Scheduled Maintenance?

I have got to get an oil change on my car today! And I’ll have my sons do the latest required vehicle check-up when their home this weekend.

We are religious about preventative maintenance on our vehicles - are you as religious about your preventative maintenance on your firearms?

What maintenance schedule do you stick to (not just cleaning)?

Absolutely not. If it won’t run dirty I won’t own it. As many guns as I own if I cleaned them religiously I’d never have time to do anything else.

After a heavy workout at the range I may blow it out with some sort of carburetor, break cleaner, or on rare occasions something specifically formulated for firearms like gun scrubber, shake it down, wipe it off, and put a few drops of oil on the heavy wear areas then I slap it back together wipe off the excess and move on.

If I notice any problems with functionality I will then get serious about a “proper cleaning”.

I’m more strict on my pistols than rifles. But all batteries get swapped after 90 days not matter what. Pistol gets checked weekly cleaned and oiled with battery swaps, Rifles inspected before use and before trips.

[quote=“Dawn, post:1, topic:2363”]

EDC TLC: Carry Gun Maintenance | Concealed Carry Magazine

Gun cleaning and maintenance advice from USCCA firearm experts. Learn simple tips to clean your firearm faster and easier.
[/quote]Just an FYI, the link at the bottom of the article for the 7 firearm drills returns a 404 error.

Thanks! We’ll get that fixed!

Mine get a wipe down, a bore snake, and four drops of oil (one on each slide corner) after each use. They rarely if every come completely apart. The SR22 is the only one that seems sensitive to cleaning.

1 Like