Rapid Fire: Training Tips From Shooting Champion Jerry Miculek | USCCA

Jerry Miculek, one of the greatest speed and competition shooters of all time, joins Kevin Michalowski, executive editor of Concealed Carry Magazine, for this livestream event. In September 1999, Miculek attempted to outshoot and break the legendary Ed McGivern’s speed shooting record set in 1932. Using a Smith & Wesson revolver, he not only broke McGivern’s record but also shattered two world records. Miculek holds dozens of world records and has won more than 100 national and world titles. He is regarded as the greatest professional shooter of all time.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/rapid-fire-training-tips-jerry-miculek/

When will we be seeing new episodes of Shootout Lane?

Amazing how just plain ‘Matter Of Fact’ honest Jerry’s outlook was. His final advice on practice over fancy gear is as simple as it gets. Will be getting more serious about spending time at the range.

I have great respect for competitive shooters, as I don’t have that ‘gene’ and think Jerry is an amazing shooter all around. I am a defensive guy, so as with any bit of information, I would not agree with everything mentioned, only because there are people who would hear some information and go out and purchase a specific caliber just because a pro recommended it, then they get into a defensive situation and get hurt because they have no control with said caliber. There are many aspects to defensive shooting that overlap, which is great, the consistent message from both sides is TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN and then TRAIN MORE!

Each person is different and have different limitations, disabilities/abilities, etc. so it would be difficult to give one answer that would fit everyone (other than to keep training), but it is vital to pursue as much education as you can from qualified individuals (who can show you proof of said-qualifications) who are successful in what they do (not all instructors are good instructors). Lots of good information, as I said, and there is a difference between defensive shooting and competition shooting, so please do your due diligence and pursue the training you need that will show you the results you desire in order to ensure you have a fighting chance in a defensive situation.

It is my studied conviction that, once one is proficient in safely and consistent competent in handling their EDC weapon, and doing do with above average accuracy, there is great wisdom in seeking out and regularly/consistently/frequently training with a competent (preferably certified) instructor who has his/her own training and experience in scenario experiences. They need not be prior law enforcement, though that is preferred in my opinion.

Speed is always secondary to safety and proper procedure. However, real life defensive or protective use of one’s weapon does not include any “time-outs”. Cardboard or paper targets are sufficient, when drills include such skills as up-close-and-personal practice (1 shot at 3-5’ distance and the next two shots taken while stepping back), target discrimination drills, timed presentation of one’s weapon followed by a double tap, and reloading drills. At a point when one’s instructor believes it to be appropriate, using a shot timer and or video taping one’s practice could be helpful.

Having had my life threatened many times by people whom Superior Court in my State has ordered me to evaluate, leisurely making holes in paper is not sufficient to confidently prepare you for a real deal confrontation. Though I have no law enforcement history, I have found sufficient reason to “be prepared” having evaluated nice people on their worst behavior, as well a bad guys on their best behavior.

As an adolescent, my father was murdered a busy street, in a large Midwestern city. This shifted my perspective on the fundamental safety of my environment. I have come to see that a pessimist is likely an optimist with experience.

Having lawfully carried concealed for well over a decade, I have come to believe that effective self-defense is a perishable skill. As Kevin says, “You don’t train ‘till you get it right, you train ‘till you can’t get it wrong.” There is no substitute for realistic scenario training. I am grateful to Kevin, Ed, Mike, Tim, Beth and others at USCCA for the consistent balance of safety an proficiency in their quality presentations.

Jim-VP9

We won’t agree wholeheartedly for many reasons: training experiences, personal experiences and teaching experiences but will agree on some. Law Enforcement doesn’t automatically mean proficient high stress abilities and I have retrained many who would have perished in a fire fight. Practice is vital, certain misconceptions (especially Hollywood-driven concepts) will/can give false hope to the average person who thinks it’s the end all be all for instruction.

Every person had limitations and after teaching for many decades and over 100k people (to include feds, LEOs, military, etc.) and efficiency of one shooter doesn’t always equate to ‘combat-ready’ proficiency. Practice, seeking greater education from qualified trainers is vital to improve ability and proficiency plus increase ones confidence in high stress shooting.

R/
Mark