Red Dot on a Pistol - Added Legal Risk?

Hi,

I am considering taking my Glock 43x to an armorer to enable it for a red dot optic (slide has to be machined to accept a red dot).

Would adding a red dot to my my 43x put me at any extra risk in a legal defense?

I read everything I could find on the forums and have not found a clear answer on this.

Thank you

2 Likes

I don’t see how, but am in for information.

Nah, it does nothing to effect the functionality of your gun. If anything, it makes it safer as you could argue that it helps you hit what you’re aiming at.

5 Likes

Okay awesome that’s good to hear, I also wanted to add an improved trigger but apparently that would hurt my defense in court but at least I can do a red dot
apparently.

1 Like

Red dot makes YOU safer. No questions asked after self-defense .
Trigger on the other hand… will bring more questions, add more time, but eventually your attorney will get it done.

1 Like

Snark retracted.

Yes there are attorneys on this forum if you didn’t know. Plenty of people get legal advice here.

I don’t see why it would be. I have been told that adding aftermarket triggers & any modifications to stock triggers would be used by prosecutors to paint you as some GUN Nut who was ready to shoot someone :triumph:
You should be fine. There are manufacturers selling their firearms with Red Dots nowadays. :v:t5:

2 Likes

I would agree that you are making these improvements to your firearm to INCREASE your safety and improve your accuracy.

Will it be used against you? Possibly. No matter what you do to a firearm, you should be able to articulate why you made those alterations and be prepared to defend them in court in the worst case scenario.

5 Likes

It’s such a dumb word we’re living in these days. I could see trigger questions, But how does an optic make a pistol “shootier” ? People will sue/find fault for anything. Kinda like the morons trying to hold firearms manufacturers responsible for someone killing people with their guns. Or maybe they will start letting people sue Chevy or Ford when someone hits someone with their vehicles. Sue McDonald’s for obesity! The President made me drink fish tank cleaner! Someone called me sweetie! Ughhhhh!!! Better get ready to explain why we used that particular brand of gun lube!:face_vomiting::rage:

4 Likes

If i had to defend myself and the topic came up, this would be my defense:

Having a red dot optic on my carry firearm allows me to return to first focal plane shooting and better allows me to keep both eyes open. What this means is simply, I’m better able to see my target and have my full peripheral vision rather than focusing on a front sight and having to close one eye. (I have a wicked astigmatism in case you’re wondering why i can’t shoot both eyes open with irons.)

3 Likes