I posted something about the p320 fix a while back. Sigs solution to the drop failures was very simple. They made the trigger lighter. Most companies have a trigger safety or a back strap safety to make the gun drop safe. I posted that not to be a butt, but to point out the solution was not a significant change. Their idea was if the trigger is light, inertia will not make the trigger pull. If there is a trigger safety like most striker fire pistols, there should be absolutely no way for the gun to fire because their is a physical mechanism that keeps this from happening.
It’s also really odd that he said it went off without a trigger pull. Again, the only thing that should be able activate the firing pin release should be a trigger pull.
This really stinks because I picked up the m17 yesterday and that gun felt great, but I definitely won’t ever buy one now. The pistol has had too many problems imo (if I owned the pistol, I may do more research and inquiry, this is the opinion of someone who probably wouldn’t have bought one in the first place.). I have honestly decided my family won’t buy a gun without a mechanical trigger safety. Now the m17 I looked at had a pretty good Manuel safety on it. That probably means the military won’t be effected by this. BUT I still will be avoiding it.
Edit: I wonder if the striker channel was gunky and this caused an issue where the striker release did not fully engage. I’m not a gun smith, I just wonder. You don’t here about this happening with other guns though.