Rock Island Revolver

I’m toying around with a few gun ideas. Not something I’m going to do anytime soon, but I am interested in some of these snub revolvers. I’ve decided if I were to pocket carry, I’d want a revolver (I also think they’re cool). That being said, most of them run over $500. I found some good things about these Rock Island Armory revolvers. They are supposed to have a life time warranty, and everything I read/ watch says they are fully functional. Just curious on thoughts.

I have no experience with their revolvers but I have never had a bad experience with either of the 1911s I have from them

2 Likes

From what I have seen and heard, they are decent, and copies of Colts.

Also, do not forget to look at Charter. They make very good well priced revolvers. Heck, even Taurus revolvers can be quite good.

1 Like

Never shot one - just held one in the store, and it seemed pretty solid. Hickok45 gave good reviews of the 4in model. I too have considered them, but I’ve been in love with Taurus revolvers for the past few years and have 5 now. For not much more money, you can get a Taurus 856, which I feel is a better bet. While I normally carry the 617, which is a 7 shot snubnose, I also have a hammerless 856 which gets lots of carry time and would be a great pocket pistol.

1 Like

I forgot to mention one piece of advice. I highly recommend the ClipDraw universal revolver clip for any snubnose(get mine on Amazon). I have one on all of mine small guns. With this clip attached, you basically remove the need for any kind of holster, though it doesn’t impede the use of a holster when needed. With the clip, you can carry the gun most anywhere - inside the waistband, inside the belt, or in the front or back pocket. In the pocket, the gun is not completely concealed, as the handle is exposed. But an untucked shirt will cover it, with the benefit of a higher, more comfortable ride and easier retrieval than a pocket holster. Though I normally carry crossdraw openly, I have found that front pocket carry with the ClipDraw is a more comfortable substitute for IWB appendix carry, and back pocket carry with the clip, for me, is preferable to 4 o’clock carry.

1 Like

Are you familiar with revolvers? I don’t want to infer negative comments about the company (or particularly Armscor where they are imported from) since I want them to succeed when quality is good for the price. I’ve been told by a family member how Armscor brought 1911 repairers together in one place for their 1911’s (interesting history about why and how they make good 1911’s but that’s a long post). However, I’ve seen a few negative comments about their revolvers on forums and YT vids related to lockup and timing. I’m also not sure that old Colt grips fit without modification.

I would make sure to check the lockup and timing (particularly on slow trigger pulls), make sure the barrel/shroud is straight, and check to see if the hammer bites you with a high hold. For the record, I also recommend doing this on any brand revolver, including S&W’s and Rugers.

If you are looking for snubs for less $$, you might check out S&W and Ruger used snub noses. If you check the things I mentioned earler, you should be OK and have a decent CS experience (generally) if you do need to send it in for repair.

1 Like

I do not have any experience with revolvers at all. However I own RIA 1911 and I can tell is a great shooter. The beauty of it is a price. I own “made in Philippines” Colt pistol which, has nothing worse comparing to other 1911 made in USA, but much better price :smirk:

I’ve been checking Rock Island products from time to time, watching or reading reviews and never found any negative opinions about their product functionality.
Yes, there is of course reason why RIA firearms are less expensive -> tool marks and sharp edges, but these are not making them worse than others.
If you look for a price - Rock Island is a good choice. If you don’t care about the money, definitely you can go with other manufacturers.

Looks @Scotty has a better knowledge about revolvers, so I would follow his advice.

1 Like

I’m not very familiar with revolvers. I would like to own one mainly to just to play with. I have a rough rider .22 revolver. I also see it as a good carry option if I’m going on a short trip, or pocket carry would be a better option. I’ve done research on small pocket pistols and they seem to have the ability to be finicky. Even if a revolver fails to fire a round it will cycle to the next round.

The recommendation for a revolver has been S&W. I’m a fan of S&W. I own three striker fire guns. But, again this would be an occasional carry pistol. It still would need to be reliable if I’m going to carry it at all. I may start watching used S&W and Rugars.

I am interested in their budget 1911s. I think it would be a fun range gun, and an affordable way to get a cool gun.

Yes. It’s nice to have 1911 in guns collection without breaking the bank. :+1:

1 Like

For less than $300, would most likely be a good ‘first’ revolver.

1 Like

Some of those Taurus revolvers look nice for the price. I’m reading lots of good things about them too. My father’s carry gun is a Taurus pt111, so I’m not afraid of the brand.

1 Like

I have an RIA Mod.206 38spcl. it comes with wood and molded plastic grips which I like.
The trigger is actually pretty good SA is crisp and DA is smooth, I can shoot a 5" group at 25 yds in SA. it will shoot about point of aim at 75 yds. and a little to the right. Its a good solid pistol.
Now the con. The firing pin hits high on the primer and several times I had a fail to fire, I fired about 125 rnds. and had this happen about 6 or 7 times, not good odds. I keep it as a couch gun.
I e-mailed RIA about this and never received a response. I have been using revolvers all my life and used to hunt Whitetail with a Ruger GP 100 and a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 LC.

1 Like

I have a 605, a 605 Poly, an 856, a 617, and a 627. Have had zero problems and love the weight and balance. Also, for me, have great double-action triggers.

1 Like

I don’t like that failure rate…

Nope me either, I even tried four different brands of ammo. I am going to contact RIA again by phone and see if I get an answer. other wise I do like it for $260.00.

1 Like

I just saw they’re releasing a 9mm.

And a .357, but they are actually German imports, not made inhouse, and I think a bit thick and heavy for pocket carry.

1 Like

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/taurus-856-ultralite-38-special-revolver#repChildCatid=5258712

Any experience with one of these?

Personally have a Model 206 .38 Special snubby. Don’t carry it very often because the trigger is just a bit too heavy of a pull for me. But other than that, it’s a good little gun. I enjoy taking it to the range to plink with and should I have to use it in a SHTF occasion, it would probably do the job pretty effectively.

2 Likes