The Aftermath: He Picked the Wrong House

My only issue is the concept of retreating. In public yes, I’d always try to deescalate and retreat but in my own home; NO!

4 Likes

I don’t retreat in my own home , especially with an armed intruder ! He wasn’t there to negotiate what he takes or destroyed . This isn’t why I carry . I know the Police are grievously overwhelmed , especially now days , things are getting sporty and criminals bolder . I understand how many states have backwards legal restrictions and constraints on gun rights and use , but people decide their fate when they break into your home with a gun to kill you and steal your possessions .

3 Likes

I would not leave my home , if the armed intruder entered my home he would be met ASAP time counts. Stand my Ground, retreating in that case and calling 911 just gives the intruder time to hurt your family. Face the danger , then call 911 , 50/50 is all we have. A different call on an unarmed intruder.

3 Likes

Just wondering … isn’t there a lot of risk holding someone at gunpoint? Perez was armed. Either way, kudos to the homeowner for doing the right thing.

In my house, there are several locations where I would position myself to gain tactical advantage, based on where an intruder would enter. So a retreat to a room isn’t the default for me. Wife and I both have cell phones at our side, so the 911 call would definitely go out, however living in a semi-rural area, our response time will likely be 10 minutes or so. I’m early 50’s and in good shape, however I’m not sure I would take the risk of holding someone at gunpoint, especially an armed 20-something. Having a reliable 4-legged alarm system certainly helps my cause as well.

4 Likes

Probably for the circumstance the homeowner made the best choices at the time of the event, would he do things differently next time might be a better perspective? Especially where you can be sued in California for looking at a criminal in an abusive way!

I wont speculate, but I would have to consider the following. How do I determine a breaking is in progress? Did a noise wake me? I will check security cameras, while preparing for the worst case scenario, if the cameras verify a break in, then its go time! Which means I follow my plan, I am not going to discuss it, but I have spent a lot of time training at home for potential scenarios of various types typical of reported break ins in our city and neighboring areas. Obvious next step is 911, but I know the police’s response time, and they are not quick! What happens next is determined by the intruder.

If I happen to be in a location where it is an obvious break in, the silent panic is hit for our security system, and I will cut off access to the remainder of the house where others are at if possible, in doing so I consider the choke points in my home and use them to my advantage. In defending others, it’s my hope the intruder will surrender instead of escalating the situation.

I think the best takeaway is He didn’t have to shoot the guy!

3 Likes

One of the many of many reasons I love dog’s. Great first alert

3 Likes

In Texas, if someone breaks into your house , and you are at home, then you CAN consider yourself in mortal danger. You do not have time to determine if they are armed. You have to assume that they know you are at home and are ready to deal with you by lethal force. There is nothing to negotiate, you are not required to hold the suspect since you are not the police. You are expected to take appropriate action to defend your life and your family’s lives. You do not warn the suspect. You do not try to negotiate to deescalate the tension.You do not fire a warning shot. You make the first shot a kill shot. If they survive, you keep shooting until the threat is neutralized. Then you call USCCA (first) and then 911.

3 Likes

I will agree that you do not take a warning shot. However, I would suggest some changes to the rest of your comment. We do not want anyone to be confused by our wording or use our wording against us. When we shoot in self-defense, we know our shots may kill, but our goal is to stop the threat. So our first shot - if we’re in imminent, unavoidable danger of death or grave bodily harm - is at center body mass.

If the threat has stopped attacking, we do NOT take additional shots. If the threat has stopped attacking and you continue to shoot, those shots can (and most likely will) be considered to be excessive force or you are the now the aggressor and can be charged as such.

Our intent is NOT to kill, it’s to stop the threat.

And you should ALWAYS call 911 first. Calling anyone else first - including the USCCA will be used against you in court.

You can definitely warn the intruder, “I’m armed and will protect myself and my family.” If they leave, they leave and the aftermath of the situation becomes a police report about an attempted robbery instead of an investigation into a shooting - and possible jail time.

8 Likes

Very well put. We have to continue the message that our only desire is to stop the threat. As responsible gun owners we must continually get our message out to those that think negative and misinformed we are not out to kill only protect ourselves and family. Its a shame that we have to be so careful with our words. The general population does not understand the responsible gun owner.

3 Likes

If the intruder has entered my house uninvited. It’s time to say “Say hello to my little friend.”

3 Likes

With eyes on the intruder, you know where they are, and what they are doing. Retreating to a ‘safe room’, removes that intel and you are blind and simply waiting.

It all depends on the situation though.

3 Likes

IMHO there is not enough details here to offer an opinion. However I do have some comments.

1. Given police precinct size and limited number of officers on duty, I have been told be the police that 30 minutes is the likely response time. NOT GOOD
  2. Holding someone at gun point for 30 minutes is very risky.
  3. Did the intruder display a weapon? Threatened the home owner? War he armed? Were there others in the house?
  4. I live in Alabama and the self defense laws here would have allowed me to use deadly force against the home invader (although I never want to).
  5. Was there someone in the home to assist with securing the invader? I keep large cable ties in the house just in case…
4 Likes

Good point. Once he drops the weapon he is “no longer a combatant” with a gun. Even in Iraq that was the rule of law. But this ain’t Iraq and just because he doesn’t have the gun in his hand doesn’t mean that he’s not a harm. I would keep him at gunpoint and God help him if he/she/it moves a muscle towards me. Like I always say click click bang is faster than calling 911 especially when the leftards are taking the police apart.

2 Likes

I’d hafta give him a chance,but any other movement
after my command would result in some holes in him.

1 Like

Great post Dawn. Few comments…

To your point…every round has an attorney attached to it. Every round will be scrutinized.

Warning an armed intruder is risky but I understand your comment. Action is always quicker than reaction and by challenging an armed intruder committing a crime even if pointing your weapon at them and with their at their side, Good chance you are going to loose the gunfight If the suspect decides to lift his or her weapon and engage you. I suggest members read and research human performance and behavior in high stress and deadly force encounters. Force Science Institute leads the way. I have attended their Force Analyst and De-escalation course and recommend at the very least reading some of Dr. Lewinski’s studies.

2 Likes

This advice is not universal. If you warn the intruder (make a rude gesture or yell threats) in Virginia, you are required to retreat under Virginia’s version of the Castle Doctrine. Needless to say, I do not plan on warning anyone.

1 Like

Paul Harrel posted another video about birdshot at extended ranges.
He found #6 birdshot ineffective at 50yds, barely lodging in the simulated pectoral muscle. At 100yds it bounced off the t-shirt. At short-range, typical home defense distances, like in your usage, it was able to get to the lung at 7yds. I’m not sure about 15 yds, I wish he tested that.

You seemed to have understated the end of that video where he showed the highly effective results of birdshot at 7 yards. Again this reinforces my position. Highly effective at close range (like inside my home) Dissipating quickly at any real range. Watched the video before you posted and thought of you. I’m sure it’s nice to be thought of. Thank you for unexpectedly reinforcing my position, which is going to be within 7 yards of an intruder, BTW. Thanks for making sure that I saw Paul’s video, he is the best!

Interesting. Cite the law please, as I have not heard anything about a requirement to retreat if you give a verbal warning.

1 Like

Source: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/va-gun-laws/

If you give a verbal warning (threaten to harm them), you just became party to the problem and will be held liable if they (or a family member) take you to court. Unfortunate, honestly…