Suggested answers when you are asked by a civilian if you are carrying a concealed firearm

If somebody were to ask me that, I think my response would be determined by the situation that I am in, and the present company.

8 Likes

my response would be something like: If i were armed, i would most likely have a permit which would require me to keep that information concealed…but just know, if i am…it’s for OUR protection…have a nice day.

3 Likes

My response has always been; I do not open carry in public
Those who know laugh
Those who don’t are satisfied

2 Likes

This question is in the same vein as “Are you pregnant?” “Are you sure you’re not having twins?” “Can I touch your stomach?” (when you’ve said you’re pregnant.)

It’s no one’s business unless you want to tell them (family, friend, gun-friendly person).

6 Likes

My likely response: “I have A Texas License to Carry”.

3 Likes

I agree with @Dawn on this. It’s just to personal a question and would make me want to deflect, while still reminding that I have other means of defense (ie my 4 K-9 dogs). I just don’t trust another person’s motives on wanting to ask that question. The only people who matter to me, know that I CC. Anyone, other than a LEO I come into contact with in a professional capacity, does not need to know. I do not advertise my 2A beliefs, I don’t have stickers, signs, t-shirts, or anything other than my range bag. That says anything about me, my political, social, or religious beliefs. Well that’s not completely true I do have a spay/ neuter tag on my car.

I just try to blend in as much as possible, keep my SA in yellow to orange, and try to be prepared.

6 Likes

@Zavier_D - I think you have it 100% right. I follow those precepts, too.

3 Likes

I like your answer, “I do not discuss…” Unless there is some legal reason you have to reply to that question, I would decline. You could also turn it around but asking, “Are you?” I don’t care how pushy the person may be, if I’m under no legal obligation to answer, I won’t.

3 Likes

Unless you are in a good setting, gun shop, range, etc with like people…

Just say “Why would anyone need to carry a gun? Guns kill people”

And go about your day.

2 Likes

I don’t know. You could ignore them. You could give the “mind your business” look. Did someone see your gun due to printing or do you open carry? I’ve never seen a random person question someone carrying openly. :v:t5:

4 Likes

People who ask the question about your personal business have a First Amendment right to ask and the respondents also have a First Amendment Right Not to Answer. In other words it’s none of their d**n business. What kind of a moron would ask the question anyway? If someone asked me that question; well I have zero problems being rude to people. They big enough to ask, then they should have their big boy pants on for their answer.

4 Likes

It was a resident in my apartment building. No, no printing or exposed handgun. However, he may have seen me carry my shotgun case in the past, padlocked of course. that may have prompted his question, but I’m guessing.

3 Likes

If it were me asking the question, a none of your business answers and such would make me tend to believe you were…

Just a thought.

2 Likes

Someone I know a while ago asked me that. I replied that they should hug me to find out. They walked away. :rofl:

Don’t ask a question that you don’t want to know the answer to.

Oh, that was also my wife!

You would think she would know better on Christmas Eve at Church…

Sigh.

5 Likes

Exactly why I have been following this thread. I’m looking for an answer that doesn’t answer the question by not answering the question.

If that makes sense.

3 Likes

An idea just occurred to me for a reply to that question ask them an embarrassing question in reply and walk away.

4 Likes

@Derek

What would constitute an embarrassing question?

There is a picture of myself.

Hey, you over there, are you carrying a gun?

What is your response to me?

4 Likes

I can think of a few but in all probability I wouldn’t ask then in public as I am a gentleman, but are you gay comes to mind and I hope not to offend anyone here.

2 Likes

Christ man! We’ve been out here hunting monster Elk all week… what did you think this is? (Holding out 300 PRC rifle)… Say?.. Where’s your backpack by the way? I don’t remember seeing you carrying it after we packed up camp.

4 Likes

Well, to respond to are you gay?

No, but I am intersex, a medical term for a condition of sorts I have and I identify as a straight male and take hormone therapy to be the man I identify as.

Always a bomb I like to drop on people after a debate where they bring up their friends to attack online and claim how they support LGBTQ and other such groups.

One i drop that bomb plus some medical things for them to look up and see, I always win lol, because they are attacking someone they claim to support, lol.

4 Likes