What does the other guy Know?

I’ve trained in hand to hand,edged weapons,firearms tactics in urban warfare…lol.Working out and training is all i did in the Army.I was thinking the whole time ill never need half of this…then came deployment.Then and only then did I realize that the fighting skills I acquired kept me alive.Since then I don’t train near as often except the physical training.I don’t think any encounter with a thug in the street can compare to the Taliban.At this point I don’t worry at all about what the other guy knows.Remain focused and remember your training you should come out on top.

2 Likes

It’s true that you just don’t know how skilled the bad guy is but odds are that the work ethic and self discipline required to get skilled are attributes the typical thug lacks, which explains why they’re thugs in the first place.

2 Likes

You should train to fight so you can get to a position to use your weapon. If needed of course.

2 Likes

This is a gentle version. A lot of things are not shown or mentioned and, more as Mr. Mike ( 164 ) has mentioned.

4 Likes

A thug on the street can be actual Taliban these days.

3 Likes

Those guys don’t want to run into me now anymore than they did then.Im not racist,but I don’t like middle easterners.Will never trust or care for a one of them.

1 Like

Like my Dad used to say - prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

2 Likes

I am sitting here writing this with my right knee just screaming at me and at least for now my left knee is quiet for a change. At my age and in my physical condition I am what the cops call a target victim. Knowing that I plan to cheat from the get-go. When out and about beside a 3 5/8" thumb stud knife which I have practiced with for long periods, including reading a book on non-lethal but disabling cuts and practicing slicing to those areas; I carry the Kimber pepper spray device which uses some propellant other than canned gas; I carry the KaBar cane which is a heavy aluminum cane for both assistance in walking and it is heavy enough to ring one’s bell and at home a firearm is my constant companion in my possession. In addition, I have made a point to assess the location and application of normal every day household items that can operate as defensive weapons. And I have determined that I will use maximum force in any confrontation that seems to be escalating. All that said, I am a peaceable guy and do my best to avoid any kind of situation where ego is at play. One of the “experts” I follow calls it the “monkey dance”. He maintains engaging in the monkey dance is stupid. He also maintains that other potentially violent situations are dangerous and it is important to be able to distinguish between a monkey dance and the truly dangerous situations and to take the initiative with the idea of ending it right then and there as violently as is required.

I certainly am not in any kind of physical condition to engage in any exchange of non-assisted violence. I studied judo for four years on Okinawa, Japan and here in the states and I know that size does matter. I studied it in those overseas locales before weight categories and know the history of why weight categories were instituted which I won’t discuss here. I met the Japanese judoka who was defeated by Anton Geesink. Didn’t compete with him. I wasn’t too lowly to be any kind of competition and too small. He wanted the biggest guys he could find and the most skilled. He was traveling through the U.S. visiting every dojo and challenging every judoka who had the skill lever or who was big enough to meet his criteria.

My sensei on Okinawa was an 8th degree, the highest you could go without engaging in judo politics at that time. And, because he was from Okinawa, he would never be promoted higher at that tme. I learned about the aura that highly trained in martial arts folk seem to have about themselves. He was about 5’8", 150 pounds and very quiet but one could feel something radiate from him that told you not to mess with him. Can’t describe it any better than that, but all the gaijin in the dojo remarked about it.

2 Likes

I know what you mean and it’s not always from trained fighters. I’ve walk by men and women on the street and said to my self, “she/he knows!”. It just a feeling but it’s for real.

1 Like

Mike, as a kid growing up in the 60’s, in Brooklyn, NY. My father always read me the riot act at that very young age: “No matter how bad ass you think you may be, there’s always gonna be someone, bigger, stronger, tougher, faster, quicker and smarter than you… so be careful not to let your tongue run faster than your brain”. Being humble, talking softly but confidently, be confident but not arrogant, and doing your best to not show fear, even if you were afraid, would often put doubt in another’s mind as to your abilities and the possibility that those abilities were at a higher level than their own. Although I was trained in the martial arts as a very young person, was street smart, and could take care of myself, talking and acting the way I noted above, kept me from rarely ever having to prove how tough I was… it also proved highly beneficial to me as well… I was rarely forced to find out how tough the other guys were. This wisdom and common sense driven into me by my father, has served me well, along with my military service and ongoing training through the years. I would say that I don’t believe there’s a well trained individual out there… one of the “good guys” that ever wants to find out how good they are when today’s conflicts way too often involve the use of firearms. When I was a lot younger and had to fight- when there was no alternative, I usually just had to worry about avoiding getting too banged up… today it’s not same… it takes literally no energy to pull a trigger… and unlike getting punched or kicked, and bruised, a single bullet can end your life. So Mike, I agree with you 100%. Avoid conflict unless there are no alternatives and then if you must engage, PRAY your are better trained and more importantly that you know how to use that training. I’ve met many a golfers over the years that had a scratch handicap at the driving range… but we’re rarely, if ever able to transfer their range talent to the golf course… Take care my friend and stay safe. Don

3 Likes

Don J, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Thank you Mike. Take care.
Don

The bad guy might not go to a structured facility or shooting range but he might be very practiced up on shooting people. Real life experience on how to do it and survive multiple times by the bad guys is what makes them so dangerous.

2 Likes