Safety in Schools: Training Teachers to Use Firearms

This school year will undoubtedly be different than past school years.

There will be additional safety measures across the country to help keep our children safe.

Should those safety precautions include training teachers to use firearms?

Do you support training teachers to use firearms?

• Yes, all teachers
  • Yes, only teachers who would like to be trained
  • No
  • Other Please elaborate below

0 voters

1 Like

Israel has done it for years. When our children are under attack (and make no mistake, they are under attack) you do what is necessary to protect them. Anti-gun groups like Commie Mommies would rather our children be dead than protected by lawful ccw citizens.

5 Likes

Yes. Let those who would be to scared leave it to the Protectors.

4 Likes

I voted for only the ones who want to be trained because they would make the effort to learn and keep up their training.

3 Likes

You can hire the best security personnel in the world but they can’t be at every classroom to protect students and the teachers everyday without forking over millions per year per school. The only person who is in that classroom with those kids and is the last line of defense if someone come looking to harm them is that teacher. I would prefer they have the tools necessary to protect my child rather than not.

4 Likes

As a public school teacher, I support training teachers who want to be armed. I have a couple of concerns, the first is that the training needs to be both available and affordable.

The second is that the districts can not be the final arbiter. In states where the district “may allow,” such as Kansas, there are very few, if any armed teachers. Other states take the position that the districts “may not forbid,” such as Utah. In these states there are more trained and armed teachers in the classrooms.

4 Likes

I completely understand your points. Part of me feels like the district or schools need to provide training for those teachers who are willing to take on the responsibility and part of me feels like they shouldn’t be part of your choice to carry and it should be your choice whether to alert them or not (for those more hostile anti-gun states).

Honestly, I feel like some instructor could apply for a government grant to offset some or all of the cost for teachers training and that might be something to look into because teachers don’t make enough to pay for what I had to pay to get mine.

2 Likes

I will state first that from a principled and belief standpoint I firmly believe in arming certain individuals on campus.

From a realistic standpoint there are some major obstacles schools face when making this decision. It all starts with funding. It’s no secret the overwhelming majority of schools are vastly underfunded. The type of training required to undertake arming staff would be very expensive, but nothing compared to the cost to insure those who were armed. Assuming districts could afford to train and insure these individuals, would they sustain funding for continued training? The answer isn’t so simple. As elected officials and district leaders change so do the politics hence the funding provided and support of said programs. Most “non gun” people have no idea how much training is truly required to be proficient, we see this with law enforcement frequently. It’s not the law enforcement agencies who choose to train less… The issue of continued training is problematic. There have been some good ideas posed about starting these programs. Full background checks, physical and mental evaluations, and serious qualifications. That’s a great start but I worry that it would continue to be supported. I worry personally they would just leave it at that and the burden to train falls financially on the individual, which is costly and in some cases not a realistic option. Many would have to travel a good distance to find relevant training. Would they be given paid leave for this, reimbursed for travel and expenses?

Again, I am not against arming staff, far from it. I have actually sat in on meetings discussing this very topic and the issues I’ve stated are genuine. If the districts could provide what’s needed to support these individuals and continue that support fully I believe it could be a successful and beneficial program. I would Support it fully.

2 Likes

No disagreement there, but since the entire basis of Gun Controls advocates emotional manipulation is " it’s for the kids". Should be no problem.

4 Likes

A few years ago, a group of us firearms instructors presented to our school board the exact idea. No charge. The look on their faces was as if we kicked their trike in the ditch. They asked us to leave.

There are school districts in Idaho that allow…OHHH also in UTAH YES!!! Utah state law allows.

Some schools in WY.

3 Likes

He do I change my vote. I wanted to hit teachers that want to be trained not all teachers. I want to have accurate testing results.

1 Like

Yes I support teachers with firearms in schools. Many teachers are veterans thus they know how to use firearms. All we have to do is adapt their experience to current situations. Kids should be trained in school on fire arm safety.

2 Likes

The vetting process should be as strong as Secret Service, no less! Training no less than BUD/S. Former military and law enforcement teachers. Well trained and disciplined!
Just training in the use of firearms is not enough! How to manage a crowd of panicked children during a mass shooting event will not be as easy as getting them to understand 1 + 1.

2 Likes

There are many school districts fighting having police on their campus or guns in the schools. I would suggest ALL parents that have kids in school read the Secret Service Analysis of Targeted School Violence report. Then go to the schools and try to get them to read the report. Maybe the school board can’t read.

Anyway, It talks about things they discovered such as many of the school tragedies could have been prevented. Most of the attacks were stopped by means other than law enforcement intervention. In other words, waiting for the police to show up doesn’t seem like a good option. Great information in the report.

These school districts need to understand that having firearms in school or law enforcements in school will be better than kicking all of them out.

Attached is the report, I could not load the original file because it was too big, so I had to convert to Word and then a PDF format. Hopefully, I didn’t mess it up too much. You can search for the original on the internet and download.

Secret Service Targeted School Violence Report - in PDF.pdf (1.5 MB)

2 Likes

I did 1st and 2nd Grade with the good Sisters at St. John’s Parochial School

4 Likes

OMG, my mother made me go to parochial school, 8 years, then to a catholic high school, and then to a jesuit u, I have been to church more times in my lifetime??? Nuns rule!!! Paddled the kids!!!

2 Likes