Warning shots

Social Media/Forum posts will definitely be used by a prosecutor if someone is ever in a physical self-defense incident. Good point, @WildRose.

And unfortunately, deleting will not 100% remove the post. The only way to improve your online standing is to show you’ve learned and grown after making comments that are off target. It’s a battle that can be won, but it will be an expensive battle and there are no guarantees it won’t taint a jury against the person who had to defend themselves.

4 Likes

True but it will prevent red flags from being thrown up on the cursory search.

Everything lives forever in an archive somewhere if they search hard enough.

2 Likes

Here’s a great article from Attorney Tom Grieve about warning shots:

2 Likes

I’d say he’s pretty right on “target”.

4 Likes

The “warning shot” should be verbal. Nothing leaves that barrel without an intended target.

5 Likes

“0” warning shots.

2 Likes

I cannot believe I didn’t post this earlier! Here’s another blog post about warning shots. This one is by Kevin Michalowski:

1 Like

I’m glad that this category exists just to let people know to NOT use a Waring Shot however, I wonder why we even need this category as it should be taught during the first lesson of Shooting Firearms that you should never shoot a warning shot and the ramifications of doing so. It is sort of like the Ready to Assemble furniture you buy in a box and the label reads: “Must Be Assembled Prior To Use.” (No kidding! When I worked in Home Improvement stores, packages actually had this on the box.)

1 Like

In Wisconsin we don’t have to take a shooting lesson to own a firearm or carry. So if someone hasn’t had any training, a warning shot kind of makes sense - even though it’s really a terrible idea.

2 Likes

@NJStraightShooter lots of people got their firearms education at the movies… not so much the people here. But everyone starts somewhere and that somewhere might be at U of HM (University of Hollywood Misinformation)

1 Like

No warning shots. You are accountable for every round fired. If you are at the point of firing a warning shot it better be justified threat and only fire on the suspect to eliminate the threat.

1 Like

Once you draw your weapon there is no going back.

1 Like

Playing devil’s advocate here, @Peter. :wink:

What happens if you draw your firearm and the attacker turns and runs away? :thinking:

2 Likes

Mission accomplished don’t shoot get a good description and call 911. I had this very scenario play out in real life. Yes I could of shot him in my house but why he was fleeing and I’m not shooting them in the back. No harm no foul.

4 Likes

True but then not everyone has formal training and while in most states they are not legal in some they are so the laws differ.

We shoot only to stop the threat and honestly you don’t always have to hit the target to accomplish that so in reality a warning shot in many circumstances could do the job.

There is a simple defense if you use a warning shot and they look at charging you, “That wasn’t a warning shot I just missed”. :smiley:

3 Likes

Never Never shoot your firearm for a warning shot a prosecutor will have your a***. If you have time to fire off a “warning shot” then you’re definitely not in any imminent trouble, imminent danger whatsoever. Definitely not legal in many states.

2 Likes

Never @Peter You can always stop, that’s not clear thinking. A prosecutor will get you in court Sir. Example here in Illinois re: Castle Doctrine; Illinois Castle Doctrine is not one size fits all like for example Florida. Illinois does not allow use of deadly force against an intruder in the home. You can only protect your home. You can only defend yourself if you think imminent death can be prevented. However many local statutes may or may not come into play. It’s meant to protect the perpetrator in my opinion but that’s only my opinion.

2 Likes

Dont think so if my gun is coming out of my holster then its to defend my life period. They can argue whatever they want in court if I have to use force then I have exhauated all other options and my life is in immenate danger.

1 Like