2 Shot Dead at Texas Church and 1 in Critical: Concealed Carriers Stop Attack

4 Likes

Jack Wilson describes what happened.
2 Likes
3 Likes

Well…I guess I don’t need to preach about security in places of worship…but I will.
Houses of worship are peculiar. They need to be open for everyone but it is imperative that there be a clandestine security forces that is trained and is constantly updating training.

Yes, I agree it is a sad time when we have to be talking about this but evil is an ever present addition to the equation. Security in places of worship is purely reactionary. It takes people to be trained in observing people who are unstable or intent on criminal acts.

Doors must remain open for those who wish to commune with their creator but like Nehemiah we need to post guards on the wall as the people prayed.

With funding disappearing from mental health services they naturally migrate to Houses of worship to find help, as they should. It only makes sense to seek help from those who will accept them as they are…just like Jesus.

It is also imperative to have a trained security force that can recognize unstable individuals and talk with them with love and understanding but also be ready to act if the need arises.

In my experience it helps to calm individuals down if you just talk with them and maybe offer them something to drink like a cup of coffee. The act of drinking something has a calming effect to people who are deeply agitated. A good example is the watering holes on the Serengeti when predators and prey come to drink because they all have something in common.

Like I said churches are peculiar. Churches must keep their doors open and the people receptive but we cannot close our eyes to danger and think it won’t happen to us.

Needless to say the Church I attend have Teams in place and train at an indoor range with different situations. They are vetted, compassionate, caring, and marksmen/women.

Ok I’m done.

4 Likes

@45IPAC
I don’t have the answer but I do wonder about hearing the suspect had a false beard and wig on. That might have alerted people to some extra security. Short of stop and frisk however I am not sure they didn’t do the best they could. I hope the days of metal detectors and not headed for our churches in the near future. They are already in some of our schools and hospitals.

I have been in team meetings and often take the position of if I were the one making the attempt how would I do it and what would I expect the security to do. I then wonder how I would defend against myself. The suspect here had a slight advantage in doing the unexpected. At that range a shotgun is hard to defend against and yet they stopped him after two rounds were fired.

It is one of the methods the military use to train people. Have aggressors come up with attack plans and teach the defenders how to deal with them. But as you say there is no way you can plan for everything.

3 Likes

Amen!

It’s ironic when someone wants to secure it’s boundaries others are against it.

It’s like today, my mayor posted about the 97 arrest that Louisiana State Police, Caddo Sheriff’s Office, and Shreveport Police made in connection to drug, illegal gun possession investigations last week, I had to defend him on social media due to the out cry against fighting crime in their neighborhood.

In all truth their dealer got popped is what it comes down too.

2 Likes

One of the members who died was a security team member and was drawing but got hot on the draw cycle.

Mr. Wilson was a firearm instructor, retired sheriff deputy and his training kicked in. He said there were folks between him and the bad guy and that delayed his action somewhat.

As for any cc folks that were engaging, an older lady carrier, iirc she was 85 or 86 also had her weapon out.

The security staff was aware of the bad guy because he was wearing a wig and beard. They also had a camera focused on him when they spotted him. And the staff member who was killed, had come up and sat behind him when he sat down.

Observation, training, and organization were the key factors in the resolution of this event. There were no less then 7 visible carriers ready to confront and engage.

I had shared one of the stories to my fb friends and timeline and as of 1am on the 31, there were over 400 comments posted to that story. And at least 15 other stories I had looked at in the last 2 days.

Btw I have no idea who most of commenters are.

4 Likes

My family’s prayers to all involved in this horrific situation. Our church just started working putting together our security team. There have been a few questions that have come up as we make this happen. (This may not be the proper forum for this, but here goes). I wonder if any of those involved in the shooting were USCCA members? If we are members of USCCA is our coverage void if we are involved in an incident as part of an organized church security team? Our church liability insurance will only typically cover the paid church staff and duly elected board members. We have asked this question of our insurance carrier and have yet to get an answer. Some have said it is best to not have an organized, publicized security team as it can increase your liability? In other words, build your team, but don’t tell anyone about it. I am sure laws will vary from state to state. Maybe it would be best to consult an attorney?

3 Likes

We have met twice with our local PD, and they emphasize the very same thing:
“Don’t let them get in the door”.

3 Likes

I think you’re covered but well get @dawn to confirm.

I think most churches are keeping the details very quiet… team does not wear security identifiers and is not publicized to the congregation. Not sure if they keep secret that there is a team though.

That would be wise, maybe one from the USCCA network who is firearms law knowledgeable.

2 Likes

I watched the Active Self Protection video above, very good analysis. One point I must disagree with - the gentleman advocated getting down once shots are fired. I think one should be getting OUT as fast as possible. You don’t know if he is wearing a suicide vest, best to increase your distance and get out of the structure. Granted, most of the folks in the video are older, and cannot spring to the exit. But some are frozen or attempt to get closer to the downed shooter, when they should be doing the opposite. Honestly, I don’t know if I could do any better…

3 Likes

@Jim14, @Scott28 welcome to the discussion and adding your inputs. They will always be appreciated.

As to keeping them outside of the church, how do you know their intent? We are not mind readers and can’t determine what anyone will do. Judging from his attempt at disguising his identity if he was confronted outside of the church by a team member then what would stop him from shooting the member and then continuing inside? My question to the local PD would be how do you keep him outside? Lock the doors? Issue everyone a key card to enter? Fire codes require doors to be unlocked in occupied buildings for safety reasons in many locations, violate fire codes?

In Texas it is a right to carry unless posted or verbally notified into places of worship in response to previous attacks in churches, including one where 20 were killed and 27 more injured.

3 Likes

Hi Everyone - we don’t do this sort of thing publicly often, so I thought you’d want to know about it:

Unfortunately, recent weeks have seen an uptick in attacks on communities of faith across the U.S. From the shooting at the West Freeway Church of Christ to the increasing violence in the Jewish community of New York City, these situations affirm our mission that education and training can help save lives.

Through Jan. 31, we will be donating all profits from the sale of our new book — Keeping Your Church Safe — to the West Freeway Church of Christ and several organizations within NYC’s Jewish community.

Click the here to purchase. Together we can have a meaningful impact.

5 Likes

@Dawn I’m interested in the book, both for the content and the cause, but that link doesn’t appear to take me to it and I don’t see it in the USCCA store on the member site.

3 Likes

@Dawn, I’m not getting it on the link either… check for us?

3 Likes

I like the concept and searched for the book in the store (to no avail). I’m not a member of a congregation but would like to support if there was way to donate via USCCA or buy the book for another congregation in need.

4 Likes

Our local PD said there are things you can observe to determine if someone is worthy of further scrutiny. Profiling if you will. It is not an exact science so you do the best you can. We lock all doors once service starts (folks can exit as the doors only lock from the outside) and security folks are strategically placed to monitor the door for late arrivals, and watch the congregation from two locations in the main auditorium. It is kind of interesting however, no one has ever (yet) asked why the doors are locked??

2 Likes

Our’s does this same tactic but don’t lock doors.

1 Like

@Zee
I got it and ordered the book. I believe I got it on my email. @Justink have paid for mine already. @Dawn

1 Like

I was very saddened by this. The video bothered me more than I was willing to admit to myself initially. We had Watch Night services last night and I was on high alert. I realize that I had become complacent over 2019. We had a few “moments” over the course of the year but nothing that required anyone to use their firearm. Certainly, I thank The MOST HIGH GOD for that. I remember asking about installation of metal detectors at the main entrances back in 2018 but it was denied. I think, even now, about how the courthouse has metal detectors soon as you walk in… Can’t tell me it’s more important to protect the sanctity of legal proceedings than the house of prayer full of folk? :v:t5:

3 Likes