The Ultimate Beginner Handgun

I want to train proper respect and handling first. I want to instill confidence in grip and aim such that when the little pipe goes pop the person driving it sees reproducible marks on paper. I need to get them to demonstrate the hand doesn’t flinch more than the gun jumps, after a short period of familiarization. When they’re comfortable drilling holes inside a circle target show good concentration, and maybe a bit ‘ho-hum’ right then I’ll start doing the round-robin showing them differences between revolvers and semi-autos. And I want them to feel a 9-3.5" pop off smartly in a full-size handful. I want them to absolutely feel the rock of a 45-5", the rise of a 357-4". Get past the introductory fear of these and they may do very well with the hunting calibers in pistol and maybe rifle too.

Oh, I love the Mark IV

1 Like

The first step is getting someone to shoot. The next step is getting them to not quit. A long barrel .22lr makes sense. Easy. Not loud. No recoil. A lot of bulls eye’s.

3 Likes

Probably Instructors have the best idea what works the best for a new shooter. However I think all depends on the shooter. I have seen beginners who shot perfectly 9 mm and beginners who couldn’t handle 9 mm.

From personal experience I’d say start with 9 mm or .380 (whatever is preferable). If you can shoot this you can stay or go higher if you want.
If you cannot shoot it, then either you can work on it or go down to .22LR.

1 Like

Walk then run. I started large because I had no choice.
Everybody’s skills and strength is different. Everyone I ever taught started small. Worked our way up, sometimes in the same day, some longer. Watching the progression is awesome as any teacher will tell you.

5 Likes

The problem then is developing a flinch and an aversion to muzzle blast ,and recoil, all of which need to be tamed first in order for a new shooter to get a handle on accuracy and have fun (so they stick with it)

I have no problem helping a new shooter out with a full size .357 shooting .38s, or even a service size 9mm, but a little time with a ,22 shortens the learning curve appreciably. That is, I think, what makes it the ultimate

2 Likes

Start with the .22 and get the new shooter past fear of the gun “Will it kick?” and let them focus on safe handling. Also a lot of the new shooters I have helped have been kids so a .22 was perfect.

2 Likes

I answered the poll before reading the replies so - my vote for full sized revolver (.22) was with the idea of my 10 year old grandson in mind. We start 'em young around here. :wink:

5 Likes

And that is the true answer for the poll. You make a choice based on your thoughts not based on other people’s replies. :+1:

3 Likes

I vote for starting with small calibers to learn how to shoot at first. Its a money saver, but more importantly, it helps reduce the anxiety a new shooter may have. The Boss actually started with a .25 ACP before I was able to locate a suitable .22 lr trainer for her

2 Likes

Another local instructor has a few glock 44’s. Ammo is avail and inexpensive at todays times. He said he has great success, and then moving the student to larger calibers. Personally, I like the 380 as a starter, but depends on hand size, target acquisition, budget, etc and etc…

I havent shot the 44 or the mark, but do have a finicky walther 22. Not bad…

1 Like

I found my Walther P22 loved Federal Automatch 22 lr 40 gr lead round nose. Looks like Federal has repackaged it as “Champion Training Rimfire 22” Might give it a try if you haven’t already.

I started with a .380 Walther PPK/S. And earned the railroad tracks on the web of my hand; thus demonstrating why beavertails are a good idea! Peppy little pistol too.

1 Like

I started my wife and kids with a Single Six in .22LR.
After about 50 rounds, I swapped cylinders for .22 Mag. All of them had the same response. They gave me that “wow” look when they noticed the difference.
After another 50 rounds, I finished range day with semiauto in 9mm and let them shoot until they’ve had enough.

2 Likes

Agreed, but interesting story, I was once tasked with getting a female student proficient with a snub-nosed .357 S&W Scandium framed ultra-light handgun in ONE AFTERNOON! It’s what she had and wanted to carry and she had a situation in which she needed protection right now. We worked in a big hurry building the fundamentals for her and got her to shooting suitable .38 spl+P hollow points out of that gun at multiple targets, accurately and fast. Lord I needed a beer at the end of that session :joy:

But she is one of my prime examples of what can be achieved when you don’t saddle a student with preconceived ideas. I never told her she couldn’t shoot that gun well and she had a HUGE incentive to get good fast, so I had 100% of her attention and a whole lot of enthusiasm.

4 Likes

That’s very interesting. We certainly can’t dismiss desire as a strong motivator!

2 Likes

CZ 75 one because of the weight of the beast, as well as reliability. The can shoot a 9MM and feel comfortable after you explained to them 90% of enjoying shooting is safety. I spent 2 days with them just picking up the pistol and finger placement from safety, prepare, fire. And it in reverse. I also tell them to always say ALL-CLEAR even when by themselves. Not when they go to the range. They will tap me and say they didn’t say all - clear. I ask if there gun is clear they go, I don’t know, I said why not. They say because they didn’t say it. I ask do they feel safe? They will tell you No.

1 Like

I started with a micro-compact, a P365, and quickly moved to a P320 for regular training. When I picked up an S&W Model-41 in .22, I was amazed at how easy it was to shoot with surprising accuracy, hitting an 8” gong at 50 yards.

So I’m definitely an advocate of starting as big as is comfortable.

2 Likes

I think the ultimate beginner gun is a full-size.

However, I don’t see a problem with someone’s first gun being a subcompact/ wonder 9 if they have fired a gun before. A small framed person buying their first gun with the intention of conceal carry should walk away with a smaller gun. My first gun was a Shield. I would say the M&P compact or Subcompact would be a better first gun, but the Shield worked fine for me.

2 Likes

My opinion is that many people should start in the world of Firearms with an air rifle/pistol. Many of today’ models are so life-like it is had to tell the difference a short distance away. The modern air pistol can teach the basics with out the harm of a 9MM being accidential discharged.
Most of the semi-automatic models, when fired, will blow back the slide adding even more to the realizium of shooting a firearm.
The other advantage to the air powered gun is the low cost of ammo and the fact that the gun can be fired in doors.

Larry

1 Like

Full sizer revolver. Semi-auto pistol controls/levers/switches can be overwhelming.

2 Likes

Me and all people I taught have opposite experience… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Wheel gun manipulation has always been uncomfortable for me. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
To be honest, I’m so glad that I was introduced to semi autos at the very beginning.

3 Likes