Question on RV carry

I do not have a CCW license, but wondered if taking my weapon with me in an RV is considered an extension of my home, and therefore acceptable for self defense.

3 Likes

That would be for your local laws… Generally, an RV trailer is considered an extension of your home, however, a motor home may not be.

OK, @MikeBKY, here’s another one for ya!

5 Likes

Thanks for your response. I live in FL, and am referring to an Airstream trailer. Hope this helps to clarify.

4 Likes

^^^ What @Danny28 said. Be sure to check the states you’re traveling to/through as well. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good advice!

4 Likes

Welcome to the family and you are in the right place at the right time.

3 Likes

There was a Supreme Court ruling some time back… an officer had searched a motor home and the defendants lawyers argued that the motor home was an extension of the home, so the officer needed a search warrant… the court said that since it was able to be driven off before a warrant could be secured that a warrant wasn’t necessary.

Since a trailer doesn’t have a motor I don’t think that ruling applies.

Here’s a site that might help…

5 Likes

Thanks Danny. I’m mostly concerned with SC, so I’ll check out their laws for keeping a weapon in a trailer while stopped at a campground.

3 Likes

In California v. Carney, 471 US 386 (1985) the US Supreme Court decided that the vehicle exception allowed a warrantless search of an RV when it is being used on the roads or is capable of that use and found stationary in a place not regularly used for residential purposes. So an RV can be a house or a car depending on where it is and how it is being used. While traveling, it is definitely a car.

9 Likes

Nice to have you around to clarify these things…

5 Likes

Thanks I was waiting to hear your words of wisdom on this @MikeBKY

5 Likes

Thanks Y’All! You’re making me blush! :blush:

7 Likes

@Stephen148.
Welcome To The Community
cobra
Train Hard and Stay Safe

4 Likes

Welcome to the family! @Stephen148 glad you’re here. Great question, I hope you got the answers you need!

4 Likes

To add … Jacked up and leveled, on-site, with hook-ups established. That’s what was conveyed to me.

5 Likes

I would recommend you get your CCW. The information gained in a good class (like USCCA) is invaluable should you ever need to defend yourself.

4 Likes

I have taken my CCW class, along with several other classes from a USCCA instructor, and will be pursuing my license.

4 Likes

Okay, you do not want to try to carry a RV, they are way too heavy! Sorry! An RV is a licensed vehicle and will have to adhere to vehicle requirements on carrying in a vehicle.

4 Likes