Small Details Matter in Your Car

I’m sure most of you know this. But on the subject of customizing different options: Newer vehicles have a number of different settings that can be accessed through the onboard computer. But a lot of the non-standard settings can only be accessed through an authorized dealer ($$$). Another option is to buy a programmer and customize many more options on your own (ex: https://www.zautomotive.com/). Beware, a dealership can tell when you’ve attached a 3rd party programmer and shady ones (most) may try to use it to void your warranty. While there’re legal reasons why they can’t just void a warranty some will push as hard as they can to make you think they can. Sorry for the long, oversimplified reply. Hope it helps someof you asking about changing the settings.

5 Likes

Love this guy’s humor…vreatvpic I’m lmao!!!

4 Likes

Years ago, my wife came home and told me she was stopped in traffic in downtown Chicago (alone in her car), when some young man walked up to the passenger door and tried the handle. Fortunately it was locked. He smiled at her and returned to the sidewalk. I asked her why she didn’t call the police. She said, “He didn’t do anything.” I pointed out that walking up to a stranger’s car and trying to open the door isn’t normal behavior. I said, “For all you know, he was ready to put a knife to your throat and order you to drive to a secluded spot, where you would be raped or worse.”

4 Likes

Also out a magnet on the underside of you dash and attach a gun there. I have more than once averted trouble by take the handy gun and sitting it on the dash for a troubled to see. I am careful to never point it at someone as to not be ,”Brandishing the weapon”.

2 Likes

My Ram truck does that as well at 15 mph. I have gotten into the habit of hitting the lock button on the drivers door with my left hand while I turn the key with my right. Its something you have to make a habit. I live in a rural area so its easy to think that it is unnecessary, but when I have to go into the city, I often get a wake up call as to how important it is.
Great point!

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @Kenneth131

Food for thought!

A few years ago, noted firearms expert Ben Findley wrote a very comprehensive article on the definitions of brandishing as they apply to some of the states. In that article, he gives a rough overview of the various definitions that exist out there as a means of educating concealed carriers to the facts about brandishing.

Brandishing can be called a lot of different things.

• “Improper Exhibition of a Weapon”
  • “Defensive Display”
  • “Unlawful Display”

But it all reduces down to one key concept: threatening . And while in your mind, at the time, you may think along the lines of “that’s not a threat – that’s a promise”, the prosecuting attorney will tend not to agree with you.

4 Likes

This also illustrates how we as a society have become reliant on technology. I see many comments on when individual cars auto-lock, but what did we do back when we had to be “self-reliant”? We got in and locked the door! How many other things do we depend on tech. for instead of paying attention to details and having situational awareness? We are our own first line of defense, so pay attention to the small things.

3 Likes

That’s right, and it’s everywhere. Instead of a pit bull laying at your feet you have a Ring Door Bell Camera, No more “Good Morning” from the security guard it’s facial recognition at the door. We have certainly become more and more dependent on the big ‘T’ word. :woozy_face:

2 Likes

There was a guy in our House of Representatives that said something like “brandishing doesn’t include when you reach for something on the top shelf of the groceries store and you shirt pulls up over your fire arm”…

3 Likes

And that’s the true.

4 Likes

A politician I can agree with!

2 Likes

A reminder that we can all do better.

2 Likes

Starting Sept 21, the governor of NH has signed an executive order that states that merely exposing a firearm does NOT constitute “brandishing”, “reckless conduct”, or “criminal threatening” without some form of follow up action, which I take to mean drawing and/or waving it around. So feel free to reach up to that top shelf.

3 Likes

@Shamrock I had no idea this was customizable. Both of my vehicles are 2011 and I just searched and realized I can customize those settings. Thanks for the tip! Both vehicles auto lock when I shift out of park and unlock when I shift back into park. I will change these settings to turn the Auto Unlock off.

4 Likes

I have a newer car and I set it up so all doors stay locked even when driver door opens when key fob is near. Still there was an incident that didn’t become an incident but could have. Door lock gave me some security but had I been carrying that day (SMH), I would have felt more secure and in looking back, should not have gotten into my car at all. It all worked out but I realized many mistakes I made. Apparently his truck was broken down…his phone wasn’t working…and I have a bridge I can sell you. But here I am happy to tell the tale and learn from my many beginner mistakes! Thanks everyone!

3 Likes

Like at the drive-up ATM :grimacing: :grimacing:

1 Like

Which I never use.

2 Likes

Someone could come along with a large briefcase and steal that whole car with the driver in it! HAHA

2 Likes

360 walk around inspection of car and all other vehicles within a 25 to 50 yard area, nonchalantly peek underneath after sunset. Check inside the vehicle with flashlight. Enter, lock, scan, turn on, scan, leave, then at first stop, belt up.
Never keep registration in car IMHO. Nothing that identifies me or place of residence inside vehicle. Trash can, water bottle and raincoat only visible items in car.
Recently car was burglarized, thankfully, nothing taken, not even the GPS. They tossed it under the car. Luckily, no one knows how to get in my car!

3 Likes

I actually pulled my weapon and laid it in my lap before I pulled up at a drive up ATM about 5 years ago. He was sitting on the curb right at dusk when I pulled up. My windows were down as it was a pleasant night and I was enjoying the weather. He was on my passenger side as I pulled up. It didn’t “feel” right though. When I stopped at the ATM he stood up and rapidly started my way saying “sir can I ask you something?”. I didn’t say anything I just leveled my weapon at him and acquired my target quickly. I was in that “Mode”. He came to an abrupt stop, threw both arms in the air and quickly ran off. I took off as well without using the ATM as I didn’t know where he went. I went to another ATM a few miles away.

3 Likes