12GA vs 20GA…buckshot vs birdshot

Agree that a rifle or shotgun is easier to shoot for most. But it would be harder for me to grab my son and maneuver in tight hallways with him and a rifle or shotgun.

I also use the majority of my limited training time to practice with a handgun since that is what I usually have with me. So I am more confident with my pistol and my abilities in the tight quarters of my home than I would be with a rifle. My pistol is loaded with an extended mag so the capacity is similar to a rifle.

If I needed to shoot at targets outside my home I would reach for the rifle. I would likely stage a rifle in my families safe spot if I didn’t live in such a low crime area and felt I couldn’t cover it effectively with my pistol. Happy to continue this conversation elsewhere.

Agreed! That’s why it’s so important that we take all opinions and advice and put them through the “Does this apply to MY life?” filter before adopting.

3 Likes

Horses for courses.

For defending a position, a rifle is golden.
For holding off a mob, a shotgun will launch more lead projectiles into the atmosphere more quickly.
For repelling an attack up close and personal, a handgun is the stuff of legend.

However whatever you have at hand is going to be more useful than a threatening letter from your attorney (and at hand does give a tip of the hat to a hand gun)

So long as you do your part.

1 Like

Agree that it matters more that you be well trained and practiced with whatever flavor you choose. But in the incredibly unlikely event that a mob comes marching down my street I personally would feel much better defended reaching for my rifle and a pouch full of 30 round magazines than for my shotgun that I can ghost load up to 7 rounds max.

1 Like

And in that case the over penetration of FMJs is an asset!!!

3 Likes

I love turkey loads in my twelve gauge, the last gobbler I got left a bruise on my shoulder that reminded me for a few days that I got that sob😁

3 Likes

I had fired 20+ in a row to break in and pattern my new gun. The bruise lasted quite awhile and my only reward was finding out I have a reliable shotgun. Which I guess was worth it but not as tasty as your result!

3 Likes

When I patterned mine the 4th shot hit 6 foot in front of the target… super flinch😁

1 Like

I have a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 and a 20 gauge Shockwave. Both loaded with 00 buckshot. Got the 20 gauge for home defense, it’s smaller, easier to maneuver and has less recoil for better follow up shots. My view is getting hit by either 12 or 20 at close range is going to slow the perp down so either is acceptable as far as I’m concerned.

1 Like

I’m only aware of #3 buckshot commonly available in 20 gauge. Occasionally I have seen #2 buckshot for 20 gauge but no larger sizes. The bore diameter of a 20 gauge will not allow larger sizes of shot to stack side by side (such as two 000 pellets) or in clusters of three (like three 00 buckshot) does in 12 gauge cartridges. The larger size pellets just don’t fit correctly to work in a 20 gauge.

This is my first post here so I hate to say that the people posting above about larger buckshot sizes in 20 gauge are wrong, but I have never seen them in store bought cartridges.

A 12 gauge shotgun is the most versatile as far as available ammunition choices. There are even “low recoil” offerings. There are mini shells that are shorter than standard length which increase the capacity of tube magazines (if you can get them to feed reliably) but they are even lighter in recoil.

Factory buckshot is readily available in 000, 00 #1 and #4 in 12 gauge. There are ball and buck loads with a bore diameter ball and buckshot pellets combined in the same load. Then there are the cheaper birdshot loads. In-between are turkey loads. Plus coyote loads that haven’t been mentioned above. If you purchase a model 500 Mossberg or Remington 870 There is an abundance of aftermarket accessories out there such as ways to attach a flashlight etc. With the less common brands and models there are less options and the resale value probably will not be as good if you decide to sell or trade towards something different.

1 Like

@Barry54 Welcome to the community. You are correct about the 20ga. Again welcome. :us:
Personally I prefer Steel “T” shot. I have seen what it will do on game.

1 Like

Bruce, thanks for the welcome!

T Shot size is impressive! I believe that is what the Heavi-Shot brand is loading in their coyote loads. Just a little smaller than #4 buckshot and a higher pellet count to go along with it.

You just can’t beat the versatility of a good shotgun. There are even rubber buckshot loads for repelling nuisance animals. About the only thing that was in stock six months ago.

1 Like

When I was assigned to patrol, we carried the Remington 870 in 12 gauge with 00 buck in an extension, and 5 rifled slugs in a stock sleeve. We trained, trained, and trained with that, and I was quite comfortable with it. Therefore, I kept two at home, 1) PD short barrel with the same configuration, and 2) a vent rib longer barrel “birder” with the same configuration.

Now that I am older, I gave the 12 gauges to my sons and dropped to .20 gauge but the exact same styles. My wife and I can comfortably handle these.

I researched ammo tests and found that with high quality buckshot loads the 12 gauge held a 97% first shot knock down ratio. Meanwhile, the 20 gauge came in at 94%. I accept the loss of only 3% in exchange for the easier gun to fire and train with.

BTW, I have placed plastic light catching sights on all my shotguns, which even work in “lower” light training. They are simple, but often simple is better.

4 Likes