The Aftermath: A Drive-Away Shooting

I feel you on that one, Brother. I’m working on the commercial diesel side of things right now, so I may have a few more years before it hits us.

I have seen a lot of auto makers coming out with hydrogen cell engines that look more promising than EV’s. With minor engine modification, a regular 4 stoke engine can be made to run on hydrogen and we, you and I, still have a spot in the workforce.

5 Likes

Toyota has been big on Hydrogen for a long time but, among other things, delivery of it and a nationwide system of stations for refueling is a massive hurdle

You want the most limited range option there is, now and for years and years into the future, go hydrogen. Your range may be lower than the distance from your home to the nearest fuel option

3 Likes

Im on the same side. Mostly OTR with the occasional pickup. I mostly do driveline work. Clutch, trans, shafts and rears. Ive kinda gotten pigeon holed into the shop welder/fabricator recently, which is fine by me. My washing machine needs a break from all the greasy clothing lol

Sadly from what ive read the industry is planning for 2035, but it wouldnt surprise me if the dingus in the whitehouse doesnt try to force it through faster. I can read the writing on the wall in the OTR industry, time to start building guns and training people, i find it more enjoyable anyway these days

2 Likes

Hydrogen has a LOT of feasibility issues, from fueling stations to transport to explosion hazards. Lithium batteries and all the magnesium these days are already creating dlfire risk issues for FD and first responders. Hydrogen is a whole nother bag of worms

2 Likes

One of my favorite sayings is that a stock Jeep will take you further into the wilderness than any other off the lot vehicle. And sometimes it will even keep running long enough to get you back out😉

I have lost count of how many Jeeps I’ve seen pulled out of the backcountry. I’ve pulled one out myself and rescued a stranded Jeep driver on another occasion. The one I pulled out was with my old low clearance Subaru Wagon. I don’t think the driver ever lived that one down.

The job I work requires reliable high clearance vehicles. A couple of the people I work with have gotten brand new Jeeps in the past. They really do handle the more rugged roads very well though they said they aren’t much fun to drive on windy days on the highway. And I don’t think any of them kept their jeeps for more than a year or two. They just kept having too many issues.

I think the only other truly off-road capable vehicles with a worse reliability rating are Land Rovers.

2 Likes

I pulled kido’s buddies 1 ton Ram Diesel out of the mud with the Barbie Jeep. Talk about not living it down, a canary Yellow 2 door jeep pulling out the manly man Ram. They actually spammed the internet with the pictures of the Barbie Jeep throwing mud all over the bed of the pick up. Kids can be so cruel.

4 Likes

Love it when people in their big fancy trucks get shown up by people in their “girly” vehicles.

I created another hard to live down moment when I was working off of the Rubicon Trail near Lake Tahoe. Coming back at the end of the day I got to a stream flowing fast and deep with snow melt. On the other side was a shinny new hummer complete with mud tires and a snorkel. They were standing there debating if it was safe to cross when I came along in my little leased Ford with street tires and drove right through.

In their defense the water was up a little over the bottom of my doors and they didn’t know that the stream bottom was packed cobblestone. I had crossed in the morning when the water was lower so had a good idea of how deep it was and knew I’d have good traction.

5 Likes

That’s funny I’ve had my Wrangler for 23 years, other than a few sets of tires, a few batteries, I don’t recall any major issues. I did replace a rusted out front fender, not too hard, And it needs an alternator now, but overall it’s a good runner. I hope I’m not jinxing it. There was some warranty work done early on but I can’t remember for what. I do take care of it though.

5 Likes

Glad you got a good one!

4 Likes

I’ve owned a couple of Jeeps. Everyone of them sh!t the bed at 70,000. The plastic radiator was the culprit most of the time.

4 Likes

I have always had Ford 4WD trucks and have had “better than average” luck with them.

Back when I was at Cannon AFB, NM in the late 80’s I had a '78 Bronco, 351 Cleveland motor, Ford C6 Auto. It was the first year of the big Bronco. I had a couple buddies I ran with. One had a Dodge Power Wagon and the other had a Jeep CJ5. We would always go play in the mud when it rained and invariably somebody was getting snatched out of a hole or towed all the way back to base. Usually it was the Jeep.

Nowadays, I have the Expedition. It is a '97 First Gen Eddie Bauer with a factory 4 inch lift. Probably a special order. I have a friend who also has a '97 that is 4WD but not an Eddie Bauer. We have the same size tires, but mine is taller. One of my Son’s has a friend who is not the brightest crayon in the box. He would brag on his 1 ton Chevy Power Stroke 4WD saying he NEVER got stuck anywhere. He cracked on the Expedition with every other breath trying to get a rise out of me. I don’t let it get to me anymore. I have grown out of it. One day he and my Son were out playing in a field after a big rain and the Chevy got stuck. Instead of calling someone to got out there to get them, they walked back to my house, about 5 miles, to ask me to call a tow truck to get the truck out. I agreed I would help and we went back out to the field. Sure enough, he was stuck. I convinced them to let me “at least try” with the Expedition. I waded out, connected the snatch strap, and within a few minutes his truck was unstuck. After the strap was disconnected, I did take the liberty to cover his truck with mud as I drifted past him a few times.

He hasn’t complained about the Expedition lately.

6 Likes

Different cars perform differently (brilliant start to my comment) some cars will only start in Park; some will start in Park and Neutral. It would be helpful if you discovered how your particular vehicle operates. (And I intend to check mine first thing in the morning as I don’t know myself. I suspect only in Park but I need to find out for certain.)

3 Likes

Ummm @Mike164

In your situation it doesn’t sound like a jinx if your car gets shot up. It seems like more of a statistical certainty considering the things you say about where u live. :rofl::joy:

Just kidding. Would not wish that on anyone

3 Likes

I think I should too.

2 Likes

Bruce Eci have a 19,92 . Silverado club cab short wide . With vet mag’s and true dulls and a new crate 3,50,/4. Bolt main. Engine I bought from auto zone.!! And I put it in my self . And its . So kool people ask me to sell it to them and I have five thousand miles on my new . Long block, an it Sounds So nice it’s black . And bucket seats . And I love the sound of . My four barrel carburetor . I have ten thousand dollars in it and still have 3,years on my warranty. And because I did all the work my self . I have a very nice truck . That I could not afford to buy a new vehicle . But I . Can wrench on anything. That’s 90’s or later and I am blessed too . Be able to . Do all my own wrenching. And I do . I never want anything that I do not own. And no I do not work on my truck every day . If I had extra money I . Would . Start on my 93. Cougar.XR.7 and I just rebuilt the . 3.8.,engine in it. And that’s a fun car. And . I put the engine in my 94. Suburban and its . Got a new 3.50. . Fuel injection . TBI. And . It’s Debbie Ann’s and it has two bucket seats and an air bed in the back and an inverter for power. To watch tv. And its custom. And .if I can not buy .fuel. I know how to make moonshine . And that . Fuel. So we are ROOLIN. I . Am not rich . So I have to . Make . My way. And every sense I can remember . I have been . My engines transmissions . If I brake it I can fix it . So I would Like to . Never change . What I know . I i am thankful I Never had to money to go buy a new vehicle . And every one is asking me to . Sell my vehicles every day . How many people in an electric car . Has people every day making offers to by your vehicle . :question: and they are definitely not for sale. . I Feel sad for the electric car guys KAZ the can not work on them . And if they can they have plenty of money . So we are all happy . I an old. SCOOL​:bangbang::100::100::100::us::chile::heart::heart::heart:and very blessed . Paid for . :bangbang::bangbang::bangbang:

2 Likes

RangeMatt I just got offered 20,thousand dollars for my 92?silverodo pick up and I just put a new crate engine in it and new vet wheel and tires and it’s nice . And I all most fell for selling it my . I and thank full I kept it KAZ its is really hard to find them trucks that are like new . I am not Rich so I have to make my vehicles nice and I AM blessed to be able to fix anything on my vehicles and my H.D. :bangbang::bangbang::bangbang: No matter what I can fix it . I have all way had to fix my vehicles and I am blessed to know how an I only work on my own . I have mad respect for people that work on their own stuff . And I saved money . And I love to . Have a great vehicle and it’s paid for. . If I could just figure out how to play my guitar . I would really . Feel smart :100::100::100::us::chile::owl::feather::feather::bangbang:

2 Likes

William 191 I have a 92. Silverado club cab. Truck. And I have vet mag’s and it have a .3.50. Long.Block. An its black with red interior and bucket seats and I just got my new tires and it is so kool . Flow.master EXZOST!!! Fuel injection. And it’s dependable. And I have a dime plate toolbox and it is fun to drive and I like Chevy . And my cougar.X-R.7 . 19,93. 38,hundred v.6, and its is very kool so I don’t have lots of money so I love having my vehicles paid for my property and . I do Not o any one . But my Lord. And Debbie ann. She is the boss. But she is GERMEN my Lord they do not play . But I’m good . I do what she says Bobby Jean :owl::feather::feather::us::chile::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Those old 1990’s GMT400 trucks are becoming classics. They were incredibly well designed and built trucks, for any era. I still have my 1996 4WD Tahoe that I’ve had since it was 3 years old. It is still totally reliable, and I use it as a daily driver right now, even though it’s got 525,000 miles on it. I’ve had lots of other vehicles come and go in the time I’ve owned it, but it just hangs around it’s such a good truck.

It runs and drives just like new with good maintenence. The only major part I’ve ever changed is the transmission after 440K. I got a new GM unit with 100K warranty. The Vortec engine (steel crank/rods, roller cam) has never even had the cylinder heads off. I’ll be driving it on a 400 mile round trip today for a work meeting.

5 Likes

Very kool I wish I had a Tahoe there shorter than my 94. Suburban . But I’m just very blessed to have it and my 92 Silverado club cab truck they do not make them like they did in the 90’s and later!!! We got great vehicles and they truly do last I had two hundred thousand miles on my suburban and I bought a new engine at auto zone !! And replace it and I still have two years on my warranty and it’s great I take care of my vehicles and I . And glad for you and my self every day people ask me if I want to sell them . And I just smile and say . It’s all I got . And I AM not buying anything else I am thankful and my suburban only has the two bucket seats in the front and the back has my queen size air bed and my custom toolbox that holds my tools and my TOOLS. :bangbang: and it’s not going any where with out the truck and my vehicles do not start with keys I have hidden !!! Start switches and so my vehicle will have to be towed if it is stolen and I have . GPS . So I know where my babies are . Very kool if I get some pictures I would love to shear . I have two powerful batteries on Bord and I grate inverter. So I have electricity . And iTunes . And I can stop and help people fix a flat or give them A jump . Or towe them . I have enough tools and two floor Jacks and a bottle Jack . And GASS and diesel . So if any one needs help I can help them and I never charge anyone . And I can call a lot of different churches if I need help more than I can do to help people . And if they need to go to jail . I can help them with that. So if I stop to help anyone I even have water and jerky. . I love to help people . And I will never take money . I Just want my blessings. And I have lights to turn the night in to day . I Just can not take people . With just two seats . Stay safe Bobby Jean :owl::feather::feather::chile::us::100::100::100::dizzy::bangbang:

1 Like

Thank you for the many welcome messages. I noticed one post discussing exiting a vehicle under attack and wanted to comment on the back door child safety locks in this situation. Just be aware of your options when this feature is used. Even for those of you who may need an Uber type ride always make sure the child lock switch is disabled before taking the ride so you will not be locked in and unable to exit. This is especially a tip for women who are concerned about assault within the vehicle. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

7 Likes