 22lr semi auto for a long time because of size. I put over 20k rounds through that pistol before it broke. I found it was reliable only with 40 grain CCI Minimags. I had one malfunction over 19 years with a 40 grain Minimag in that pistol. I would thoroughly test any pistol regardless of caliber before carrying it. You might consider a revolver.
The 22lr is the bottom end of what some consider a defensive caliber but it’s bite is a lot worse than its bark. A lot of people can not handle more recoil than a 22lr and a lot of people would be better served by a handgun they can shoot more accurately. Handgun knockdown power is pretty much a myth and shot placement is by far more important than caliber. Carry what you can shoot accurately. Misses are useless and dangerous.
There are a lot of larger caliber tiny handguns available now but most have excessive recoil. Some of the mini 380’s are some of the worst and should be downsized to 32 ACP. Too many carry calibers they have difficulty controlling.

5 Likes

Maybe we can sticky some facts about .22lr as defense round and CC?

1 Like

If you can be accurate under pressure with the 22lr and nothing else, by all means, carry it.
A man who can accurately hit his target under pressure, is better than an orangutan with a tank!

2 Likes

@Burdo @William_E3 As far as using a Good 22LR for EDC with the right ammo is a win for me, I carry one every day. I’ve CC 22LR hand guns along with other size hand guns for over 40+ years for self defense. Many years ago the 22LR was known as the 20 second killer. If anyone has ever heard of the Israeli Mossad the link below will be a very good read about the 22LR. There Special Ops preferred weapon at the time was the Beretta Model 70/71 .22 LRS: (Tap the link below to open it)

Israeli Mossad .22 LRS: The Reliable Pistols of the Mossad

No group of armed professionals ever used a . 22 caliber pistol as effectively as Israeli Mossad operators and Israeli sky marshals. Although the Beretta 70 & Model 71 are no longer being manufactured, you can still find these outstanding pistols on the used gun market.

3 Likes

Thanks. What a work of art your example is, museum like beauty. That caliber was introduced to me by my grandfather. I plan to hand ours down to my younger family members in my old-age. Interesting how we grow to appreciate and take care of such family heirlooms for their quality. I admire the caliber in rifle and revolver, just fearful of the reliability in the semi version.

In the article you shared, I was reminded though, that some models work better with even lesser known ammo brands, and that there is value in testing different brands for higher reliability.

1 Like

I’ve yet to find anyone that wants to volunteer to get shot by a .22 LR round to demonstrate just how feeble and incapable they are.

Yes, all other things equal, a 9mm or a .45 ACP is going to be a better defense round than a .22 LR. But all other things are never equal, and the best self-defense firearm for you is going to be the one that you’re well-trained and confident with.

As others have mentioned, ammo selection for self defense will be important. As will regular and consistent training.

Mike

3 Likes

If all you can handle is a 22, then go for it. NOBODY WANTS TO LEAK. I read many reports from doctors what a 22 can do. But as been said, PLACEMENT better be good.

3 Likes

Been experimenting with different calibers in EDC, and clothing variances. Busy life: Even with EDC gear, I’m learning it requires checks and double checks. Only two of my pants are of the “cargo” type; They’re comfortable, and the .22LR spare rounds so light in weight, I almost left them in those convenient pockets and almost put them in the washing machine, ammo and all. Handle with “extra” care?

I just got an email about Federal’s 22LR Punch self defense round. A reliable round is is one of the reasons why people don’t want to rely on a 22 EDC. Would like to get my hands on a bunch of these just to test. Maybe more ammo manufacturers will follow suit.

2 Likes

And if you want to read the long version:

Throwing Punches (federalpremium.com)

Reason for edit: original link did not work

1 Like