15 year old, self defense shooting

5 Likes

Tragic event for the entire family. The son will carry this for the rest of his life. Very sad.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if he needs to. Defending yourself, mother or siblings from angry father is a natural behavior. It’s not a killing, so nothing to blame yourself for. It is self preservation and family protection.

4 Likes

while I agree :100: with you @Jerzees it will still be tough on the kid.

4 Likes

Hopefully he becomes tougher and better protector.

2 Likes

Just another dysfunctional family fight, but this time with firearms.

2 Likes

Yes, it is for family protection but at the same time it is a family member. Defending your family is a good thing but the feeling that you had to kill a family member in order to do that is probably one of the toughest things you will ever have to do. I am absolutely certain that it does stay with you for the rest of your life even though it is a natural behavior, and self-preservation. To the person that had to fire the shot, it is a killing even though they had to do it to keep someone else they loved from being killed. Even with family around saying you did what you had to do to save everyone else, I don’t think that feeling ever goes away.

4 Likes

We can discuss this till the end of the World… and never find the truth. Only the boy will know if this day affects his further life or not.

4 Likes

I think this sentence could be written as “attack” as opposed to fight, as fight implies willing participation, and also “but this time, on level ground” since firearms are what people (generally) equal despite different physical statures/sizes/strengths

3 Likes

More proof of the destruction of the nuclear family.

2 Likes

Every cop has gone to hundreds of family fights where one family member assaults another for whom they formerly professed love. Sometimes the fight spills over to assaulting the cop they called to mediate their familial dysfunction.

2 Likes