Stupid Human Behavior With Wild Animals

I did not witness this one but my wife used to be a big fan of Steve Erwin (Crocodile Hunter dude from Australia). She made me watch a bunch of episodes so we could “watch TV together” and I must have witnessed hundreds of incredibly STUPID and DANGEROUS stunts this fool did with animals he had less than zero knowledge of how to handle. I told my wife so many times, “Someday, probably soon, this fool is going to get killed by one of the animals he mishandles.”. I finally stopped watching his show…

Not too long after that they announced his death by getting stabbed in the heart with the barb on a Short Tailed Stingray (they are named that for a REASON) the largest stingray in the world. The "official version is that he was filming the ray up close and the ray “reared up” and stabbed him. I’ve been a SCUBA diver for over 40 years and grew up in a a small island, and I have handled many rays in my life. The ONLY way this could have happened is that this fool decided to catch a joy ride atop this wild ray not understanding that this is the trigger for the barb to get deployed. He died of IGNORANCE…

4 Likes

Also during my horse training days we were asked to come pick up a 2 year old colt that had just killed a 16 year old kid.

Apparently the owners had NO CLUE how to handle the horse and it got out of the corral, so they sent their 16 year old and two of his friends to catch the horse and bring it back. Well they caught the horse and they were attempting to pull him back to the corral with only a halter and lead line on him. I should mention this horse was unbroke and wasn’t even halter broke yet. This horse had no idea what was been asked of him and was terrified so he just dug in. The 16 year old had the brilliant idea of getting behind the horse and hitting him with a 2x4 on the rump to make him move forward.

Instead of moving the young horse gave him both barrels straight to the center of the chest which stopped his heart and killed him on the spot.

We picked up the horse because the owner was going to shoot it and the Sherriff asked us to take the horse over. It was probably one of the gentlest young horses I ever worked with and we managed to train him and place him in a good home.

7 Likes

Check out my sicko trivia question…

3 Likes

@mattm >>

4 Likes

Got your question in my email…in my young and dumb but crazy days. My bud and I saw the keg and swam out to it (we both lifeguarded, competed and trained lifeguards so were at home in the water). Saw a little ripple off the rope, I figured the keg was anchored and there was current. Ripple gets bigger, I question my bud, we wonder about pacific ocean currents. Keg suddenly goes about 7ish mph…my brain has several thoughts, but "tuna’ wins out, though we headed back to shore, we’re out far enough to see snow on the peaks inland, maybe 1/2 mile out. It was 10 years later, watching a Cousteau documentary that I found out about the whites cruising that beach. My wife looked at me and just knew…I had turned white and was gripping the arms of the chair. Truth hit hard. No, not a tuna :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:Years later, when I took my son to Frisco and spent some time on the coast, I got verification on the kegs from a guy whose wife had been in Berkeleys marine Biology department . Stupid human tricks, fortunately, felt natural and was smooth in the water.

3 Likes

@mattm > I did mostly ignorant things ( concerning water )

• pulling Vera big moray eel out the rocks.
  • fishing waist deep with a stringer of fish tied to me, a Vera big bull shark went by me about IDK 3 to 5 feet, that day my wife asked me how I walked on water.
  • went skin diving in the same place 2 Vera big Tiger sharks checked me
    out close enough to touch for the 2nd time. I guess it was their Territory. It was a strange feeling. They weren’t aggressive but I’ve had that feeling a few too many times in my life. It felt like having a bucket of boiling water dumped on me and the sensation went from my head all the way down to my toes. I latter found out that ( ( Florida ) has a pretty good amount of shark attacks but it kept quiet because of tourism. There’s a lot more that’s nuff.
    PS: our tax dollars at work. I also understand there was not a need for that bim, we thru the first stone and that was a Vera Vera bad Mistake that we are still paying for.oh well it’s time to drink with the Captain
    Jaws: The U.S.S. Indianapolis Speech - YouTube
3 Likes

Yeah, year before Cali I was a FL beach bum/lifeguard. Water’s clear in FL, saw a lot of sharks. Fortunately I wasn’t one to wear fishing lures, aka jewelry around my neck, like so many of the blue haired beach goers were. Gawd, lifeguarding down there (Miami) made herding cats a pedazo de torta. :rofl:

2 Likes

This is a normal condition. Problems start with “diver photographs a 20ft great white off of Juno Beach”

3 Likes

Those people who do that should be banned forever from adopting a dog or cat. I keep my cats until the sad end.

4 Likes

My dad told me of a night he was irrigating the farm at night . He had parked the truck on the dirt road to check the water and when he saw that it was enough , he walked down a border to shut it off . Well , he went down the ditch and shut all the gates and started back to the truck via another border . That’s when he heard the rattlesnake . He had heard 100s of them , but this one was " meaner". He headed off into the field to bypass him when he saw the rattlers head rise up out of the weeds , like a cobra , back lit by the full moon . That thing could hear my dad out in the water but couldn’t see him. It followed him cobra style back to the road where my dad out ran it to the truck and got in.
Always thought it was a story until I ran into a deputy sheriff who told me his story.
He was doing PR work for a few big shot politico types , giving them a tour of the area , when they came across a rattler crossing the road . They were scared of it , so he stopped to show them that rattlers prefer to run . Well , this one went cobra on him , rising up to about his buckle , and charged him . He got backed up into his truck with no place to go and had to draw and shoot it . Six shots but only one hit , but it was enough .
I thought my dad was pulling my leg , but now I don’t know .
On a side note , my dad hated snakes so much that he was the one who invented the hay bale automatic wire tier because when the three people rode on the baler to manual tie them , they had to jump ship every time they half baled a rattler .
Chris

3 Likes

Chris67, a good snake :snake: is a dead snake :snake::+1::+1:

3 Likes

@KURT17 >> As I understand it, the bacteria in a dogs mouth is similar to ours. Hmmm after a few too many drinks those Doggies turned in to Marilyn Monroe, do you remember who was licking who :question:

3 Likes

After my dad passed on and my mom was living alone, she started feeding squirrels. Eventually it got to the point where they started eating out of her hand. There got to be so many of them that she decided to identify them by marking their heads with white out! She was shocked when one bit her as she was marking it… :thinking:

7 Likes

Oooh yes squirrels will bite. Many moons ago my Dad was hunting small game with his brothers and a brother-in-law who was a city slicker and not too bright in the woods.
Well he shot a Gray Squirrel and when it dropped he fastened it to a loop system around his chest similar to what duck hunters use.
Well the squirrel came back to life and was very disagreeable to the loop around his neck, when he started to struggle the in-law tried to grab him and was bitten 3 times before he got a hold of the back legs and strangled the squirrel. :rofl:

4 Likes

I’ve trained a handful of horses & mules for the Sheriff’s SAR posse.
They can be excellent “partners” much like a K-9
They can also seriously mess you up much like a K-9

It’s a hell of a lot of fun to “start” a horse for posse work. I liked to start sacking out while weanlings and back them as 4 year olds but one of my best horses arrived as an unbroke 5 year old.
I haven’t had much luck getting them used to bears, but the NPS horses didn’t seem to mind them—I’ve seen mounted rangers chase a bear away from camp a few times. I’ve always wondered how they got their horses to do that.

4 Likes

An old joke:

One day a young brave came up to the tribe chief asking to marry his daughter. The chief asked if he was experienced under the blankets. The brave said me no experienced. The chief said down by the creek is tree with knot hole, go get some experience. A few days later the brave came back and told the chief; me have experience now and the chief said ok. So the chief blessed the marriage and they were married that day. Later that night the chief hears his daughter screaming for her life. The chief bursts into the teepee to see the young brave chasing his daughter with a tree branch. The angry chief grabs the branch from the brave and says: what you do to my daughter? The surprised brave says: me check’m for squirrels.

6 Likes

Yeee haaa. Blacky haw haw been there done that Bobby Jean :feather::chile:

Durning a ANTIFA protest one young lady thought it would be a good idea to slap a police horse on the hind. That horse kicked her into another time zone.

7 Likes

Good horsey…

4 Likes

A horse is a horse of course of course and no one can talk to a horse of course. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes