Whats your hiking/camping gun and why?

I watched that video. That was crazy. I’m excited to see the other video installments. You meet some characters at campgrounds for sure.

One good reminder from that USCCA camping video was there is definitely a time to be passive and a time to be assertive.

1 Like

Lol, i havent been in long enough to lose my love of camping yet. But my dad did.

1 Like

Just talked to a brother Knight tonight about his carry. He carries an S&W 500. He bought it while living in Alaska to stop a Pokar Bear in case he ran into one. He’s here in North Texas now but travels a bit. He said the special rounds he uses with it cost about $4 each. I believe it’s over a 500 grain projectile.

1 Like

Backpack pistol: Herritage Rough Rider .22/.22wmr 6.5 barrel.

Backpack shotgun: Midland Backpack, Shells/Slugs. Slugs should stop most threats out there.

Those 2 are incredibly simple, reliable, and lightweight.

1 Like

I want to get a S&W 500, but that darn money thing keeps getting in the way. I dont think i would ever carry it into the woods just because i still want practical follow on shots, and i havent heard of CCI varmint shot beimg produced in that caliber.

1 Like

I understand a long is the best option. But I’m not looking at a day hike with a long gun. I will start looking at hunting rounds vs defensive rounds for a 10mm. I might just alternate them in a magazine.

As far as revolver goes. I’m looking for decent capacity and I already EDC a striker fired pistol and am extremely familiar with the Glock platform. Hence looking at those options instead of a revolver.

1 Like

Fair enough. I usually get a little dirty on my trips so i dont want to risk malfunction

1 Like

I use Buffalo Bore 220 grain hardcast. That’s what most guides I talked to carry in 10mm.

2 Likes

A wheel gun can jam, and when they do they are next to impossible to clear without tools. You just have to do weapon maintenance.

3 Likes

WOW! Usually people are proclaiming that revolvers never jam. Nice to hear that you all realize that it can happen and how to resolve it.

2 Likes

Anything with moving parts can jam

2 Likes

I totally get that, @Orpackrat! You’d be surprised how many people I’ve talked to on the USCCA Facebook page who are adamant that revolvers cannot jam. :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

But can a jar of Jam be Jamned?

1 Like

Yeah, because when they do jam it’s considered a catastrophic failure. Lol.

2 Likes

@Jonathan1 yes it can, superglue or dried jam on The threads do the same job.

1 Like