Using AR for hunting

As people become fed up with wild pigs, more action to control their population numbers is being taken. The 2018 Farm Bill allocated $75 million for wild pig control efforts, which provides farmers with technology and infrastructure to control animals on their property while providing money for compensating farmers for losses incurred by wild pigs.
In Wisconsin they are considered vermin and can be shot on sight. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hope for the Wild Hog Problem in Florida | Panhandle Agriculture (ufl.edu)

2 Likes

May I suggest Underwood Ammo.I bought the Controlled Chaos for my 7.62x39 as a SD round. Very accurate.

Shop Ammo - Rifle Ammo - Hunting - Page 1 - Underwood Ammo

Bill Wilson puts his money where his mouth is. and tests his own product. I another vid he says he takes about 500 hogs a year and tests the Lehigh bullets. :money_mouth_face:
FYI. Lehigh makes the bullets and Underwood makes the finished cartridge.
I shoot 4 different Underwood offerings in 4 different calibers. :+1:

1 Like

Depends on farmer, willing to pay for hog shooting. But remember can not shoot an run. FWC fine is by the pound. In my area, i would like to ear canal a hog and drop him in his tracks.

1 Like

My son started hunting with what he had (5.56 AR), and we used the Barnes TSX loads. This is with Mule Deer and Whitetail plus Antelope here in the West. We kept the shots under 200m based on information I got from Barnes on their loads, and where they stopped expanding. He shot several, and so did I. His brother did the same when he started. My wife when she started use the same load to get hers. I know a gal who has hunted with it for decades, using SP’s of some kind.

My issue with using FMJ Ball is that they would just go everywhere, and that lead is tiny pieces all over. I suppose that would matter depending on where hit, and what you wanted to eat. :smiley:

2 Likes

In Florida is about the only place to hunt with FMJ, but only on wild hogs

1 Like

Read a story a number of years ago. This old man that lived back in a haller was acting weird. He finally got sick and his family took him to the hospital. The doctor was stumped until he did and x-ray. The old man had a belly full of lead shot from eating squirrels he hunted. Instead of spitting them out he swallowed them.

3 Likes

I broke a tooth because the girl who shot it didn’t clean steel shot out.

1 Like

My philosophy has always been, “Shoot enough gun.” You owe it to the game you hunt to make clean, humane, one-shot kills - the .223 Remington was developed from their .222 in '57, and to me, it’s just another varmint round - even the 6mm Remington and .243 Winchester are narrowly rated as effective on deer-sized game. A better choice would be a standard 7mm or .30 caliber, where you have several cartridge, bullet, and load choices, and chambered in excellent, well-built rifles.

1 Like

Shot placement is key to any hunt. As I have stated earlier post i use 223, 6.5 Creedmoor. They are effective rounds when placement is good.
Granted a 22lr or 22mag can kill a deer. Its not a round to do it with.
Now I purchase anatomy skeletal targets for practice, training.
Knowing your target skeletal features is part of the key.
If your hunting for the table, a head mount is the least of your worries Head shot.
If your not hunting a cape /head , a neck shot will do severe the spinal cord.
These two shots drop a deer in their tracks.
Now if you dont mind a walk, heart an lung shot is for you.

2 Likes

I built an AR in 350 Legend for my son and a 450 Bushmaster for me. The 450 is more accurate shooting a raged hole at 100 yards. But I also had a bruised thumb and sore shoulder. We traded uppers. His shoulder is much young than mine.

2 Likes