Was not impressed by local P.D

I have had enough experience with the local City officers and the Sheriff’s around here to not trust them very much. I drive a muscle car (100% legal) and I am pretty respectful on the road. I have been pulled over and hassled for no reason by City cops. I was pulled over 1 time for no front plate (required in NY). I fixed it and was stalked for months. My wife and kids have witnessed this. I talked to a friend of mine who coincidentally was the Public Defender of our County. We had a VERY long conversation about this. The end result was if I filed a complaint, I would be hassled even more. I solved the problem by whipping out my cell phone and snapping a pic of him pulled in front of me checking for a plate. This was 6 months later. It all stopped after that.

The Sheriffs are simply rude all of the time. I have called them (not 911) regarding illegal solicitation (my town has very strict laws about this). I describe the person, tell them everything and always tell them I don’t need an officer to show up. They always do. They treat me like crap. They know the rules in my town as the department is 2 stone throws from me. The town tells us to call them (not 911) to report them. Now to make it interesting, I usually get a call form one of the town officials a few days after thanking me for reporting the person! Most of the town officials live near me.

I’m a casual guy. Even when I had an office, we still dressed down. I wear Tie Dyes regularly. (got one on now). I don’t look upscale at all. I drive an almost 20 year old Trans Am or a 2019 Caddy. I play the poor boy and the rich boy but I’m just middle class.

My wife is a certified car seat tech and when she does re-training with the Sheriffs, I always take my Trans Am down for them to use for a day. It’s awful to install seats into and only a couple actually fit. This was how I actually got some respect in the end. Enough know my car and wave at me.

I was taught growing up to treat people with respect. I do this still today but when Law Enforcement does not do that to me, I have a problem with it.

The State Police however are the nicest people and I likely wouldn’t lie to them.

3 Likes

I think Mike is referring to the fact that police expect everyone to lie to them.

That is very unfortunate, @Sneezy. I grew up in a small town where everyone knew everyone else’s business (ugh!). Police Departments are definitely different from town to town and from small town to big city. I believe you will give police officers you encounter the benefit of the doubt until the point where they might give you a reason to request to deal with someone else or another department.

2 Likes

:pensive:
Unfortunately World is not perfect… and will never be, if we expect lies at first from everyone.
But even that isn’t it still a crime to lie to LEO?

2 Likes

I would not have liked that at all myself. That almost seems like it should be infringing on rights. Luckily, I didn’t have that problem when I had my home invasion a couple of years back. I told the dispatcher on the phone that I had a weapon so the responding officers knew more of what they were getting into when they got here. By the time the first officers got to the area, the perp has already left and gone to a neighbors house around the corner. When the officers came back to my house for my statement, all I had to do was show them my weapon so they could get the make and serial number for my statement. Of course I had to unload it, but there was no confiscation or “securing” it.

1 Like

What if he had refused to answer, when asked if he was armed?

1 Like

It is NOT a crime to lie to state or local law enforcement in Kentucky with the exception of giving a false name. And yes, I was earlier referring to the fact that police expect that who ever they talk to is going to lie to them. This is also why police are skeptical about what people tell them.

3 Likes

That depends on the law where you are located.

1 Like

I was earlier referring to the fact that police expect that who ever they talk to is going to lie to them. This is also why police are skeptical about what people tell them.

Our lead detective once told me that his first rule is “everybody lies.” He was a little loose in his definition of lying. Yes, some people deliberately give false information. But he also meant that victims aren’t always capable of giving factual information, and their stories often change as they mentally and emotionally process what happened to them. That’s why evidence it’s so crucial, because victims and witnesses are not wholly reliable.

… which is another reason why USCCA teaches us to talk to an attorney before giving a formal statement, I assume.

4 Likes

If they feel that unsafe with someone being armed who: is vetted repeatedly (Michigan CPL, Arizona CPL, Michigan Gaming License for working security which randomly runs background checks on me monthly) then they don’t need to be on my property! Anyone THAT paranoid doesn’t need to be armed around my family. Period.

2 Likes

I have a huge problem with anyone trying to enforce their POLICY on my PROPERTY. Policy is not law. I have a policy on my property… I’m always armed. I was not in the situation so it easy to say what I would do so here it goes. Respectfully decline, inform officer I’m a licensed concealed carrier on my own property that is not a suspect in any crime. Ask for supervisor if he insists.
Ask if he would he disarm every concealed carrier he may notice carrying in every public place he goes even though they are also not suspects in any crime? I think I would have to push it to the end result whatever it may be.

3 Likes

John367 - excellent advice. If I am the property owner in the same situation and the officer does not offer that conversation, I would reword things to communicate it or ask the officer where I should take my family so they can do a complete sweep and are aware of our location.

3 Likes

@Michael463 and wife. Welcome to the community, we are glad to have you here.
Love your bio, Nancy and I had a good laugh. Thank you. Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy. :wink:

3 Likes

The moment someone calls 911 and requests assistance, emergency services has permission and an obligation to enter the premises and ensure everyone’s safety. I worked as an Emergency Medical Technician for a police department in the people’s republic of New Jersey for 10 years. We were frequently assaulted by “innocent bystanders” in the line of duty. Domestic violence frequently spills over to the rescuers. We were trained to not enter a scene until it was secured and that means everyone in handcuffs or disarmed and isolated from the drama. As entertaining as your comment was, I am surprised the cop was calm enough to laugh. I’m also surprised you were allowed to remain on scene without handcuffs around your wrists.

6 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this for about 13 hours now, there is a lot of what -IF- on both parties. Police officers in counter all kinda stuff, here in my home town, a young 20 year old male went into a business and fired 2 or so shoots into the ceiling and then shouted call the cops, so they called 911 and when the officers showed up he opened fired on them. One officer was shoot in the leg.
I think that sometimes they do what is needed for them to feel safe, not knowing what their getting themselves into. For me this is a real hard decision to make, because we all want to feel safe and go home to our loved ones. @ Michael473

4 Likes

I wouldn’t debate a response as unwarranted, just wanted to share. It can happen to you…

1 Like

Thank you, sir.

2 Likes

I absolutely understand this perspective. Some places in big cities are not safe for EMTs to work, at all. Florida passed the law allowing EMTs to be armed in high-risk situations.

At the same time I expect common sense, not one-size-fits-all draconian action from police. Maybe a police officer could see difference between a home owner family and some prowling thugs, or is it too much to ask? Or is it being too subjective, and not fair to folks that live in crack houses? The law must treat everyone the same, you know, if you handcuff a naked meth head and take away his machete, you should do the same to a home owner with CCW.

2 Likes

So, I would want to know where he was going to secure it at. I would ask if he would please secure it in his vehicle if I could not convince him to allow me to secure it myself. If he placed in his vehicle until he or she returns that is one thing but If they secure it in their belt or on their person someplace, then that would worry me. I have been in contact with LE for 40 plus years. I know that most, 98%, are great folks. Once in a while you run across the LE that has less than interesting scruples and decides, in an encounter, to use your weapon instead of his. That proposes a whole new issue. I know this sounds way out of the norm but not sure at times these days. If he uses the weapon then comes back and hands it to you with your fingerprints on it. Well??? Again, most LE are great people. I have been an LE in years past.

2 Likes

It seems like the basic gripe is caused because of lack trust in the police to return private lawfully owned property.

2 Likes

What is a “LEO” request?

2 Likes