The reason for the 2nd amendment

Completely agree. It is in the governments best interest to make sure that its citizens are well armed and well trained. Think how much better off Ukraine would be today if they had an armed and trained citizenry in place before Russia invaded. They wouldn’t be having to rely so much on handouts and training from other countries.

5 Likes

At the time the Constitution and Bill of Rights were written there was no concept of “military grade weapons.” In the U.S., for the most part, weapons were home or locally made. The intent of the Constitution and Bill of Rights is to set limits on the Government and to enable the people to protect themselves from the Government.

2 Likes

Quite a while back the Supreme Court made it clear that the 2A applied to individuals and had nothing at all to do with any notion relating to a standing army or formal (Government regulated) militia.

4 Likes

And it wasn’t too long ago that our federal gov’t was of this same mindset and started organizations like the CMP, to make sure citizens were trained in marksmanship with whatever was the current issue rifles of our military. If we needed a draft, the people being drafted have a big advantage if they’re familiar with modern issue rifles. During WWI, they wanted people familiar with bolt action rather than muskets. Then it was familiarity with the M1 Garand rather than bolt actions, etc. Fast forward in time and you have people like Brandon claiming citizens shouldn’t be in possession of rifles that would be found on a battlefield. :roll_eyes: Quite a change in philosophy.

5 Likes

8 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

7 Likes

It is becoming more and more apparent that this is the Government the Founders warned us about and why the 2nd Amendment was put in place. It is not gun control, it is people control.

4 Likes

Glaringly apparent to me.

3 Likes

I agree with you. During that time in history only men were allowed to vote and no one else had political rights at that time in the 1700s. Women and children were not considered fully citizens. I’m not saying that is correct just that historically the word militia meant all citizens. We have thank God expanded that definition as to what a citizen is today and so the right expressed in the second amendment is expanded also.

3 Likes

This is partially true, but like most things it’s complex. Each state was more self-governing than they are today, so there were 13-15 different systems in place. A common practice was that votes were limited to landowners, because if you were too poor to buy land, then you were too stupid to vote. No vagabonds at the polling place. So not all men could vote, and not all citizens could vote.

Some women could vote. Women like Martha Custis owned their own land. However, when they got married, their husband by law became the manager of the property. So when Martha Custis became Martha Washington, her new husband George got her vote. One house, one vote. (Note that when George Washington died, he could only leave his own property in his will. He managed Martha’s estate, but he never owned it.)

Let’s not talk about the legal status of Black and Native Americans in the 1700s. :frowning_face:

2 Likes
5 Likes

Fortunately additional amendments were passed to ensure that all citizens regardless of race or gender have access to all the constitutionally protected rights!

3 Likes

@Jack2 Brillant. Thanks for posting. :+1:

1 Like

Yes! And thankfully, the founders recognized we’d need a structure in place to adapt and improve.

3 Likes

I ‘got no dog in this fight’, but on a lighthearted note:

When I recently ordered something from Galco, it arrived with a pocket sized Constitution, and two candies. Normally I’d not eat them, but they were very tasty high quality chocolates.

I been reading up on vintage hunting “arms”, and realized even back in 1943, our then forefathers/foremothers were passionate about our rights.

In this 1943 advertisement copied below, I covered the lady in the ad, for respect. Savage is a rarely known firearm maker today, but I learned they had some unique firearms, and I recently added a vintage to my hunting collection.

I heard there were some .22 calibers with two firing pins so instead of just one strike, the casing/rim would be struck with two; Amazing if it increases reliability.

I couldn’t enlarge the photo, so the bottom of the ad reads …

AND THE
SECOND AMENDMENT

2 Likes

When I first began hunting, I was given a leaver action Savage .32-40 with a rotary magazine, another Savage innovation.

1 Like