Should I get a gun for self-defense?

It will also make you aware of just how many Constitutional rights have already been infringed.

6 Likes

:+1::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:
Hello and welcome @Coyote480

2 Likes

Should you get a firearm for self-defense?? There are many key factors you have to consider. Above All Else you must be honest with yourself when you ask these questions. Just because you buy a firearm and have it in your home does not mean youā€™re safer. You have to be willing to train and become proficient with that firearm and then you must have it available to you reasonably quickly to use if necessary.

I never think in terms of killing someone in self defense. The question I always ask myself is am I willing to use this firearm which is just a tool, to stop a threat to myself or my family? Yes it is possible even likely someone will die in a self-defense situation it is not necessarily a given. What must be a given is that you are willing to use that firearm to stop an imminent threat and be willing to accept the repercussions and responsibilities of doing so.

6 Likes

4 out of 5 bad guys say no, you do not need a gun! :rofl: :rofl: :pleading_face: :worried:

5 Likes

The ā€œbad guysā€ have been taking a serious hit of late. :+1:

4 Likes

One can be a good person, and willing to take a life. Not everyone willing to take a life is a good person, but not all are bad. If faced with the choice, one can know. The reason of why they know is the determining factor. Not everyone that steals is bad. Some people make the decision to steal food to feed their children because their job may not pay enough, but it may be all they can do within their means. Are they a bad person, or are they doing what they have to do to ensure the welfare of their family? Sure, they could have begged for money or food, but how does the world treat those people? Not well in my experience. I knew someone in that position once apon a time. Hands down, best person Iā€™ve ever had the pleasure to call a friend.

3 Likes

Actually, this is old data. Would love to see the 2023 map.

3 Likes

@Levi2 , I wrote that words almost 2 years ago and today my thinking is different.
I learned my lessons and I know Iā€™m a beast insideā€¦ but it is under control.
I consider myself as a good person but this habit can change into evil if needed.
When I train my dynamic shooting I donā€™t do it for fun. There is no mercy for the target. Itā€™s even completely done with holes or Iā€™m not happy with my training.

So these days I donā€™t have any moral hesitation if I should have firearm for self defense. The only decision is when to use it and how fast.

However the OP was about new shorters and suggestions to themā€¦ and these donā€™t change. Each person has to find the own answer. Proper training (physical and mental) and frequent practice will bring the good answers for sure. Hopefully everyone finds it - you need a firearm but you know how to live a safe, happy and long life without using it.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think you actually mean change to evil in those situations. When confronted with a violent attack a good, non-violent person has to be able to flip the switch and act violently in order to end the threat. Stopping a violent attack is a good thing!

For those unable or unwilling to learn when and how to flip the switch it might be best to not carry a firearm. They might just end up allowing their attacker to take their defensive tool and use it against themselves or someone else. I think there are a lot of people who just arenā€™t wired to be self defenders/sheep dogs. Though I have seen many instances of seemingly passive people instinctively flip the switch and go full on mama grizzly bear when their families are threatened.

4 Likes

Good person changes to Serious person.

6 Likes

Yeahā€¦ perhaps I used wrong word (evil)ā€¦ but you know what I meant. :metal:

4 Likes

I know it was a while ago. I was just catching up on threads that show upā€¦ itā€™s impossible to keep up with all of them all the time lol I didnā€™t mean to come across accusatorial, if thatā€™s how it seemed. All I meant was that itā€™s the reason you do something that makes a choice evil. The eyes of the law are indifferent I suppose, but sometimes it is more complicated than that IMO.

3 Likes

I know you didnā€™t mean to ā€œcome across accusatorialā€.
Even I was surprised, how I changed my thinking during those 2 years. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I still consider myself as not very experienced civilian shooter. Iā€™ve been carrying for less than 5 years and Iā€™m still learning, especially the mental part, which sometimes is treated as less important by armed citizens.

At the beginning my thinking was - ā€œowning the firearm means somebody is going to dieā€.
After some time I understood, or I should say, I had a great teachers / Instructors who showed it to me, that carrying the firearm would made me a different person. You carry or own the firearm for a reason, but the reason is not coming along with somebodyā€™s death. It took me a while to fully understand this.

Sometimes people ask me if Iā€™m still a good personā€¦ and I donā€™t have the answer anymoreā€¦ :zipper_mouth_face:
Yes - Iā€™m a good person for my community, friends, Iā€™m a good father, husband and son.
No - Iā€™m a bad personā€¦ if somebody messes with meā€¦ and actually I feel good with it. :smiling_imp:

Iā€™ve been thinking again about an answer for the original questions:
ā€œShould I get a gun for self-defense?ā€
ā€œWhat are the first things youā€™d suggest to anyone who is thinking about buying a gun for their self-defense?ā€

First answer would be - ā€œnot exactly, but if you feel it will help you to survive without getting into the troubles, go and buy oneā€
Second answer - ā€œthink about consequences of this decision, then if you find out you need a firearm, threat it the same way as you treat your Family. Itā€™s not a toy, itā€™s not a simple tool. Itā€™s something you need to learn, take care of it and you cannot let it overpower youā€.

So actually, my point is to be mentally prepared to own the firearm. Thatā€™s the part missed by many of ā€œgun ownersā€.

8 Likes

Absolutely. And they want to take even MORE of our rights away.

3 Likes

Thank you! I am VERY impressed with USCCA so far, and am recruiting new members as much as possible. We all need to stick together, and fight for our Constitutional Rights, and be ready to defend innocent lives from the evil that clearly exists in our everyday lives.

6 Likes

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Welcome aboard! We are glad you are here.

3 Likes

I carried one for 20 years in the military. Spent time in various units that deployed in some strange areas. If you are not willing to use a weapon and take the chance on or kill someone, then donā€™t. It will likely get you killed or simply taken from you by a criminal that will kill or hurt someone. Want that on your conscience? Just my 2 cents.
Unless you train and keep your skills up a weapon is useless.

5 Likes

For me, I donā€™t look at it as a question of whether or not Iā€™m willing to kill someone. I truly hope to God that I NEVER am responsible for someone elseā€™s death. If someone dies in the act of trying to harm or kill me or my family, thatā€™s on them. They chose murder and violence, and must expect the consequences.

A gun, properly used, can be a good self defense tool, and could end an attackerā€™s life, but it also might not. Your fists could do the same, shoving an attacker back so he falls and hits his head could do the same. Household objects like a kitchen knife or screwdriver could save your life, and end the life of an attacker. Any time you fight back to save your own life, it could result in the death of the person trying to take yours. Itā€™s the nature of violence, and its a tragedy that so many people are willing to cause harm to innocent others.

The real question then is, ā€œare you willing to fight as hard as you can to save your own life or the lives of your family?ā€ If the answer is yes, then choose the best tools and training to enable that fight, should it come to you, in spite of your best attempts to avoid violence everywhere.

6 Likes

whatever tool you use to defend yourself, training would be tremendously beneficialā€¦ no matter if a firearm, non lethal, or use of hands, IE self defense, martial arts, whatever.

8 Likes