Poll: Shotgun Grip?

There are many great options for home-defense firearms. No matter which firearm you like for home defense, you’ll always have a variety to choose from.

If you have a shotgun for home defense (or are looking to get one for home defense), would you prefer:

• Pistol Grip
  • Traditional Stock
  • Other Please share your preference below

0 voters

1 Like

I have a AR style adjustable stock on mine.

4 Likes

I prefer a pistol grip on a 12ga. I am primarily a rifle shooter and I snuggle up to the receiver which nets me a bloody nose unless I remember to lay my thumb along the right side of the stock (after the first round I remember, mostly). I need to look into an AR stock for my 870 and Benellie/HK Super 90.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Welcome to the family and god bless you brother.

1 Like

I like the traditional stock on my home defense shotgun. Reason being, if I have it and need to move around, it feels easier for me to control the shotgun and keep it muzzle up if I need to say move down the hall to retrieve my boys from their rooms. I feel like I have a lot better control by being able to just grab the shotgun by the wrist and my hand is just a short slide down to firing position.

2 Likes

I’m actually looking. I read an article and I think I might like to check out the Steyr AUG. Im a small person and I want something simple, light and easy to shoot. Recommendations are welcome. I haven’t tried anything. Oh and I have no idea what kind of grip I want.

I bought a Remington Express with the black plastic stock. Bought all wood for it, then replaced the fore end with an older ‘corn cobb’ style. No plastic for my scattergun please. :grinning:

1 Like

Mesa Tactical makes a nice AR conversion for the Remington 870 & Mossberg 500. Sure there are others too.

I put an adjustable AR style w/pistol grip on my Mossberg 500. I liked the stock but it changed the dynamics
of the operation so much I couldn’t get used to it so I put the original wood stock back on. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

My backup for the boat paddle :joy:

2 Likes

I put a Magpul SGA stock on my 870. It is fantastic. It has a shape that gives you better control than a pistol grip.

1 Like

IMO on traditional pump shotguns, you just can’t go wrong with a Remington 870. Mine is a super mag and comes with a 28" barrel, but for not much extra $$, you can get an separate 18.5" hd barrel. Keltec also makes a bullpup shotgun, the KSG, which I will be getting if I get through the hurricane unscathed.

3 Likes

My shotgun is one of my most modded HD weapons, mainly because it is a bullpup 12 guage.

3 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Where did you get an 18.5" Supermag barrel for “not much extra $$?” I really want to know! I’ve never been able to get anyone from Remington to tell me it is safe to use a regular 870 SPS or Express barrel on the Supermag. Is that what you are doing?

2 Likes

My original post was incorrect. Mine has a 26" mag barrel… I have looked forever and can’t find a 3.5 chambered shorty…not that I would use it, that’s probably instant deaf :exploding_head::face_with_head_bandage: lol…the 26" will ring the bells if you don’t have ear pro! I think they won’t tell you that the barrel will fit because it was sold with a mag chambered barrel, and that would introduce liability. I use a 3" chambered shorty with no issues, and have never had a problem. Make sure you run a tighter choke with the shorter barrel.

2 Likes

I’ll take a full stock. Better control of a 12 gauge with it shouldered. I do like a combo stock, full shoulder with a pistol grip for a home defense scatter gun, though. All that said, in close quarters, I’d be interested to try a pistol grip, chainsaw for end. It may be a colossal flop, but, I’d still like to try one.

3 Likes

Clarity: are you saying you use a standard Remington 870 18.5" barrel on your 870 Supermag with no problems? I’m not looking to shoot 3.5" shells in a short barrel for HD. But I do load 2 3/4" #4 buckshot and 3" 00 buckshot. So I’m running an IC on the short barrel. The 28" barrel is for hunting waterfowl. So it typically has a Modified tube in it.

2 Likes

Yes, it works for me. I use a full or XF with 00 buck. I would go in the IM or full direction to keep the pattern as tight as possible.

1 Like

Nevermind. I was asking you what barrel you use for HD on your 870 Supermag, not what choke tubes you like.

1 Like