Three most important things in your bug out bag?

I guess my BOB is really a BTH “Bug To Home”. Having been involved with disaster prep with the military and in the civilian world at some fairly high levels my greatest fear is EMP or failure of the “GRID”. Somewhere along the line study came across my desk while in one of those roles by some think tank in DC (I think Rand but I could be wrong) that stated an EMP or catastrophic Grid failure (as in the major power distribution centers were destroyed by whatever means) would take 6 - 9 months to restore to 50% prior capacity.

Further into the study it said in higher population densities that mortality would be at 30% within 30 days without power or refrigeration for the general population. Think about that, three out of ten people you see on a the street will be dead in 30 days with no power. If you think about it and our current “plugged in” culture that number could be higher.

In my area we worry about flooding and Hurricanes (with the occasional tornado and earthquake), to that end unless my abode is compromised I feel pretty good that with careful management I can make it 60 days without leaving the inside of my house. Beyond that I have a 1977 Ranchero with a spare 1972 distributor with points that I can stab into the motor if my MSD6A got cooked and an extra 12v battery not hooked up to anything other than an analog voltage monitor that I keep to fire my generator n stuff. On my well I have a hand prime pump which in a pinch will serve as a water pump. In short my house is my BOB, beyond that I have fall back locations should I decide to make a run for it that are over stocked.

In comparison my bud who lives in Washington state has no kidding bug out bags and bug out GAS. 3 days worth of anything that fits in a back pack, two five gallon gas cans in the garage, two five gallon cans in the shed and two five gallon cans in the other shed. He figures he can get 600 miles away on his own in a day before he has to buy anything if that mountain blows.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

um… yeah. :blush: So do I. :zipper_mouth_face:
30 gal in the regular tanks, and 100 gal extra tank in the bed of the truck. Because… 800 mile trip home.

2 Likes

@Zee

I got you! I am not as extreme as my bud in WA but I am pretty well stocked up on propane with 6 tanks that are left over from my Boy Scout Scoutmaster days along with all that really cool camping/cooking stuff that I have. I actually got voted “Best Kitchen in Camp” twice at the local Boy Scout Camp partially because it all fit in the back of my short bed Ram 2500 as well as all the regular camp gear for a week in the woods. I hauled the 6 X 9 Troop Trailer which held 25 Scouts gear for a week and bulk food. The kitchen camp was MY house.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

-Backscratcher
-Tablet PC
-Umbrella

1 Like

Well, it isn"t hard to see how few people’s lives depend on prescriptions.

2 Likes

It all depends on each person what they think they need

2 Likes

Macallan 12 or Eagle Rare.

1 Like

Flash Light!

1 Like

Food 90 days, water/purification and medicine prescription. That is just the beginning.

1 Like

I chose “Water/Water Purifier”, “Knife” and “Fire starter” based on my experience camping in and out of the Boy Scouts, even after I achieved Eagle. I have camped in both desert and forest, thanks to Arizona’s varying climates. Those three things would be extremely helpful given my experiences, and are light/small enough to carry in a day bag or keep in your vehicle.

2 Likes

My go bag is many things. I go by where I live. There are many things you will not need because you can hunt and gather. Weapons and first aid and ammo are tops for the suburbanite like me. Last point my home is my fortress. Some real real bad things will have to happen to breach my domicile. If you have the means and you are in or around a populated area having a panic room is your best hope of living. Remember. “Luck favors the prepared”

2 Likes

Have some betadine and 70% Isopropyl Alcohol in your kit and don’t worry about the expiration dates.

Just because I live in such a dusty/dirty environment I keep everything in ziploc bags anyhow.

2 Likes

All these comments are great but where’s bourbon on the list?

3 Likes

My truck is my bag, minimum of three hand guns and two long guns, multiple knives, ammo, always an ice chest with water/beer in it! First aid kit and fire starter flashlights toiletries a change of clothes, ziplock bags, trash bags, rope, zip ties. I live in south Texas you never know what you will need on any given day.

3 Likes

Is there a correct answer? If so, what is it? I went with assumption that shelter, water and food would be top priority. Assumed a multi-tool would include a knife.

2 Likes

At least 5 days

1 Like

7 day supply of mre’s and prescription medication

1 Like

Enough to last 72 hours

1 Like

Like others it depends on where I’m at. I do conceal carry but usually only have one clip on me. I usually carry a backup pistol in my car (.45 1911) just in case of anything that could go wrong with my .380. With one additional clip in the trunk if needed.

1 Like

I spent 5 months homeless walking from Georgia to Maine. The three items I could never go long without were water, food, and shelter. I chose water, food, and space blanket. Even para cord became a luxury item when I was cutting pack weight, but I learned my lesson when I mailed my heavy sleeping bag home too soon and experienced thirst far too many times while carrying 4 liters from watering holes.

Details found here:

1 Like