Regular Holster Maintenance - A Must

Just a reminder to everyone to regularly check your holsters for loose screws. I just checked several of my holsters and noticed two of them had loose hex nuts. Since you shouldn’t crank these down you will need to check these occasionally. Not sure if I should use loctite or not on a holster (yes that is a question for the community).
I check all fasteners on my weapons and accessories after each range trip, I just need to take that habit to my holsters. I actually set a reminder in my calendar to check my holsters every two weeks.

7 Likes

Excellent reminder! I put a tiny drop of blue loctite on the threads of any screw of holsters, sights, anything I want to stay put.

4 Likes

Yesterday in the evening I checked some of my holsters, they are all Kydex holsters and I checked them and inspected them, all AOK. Its a good idea because there an important piece of equipment. Loose screws can cause your firearm to be loose and your retention may be loose.

4 Likes

I blue loctite everything, with the exception of retention screws. I’m a little hesitant on that one

3 Likes

Screws? On holsters? Not mine…

:grinning: :grinning:

Good idea to check them if you have them. I have adjustment screws on mag holders, check them pretty often.

3 Likes

@ScottH All I have is Red. Not even sure of the composition, I received a small vial with my red dot kit and have some left over. Do I need to buy some Blue?
Thanks…

3 Likes

Like others said - blue Thread Locker on every holster’s screw :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Red is the serious stuff, I would go with the blue.

5 Likes

@TexasEskimo Red is for more permanent applications that you will never need to unscrew. Blue is to keep the screw from loosening, but can be removed with stronger force.

6 Likes

Thanks everyone. :+1: Loctite Blue 242 arrives tomorrow via Amazon Prime.

8 Likes

Also inspect for damage.
Every 6 or 8 months the kydex on my holster cracks making for really lose firearm retention.

I send it off to Crossbreed for a new one under thier lifetime warranty.
2 is 1, 1 is none… I rotate the other new in reserve holster I have into service while the broken one is being replaced.

I basically get a new holster twice a year for free.

6 Likes

Last week or week before, I lost some screws. Had to order. YES DEF Loctite! My mrs laughed at me and said I had a screw loose!!! LOL

6 Likes

I loctite my screws, honestly I used the red that came with my XS big dots. I check the ones o wear probably every few weeks. I also have way to many holsters lol

2 Likes

OMG… I haven’t had idea there are more than RED and BLUE… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :grimacing: :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Unbelievably loctite won’t work, after enough years they still come loose. I just crazy glue them if I haven’t changed the position in 3+ years I don’t expect to anytime real soon. (and there’s always the drill)

2 Likes

Good to know!

3 Likes

The threads need to be very clean for Loctite to hold. Then it should hold, I’ve never had a problem with the stuff.

2 Likes

This is a principle worth trying to live by.

2 Likes