What training should new gun owners do first?

LOL “FRONT TOWARD ENEMIE”. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Had that on a T-Shirt, several of us got to wear for softball and volleyball against the ‘students’.

1 Like

Welcome to the community :+1: Very valuable safety and frustration point!

Way back in the old days before Al Gore invented the internet, price gouging Cheaper Than Dirt used to mail out ammo catalogs to browse and order from. Each catalog had pages of charts showing the basic performance characteristics of every brand and model of cartridge they sold. It is incredible how many different cartridges there are that shoot the same exact diameter bullet, but are not compatible with every gun that shoots that bullet.

2 Likes

I strongly believe that training for first time gun owners should be as follow:
Firearms Safety
Specific platform operations
Range Ethic

3 Likes

Welcome to the party

Good idea on training.

Safety should always be first… and never forget… ‘pointy end downrange’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Old thread… but still good info for beginners.
I’ve recently found out that the best first course for beginners would be “NRA Basic Pistol”.
I’ve been always advocating “Basic courses”, but NRA’s one seems to cover all that beginer needs to know and practice. Easy, simple and ends up with knowledge exam and shooting qualifications.
Finishing that course each beginner is certain he / she knows the basics.

2 Likes

One of the first things I do with a brand new gun owner is to let them use a pair of my electronic ear pro. Then we go out on the range and stay at the back of the range and tell them let’s just stand here and get acclimated to the sound and concussion. Then we start with a .22. I want them to start out feeling successful.

1 Like