Should you carry with one in the chamber?

The only advice I can give is: Carry how you feel comfortable.

Milliseconds count in any deadly situation, and with excess adrenaline and elevated levels of stress, you lose fine motor skills, leaving only gross motor skills. If you’re not going to carry with one chambered, get some snap caps if you don’t already have them, load a mag with them, and practice your holster draw and Racking during dry fire practice. You want to make sure that your cycling the firearm completely, so leave the snap cap in the chamber, reholster, and continue drawing and racking.

11 Likes

I find that most people are completely oblivious to their surroundings, therefore, no. The general public is especially unaware of what is going on when they leave stores, or other businesses.

13 Likes

I’m new to guns, but I’ve done a lot of research and dry fire training. I still have tons to work on, but one thing I feel is important when I’m able to carry (about 3 more months) is that having one in the chamber is important for 2 reasons, to have that extra round for a smaller gun, and also to avoid the relatively complex action of racking the slide when someone is running at me or I’m severely stressed. Because of my comfort level being new to guns, I chose a S&W Bodyguard 380 because I like the design of the safety on it and also the stronger trigger pull needed. I feel pretty confident that it’s not going to go off accidentally.

7 Likes

train and familiarize yourself with your weapon and carrying one in the chamber always! that’s one of the many things we were taught in CCW class when myself and wife took our conceal carry class together.

8 Likes

@Trmptr64 and @Kevin - I completely agree! Train and know your firearm like it’s an extension of your arm. If you carry a firearm with a safety, train to turn off that safety every time you draw.

Welcome to the Community! Glad to have you here!

9 Likes

The decision factor for me was timing how long it takes me to draw, rack and aim… and then timing how long it takes a friend’s 22 yr old son to cover 21’ across a parking lot towards me. :flushed:
yeah seriously, he’s not a sprinter, but apparently neither am I :roll_eyes: he’s waaaay closer than I’d want an attacker to be before I can draw, rack, and get on target.
one in the chamber started to make a whooooole lot more sense to me after that.

28 Likes

always carry with one in the chamber train your muscle for it head mind body!

11 Likes

have you taken a carry course or considered one.
i would this will train prepare you to carry with confidence
you will be more prepared and if need be yes pull if the time ever happens

respectfully

9 Likes

I carry with one in the chamber - guns make a terrible club…
Rule #1 - treat every gun as if it’s loaded
Don’t forget rule one and you’ll do just fine…

23 Likes

I may have missed it, but I’ve not seen the most basic rule posted; keep one’s finger off of the trigger. It’s the most reliable or unreliable safety made. That’s one of the downsides of dry firing, one gets used to pulling the trigger for “practice,” but it makes it easier for an accidental discharge to happen.

11 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @James7.

I don’t know that dryfire practice makes you any more likely to pull the trigger by accident than range practice does.

When doing dryfire practice, I always suggest people have a specific place in a room that doesn’t have any live ammo, in the same room every time.

Using a Sirt pistol might also be helpful to avoid the concern of a bad habit.

11 Likes

Hey @James7 , welcome to the group!
Yep, drilling in trigger discipline in dry fire is just as important as in live fire. I do the same on my SIRT… it’s still a gun, it’s still to be treated as if its loaded.

10 Likes

ALWAYS carry one in the chamber!!! An assailant can be on you faster than you can draw your weapon and chamber a round. In a stress situation you may fumble , then it would absolutely be too late. If you’re nervous about doing it, then practice until your weapon becomes part of you and your response is second nature. And oh,…BTW… ALWAYS CARRY ONE IN THE CHAMBER!!! This concept should be non-negotiable.

13 Likes

Very good to hear someone answer this question that I have been reading and studying
about. Many others have worried about a negligent discharge when handling and
drawing their firearm/pistol. That is one reason that the universal safety rules were written
and #3. is so important to use all. Practice and keeping that finger OFF the trigger is
a must at any time.

Good job ! Safety first.

William Smith

10 Likes

Here is a different twist on the topic. Please train until your confident, then carry, not before. I mean train, not practice. Practice is something you do to reinforce your training. Get the training first. Carrying with a round in the chamber becomes a non-issue when the confidence level increases.

13 Likes

I carry one in the chamber. You never know if you will have a free hand to rack the slide. You may have to try to fight off the attacker with your off hand… there are slot of circumstances you may not have time to rack the slide.

13 Likes

This brings up another training concept.
Racking the slide one handed. Can you? Does your EDC allow you to without needing a table or something else to help?
Here is another benefit of a full kydex holster or a sturdy belt. My belt will definitely allow me to do this.

8 Likes

Welcome @Jeremy! Yep, totally on board with that and your reasoning.

5 Likes

I do use a full Kydex holster, but then a again I carry with a round chambered.

5 Likes

Please train with your chamber full. Check your pistol often and safely making sure it is ready all the time.
With full respect that pistol is load 24/7, whether or not it has ammo. Please follow your 4 universal safety rules and I do care and this is a respectful request.

I do not back down when safety is a must to owning and carrying any firearm. Unless you
have trained with the Israel’s Military (EXPERTS), please carry a round in the chamber, because
your life may count on that one round. Speed and Accuracy is slowed down very much, due to
any stress in a class room or using it in the battle field.

Thank you,
William H smith Jr

8 Likes