Staging your firearm

Me too because the 12g shotgun is located at the father’s house who is my ex domestic abuser. I do know that my ex would not take the life of a human unless he or his live in loved ones were in serious danger. I do believe that the shotgun is stored inside of the 18 year olds blazer which is locked up, I do believe it is in a gun case and probably out of the public’s view because i believe that the rest of the 18 yr olds belongings are still in the locked up blazer. The 18 (almost 19 now) and father are not on good terms. My ex has a lot of cameras on his property. At this time I have a no contact order with the father, so i worry about this all the time. Should i provide a bill of sale to my son now that he is of legal age now to possess it? Is this the legal route?

Unless you are in a state that requires documentation follow the gun and registration I would not worry about it. There is no federal requirement for proof of ownership.

The Blazer is not at all secure and honestly if your Ex was/is an abuser he’s one bad day from becoming homicidal or suicidal so I’d get it out of there and either secure it at your home, where you may well one day need it unfortunatey or another location he hasn’t got ready access to.

Since kids often become the target of rage for abusers cut off from their spouse due to court orders if he can secure it where only he can access it, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to leave it with him.
Maybe the grandparents could chip in for a high quality bio-metric quick access safe for him as long as he remains in the home?

You could look at something like this:

Or this:

https://www.zore.life/

There are 2 topics being discussed here, do you keep a round in the chamber and storage or accessible to your gun.
Keeping a round in the chamber is a personal choose. One place I worked required the weapon was carried with an unloaded chamber and a full magazine. Because of this we trained every officer, when they presented their weapon to rack the slide, ever time. Since I no longer work at that agency, I carry with one in the chamber and prefer that type of carry. Which ever you choose you need to train that way. No exceptions!
Storage or accessibility depends on many factors. Threat, laws, children and location.
We need to protect child from having access to a gun if they do not have discernment concerning firearms.
Depending on the state you live, laws of the state may dictate how you store your firearm. Whether you agree with them or not, you live there.
Location refers to where you are in your home. How large of a home you have. Do you have enough guns to stage one within arms length of you at all times. Do you have such a threat that you need one near you at all times? I believe that if you don’t have a gun within arms length, you unarmed. That being said, we all let down our guard when we are at home. We can not stay in Condition “ Yellow” 24/7. You need to access your situation and do what is appropriate for your own family needs.

My gun is right on nightstand ready to go with one in the chamber. I have a safe that unlocks with a key and just leave it in there unlocked with keys inside as I lay there. All the way until its time to get up and put it on

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but I saw a few responses akin to “I keep a round in the chamber on every firearm that I own.” I’m curious about this. I’m not an armorer or gunsmith, but I work with metals and I’m familiar with copper to iron electrolysis. This results in the crusty green buildup you sometimes see when a copper alloy (bronze or brass) meets an iron or steel. You’ve probably seen it on DIY plumbing projects when someone mixed steel and brass pipes in older houses, before everything became plastic. It not only looks bad, but it significantly degrades the integrity of both metals.

Is this a concern for firearms? I’ve never noticed it on mine, but I don’t store firearms with brass rounds in them, either. Besides safety issues, I’d be concerned that a brass casing left in the chamber could cause corrosion.

I’m not telling anyone what to do with their firearms, I’m just curious if anyone has ever seen this, or if it’s not a legitimate concern.

1 Like

The only fire arm in the house that has 1 in the chamber is my edc. I have two other guns staged in my nightstand that are in condition 3 (I had to google this because I forgot :joy:). Loaded mag is in the gun, but no round in the chamber. I just feel better this way. Number one reason for negligent/ accidental discharge is forgetting a round is chambered. I do always check anyways. I just like layers of safety. My wife knows this as well, and she knows how to chamber a round.

In a carry situation I believe in 1 in the chamber. Home defense, if I have time to get access to my gun, I have time to rack. (I know you could argue with this, but that’s how I roll.) If I only had one handgun, I would keep a round in the chamber at all times. To me I feel better about condition 3 for my stages guns.

1 Like

I am not the one that should answer your question, but my carry instructor told us it’s a good practice to move your ammo around. He recommended unloading the magazine and gun and loading it back up in a random order. He said their could be issues similar to what you said. That being said, I have had a gun with one in the chamber for over a year and I never experienced any issues.

I think it would take a really long time for issues to occur, but, again, I’m not the right person to give you an answer… yet I am :joy::joy:

1 Like

Allot of the carry ammo has a nickel plated brass casing.

True, my hollow points are all nickle. My rifle rounds all use brass casings, though.

I’ve asked this on another post, but how would you go about safely staging a rifle with children in the house, and a wife who doesn’t want a rifle mounted on our bedroom wall :joy:

Divorce and let her keep the kids. :joy:

The only meme I could get a picture of has a typo, but I feel it adds to the quality of my response.

1 Like

Best option is probably one of those expensive safes that will quickly open at night. Either secure the entire rifle or at least the ammo. If budget is no object, get one of those hidden safes that people can’t even see.

If you’re like the rest of us and have budget constraints, you might have to settle for mounting the rifle somewhere so that little hands can’t see it and / or can’t reach it, preferably either near you or in a safe space. For example, if your bedroom has a closet, maybe keep the rifle uncased on the top shelf where it can’t be seen, and secure the ammo somewhere else in the bedroom.

1 Like

I might do this. I don’t have any long guns. I plan to get one or two, but not enough to justify a giant safe. These lockable wall mounts tucked away in my closet may be a more affordable option.

1 Like
2 Likes