Protecting your pet

Thanks for your input @MikeBKY and I’m leaning the same way you are brother. Its a tough call but I love my dog and he’s a humble, loving dog who wouldn’t hurt a fly.

7 Likes

I’m with you @Johnnyq60! I am animal friendly but I have seen too many people seriously hurt when dogs got in to a fray. If a dog is running at my dog, it is also running at me. I’ll deal with the neighbors’ animosity. We also have leash laws for a reason, you control your pet, i won’t have to put it down.

20 Likes

My neighbors Pyrenees attacked me from MY yard…while I was driving my truck :roll_eyes:. Not the brightest pooch, but my message to the owner was quite clear.

5 Likes

How much clear? :grimacing:
Have you shot dog? Owner? Both? :astonished:

:wink:

6 Likes

No shots fired. My guns are for recreational purposes only.
Let’s just say, if I’m home and the neighbor is walking that stupid dog,they run past my property on the other side of the street, and if we see each other out walking, he and the dog turn around. Guy runs, I run, we get along okay otherwise.
A few years back I was clearing brush and the dog came over, no issue, just curious. Other owner, the drunk stoned brother comes over, asks if I was scared…I’m a 6’2’ 220, broken nose crosseyed monobrowed lunatic with a hatchet in one hand, Bowie in the other, and a 1911 on my hip…uh, no :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

It’s as simple as that :man_shrugging:t4:

12 Likes

I’ve had a couple incidents while walking my dog(Huck, 65lb Staffy Foxhound) on our daily around the block. The first one they just tested each other (it was a female, close breed, playing hard to get.)The second scared the crap out of me, 75lb Pit/Bulldog that charged THROUGH the guys gate and tried to chew up Huck, to my surprise Huck automatically latched onto his neck! He usually is a sweety, loves everyone, but when it comes down to it mess with the bull and you’ll get the horns!
Maybe I need to get my dog a CCW😉
If my life isn’t in immediate danger, living in “dog” country, a jury would most likely find a person guilty of shooting the dog.

5 Likes

@Johnnyq60 The best answer against an aggressive dog(s) is Pepper Spray.

With a firearm, just hitting a small fast moving target charging at you is going to be very difficult. We own every round and those misses and ricochets are our responsibility. And if you manage to hit the dog, you are then going to have to deal with a very sad or angry neighbor, the police, the legal system, and potentially public outcry.

Pepper spray, one that shoots a nice “cone” and not a stream is going to be easier to make sure you hit the dog. Pepper spray is extremely effective on dogs, there’s a bunch of videos on youtube showing joggers, postal workers, police, etc spraying dogs and the results are pretty much instant.

Lots of benefits to this over shooting at the dog. That dog will forever associate you with that spray. You don’t have to live with having killed a dog. Your neighbor won’t be as angry and they definitely won’t be sad. Police and legal consequences are almost non-existent.

When I walk my dogs, I carry a fanny pack very manly waist pack. In it I keep a small knife, handi-wipes, spare roll of poop bags, booboo kit (think bandaids and such), and treats for my dogs for training. In the event of encountering aggressive dogs (or even unfriendly humans) pepper spray is in an easy access spot. In the event I encounter friendly unaccompanied dogs off-leash, I keep a slip-leash and some really “high value” treats (think smelly bacon flavor or similar) in pouches.

11 Likes

I can personally attest to the effectiveness of OC spray on dogs. Both four legged and two legged.

I would dispatch an attacking dog if forced to. However as a dog lover myself, I would prefer to attempt to use OC first. A nice burst of Pepper Gel to the eyes and snout would do the trick if given the time and opportunity.

Stay safe out there.

8 Likes

ar ar…reminded me of the few times I’ve screamed,. where I tell people, at least it was a manly scream :sunglasses:

7 Likes

You probably could shoot them, however, carry some pepper spray with you knowing these dogs… Do you really want to shoot a neighbors dog? I doubt it… Just saying… When I walk I carry and carry pepper spray for these incidents…( never had to use either) I would rather use the pepper spray than the gun if possible… Bottom line is you can shoot a dog off of their property when attacking…

8 Likes

@Donnie3 welcome to the family and god bless you. I agree with having the pepper spray.

7 Likes

A deep voice helps but these days you can’t be sure that “deep” is “manly”.

5 Likes

1 Like

I would not shoot the other dogs to protect my dog. I would shoot it to protect my family or myself. However be very careful. We have a case where a cop fired his gun at a dog he claimed was about to attack. He shot a homeless person. DFW area.

2 Likes

We had one here not too long ago, the police call was a missing child. The police were searching the neighborhood when one of the cops jumped a fence into the neighbors yard a large dog appeared to be aggressively coming at the cop, he shot and killed the dog. The courts ruled it was legal even though the cop was uninvited in the yard, the kid was more important than the dog. Full disclosure, the kid was hiding in his own home and had never been in the neighbor yard.

2 Likes

I would agree with that. My wife was walking our dogs one day and the neighbors dog got out and was trying to attack our dogs. She was across the street from the dogs property when it happened. So she first tried to kick it but when that didn’t work she pulled out her pepper spray and sprayed the dog in the face. This caused the dog to run away. The owner threatened to call the police on her and my wife was like go ahead and we’ll see who gets into more trouble you with an unleashed dog or me. Needless to say she didn’t and was worried that my wife would call the police. My wife didn’t and we never had any problems with her or the dog again.

9 Likes

The main problem is the owner perceived a danger to the dog & NOT Himself!!! Protecting yourself is not a crime whether or not your dog is in the situation with you. (But in stupid states like California it’s illegal to carry outside the home without a permit)

SECONDLY, When I walk a pet or even by myself I carry an air pistol ~ Umarex T4E TR50 Revolver. Of which I’ve had it modified to fire at 650 FPS. And, have found steel ammo to fire. So I don’t worry. Even big dog wouldn’t resist after a shot or two. And that is legal in all states.

Umarex T4E TR50 Revolver $99 / fouind at MCSUS dot COM

SSR 100 x Hard Rubber Balls Paintballs in 50 Cal. $29.61 / found at Amazon

100x Hard Rubber Steel Balls Paintballs 50 Cal. for HDR T4E / $35.91 / found at Amazon

REVOLVER - MAGAZINES Umarex T4E TR50 Revolver .50 Caliber Magazine, Pack of 2x / $9.95 / Amazon

T4E HDR 50 cal. 50 Revolver OWNERS / on Facebook

CO2 cartridges are cheap at most stores. My last purchase cost $25 for 40x count

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Donnie3 , glad you could join us.

2 Likes

I think I would prefer just biting the dog back. :joy:

4 Likes