Revolver Options: Colt King Cobra or S&W Model 19

The right revolver is a very personal choice. I’d say you need to hold and shoot both. I’ve never owned a Colt, but I’ve owned Smiths and Rugers. Surprisingly, the revolver I really fell in love with was a Taurus several years ago. Since then, I’ve purchased 5 more Taurus revolvers in various sizes and capacities, and sold my Smiths and Rugers. The Taurus guns, for me, just have the perfect balance and trigger pull. They may not be heirloom guns like the others but I’ve had zero quality issues. I think Rugers are the best constructed revolvers on the market but hey were always unbalanced for me, and with stiff trigger pulls. My point is, you need the gun that feels like an extension of YOUR arm, and it might be a totally different firearm that what any of us recommend

5 Likes

True, and not sure about balance… but trigger pull can be fine tuned.

1 Like

Agreed with the trigger pull, but I shouldn’t have to pay to make a trigger work right on a $700 gun.

1 Like

You would think not, but they are still manufactured and each individual is different. What one may think is a good trigger pull, another may find rough, to hard, creepy or raspy.

Even expensive firearms may need to be tuned to you.

1 Like

The only revolver I have never had a trigger issue with is the Korth Mongoose. :grinning: But then I only shot it a little and had to give it back to my friend. :frowning:

1 Like

Taurus seems to make more or less a clone to the smith revolvers. A lot more smith like than Colt. I have had two or three and they are pretty good weapons. If I had one problem with them it is service response is rather slow.

1 Like

I have not needed any service, so I cannot comment on that. I did just add a 692 to my collection, and it has already become one of my favorites.

1 Like

Yes…one of each

1 Like

I own S&W in every frame size but “X”.
I bought a Cobra when they came out (.38 spl.) mostly because I regretted selling a Trooper in the eighties.
The Colt has a really light trigger compared to a Smith but I just can’t seem to warm up to it. Long, smooth but not crisp like a Smith.
If you’re not a revolver guy and don’t have an idea of what it should feel like you’ll get used to whatever you get.
Also have make sure you fully release that Colt trigger or it will hang up. Really easy to short stroke.
YMMV

1 Like