"Pistol Ar15" for Home defense?

We all can suffer from analysis paralysis, there are tons of options and all have pros/cons. You can really go down the rabbit hole on this topic. My recommendation is to just pick one and don’t look back :wink:

9mm is definitely an effective caliber, so I don’t want to dissuade you from using it for that reason. I was just pointing out that if the concern was over-penetration, then, you may need to re-evaluate.

9mm Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC)

• less noise/concussion
  • less recoil (faster follow up shots if needed)
  • shorter barrel (3-9" are common and viable) (potentially more maneuverable)
  • (for you) no new calibers
  • Depending on the PCC you get, maybe share mags with your pistols too
  • generally more penetration than 5.56, less than 300BO

300BO

• more noise/concussion
  • more recoil than 9mm
  • slightly longer barrel (8-9" is sweet spot)
  • ammo is stupid expensive right now, $1.20/cpr is the low-end. Pre-COVID “cheap” ammo was $0.50/cpr
  • more effective
  • generally more penetration through barriers (just as heavy as a pistol round, much higher velocity)

5.56/.223

• way more noise/concussion, especially in short pistol barrels 10-12"
  • more recoil than 9mm
  • even longer barrel (10.3 - 12.5" is sweet spot for pistols)
  • ammo is nearly same prices as 9mm
  • more effective
  • generally less penetration through barriers (way lighter than a pistol round, much higher velocity)

I really like 300BO for home defense because using supersonic rounds its a rifle caliber in a really short package (but not as short as a PCC). I’m not sure it’s more/less loud/concussive than 5.56 in something like an 11.5" barrel without a suppressor.

You can use subsonic rounds for less noise, but without a suppressor IMO that doesn’t have much appeal because you lose so much energy and its still loud. If you didn’t know, there are two sources of noise in a firearm. The “bang” of the explosion in the chamber, which is mostly suppressed by a suppressor. And then the supersonic crack as the bullet breaks the sound barrier leaving your barrel if it’s going fast enough and that is not suppressed by a suppressor. An effective suppressor (read, expensive) can effectively mitigate the “bang” but not the supersonic crack no matter how much money you throw at it. This is another rabbit hole, i’d be happy to expand further if the above doesn’t make sense.

You can suppress any firearm if you have the money, the time (waiting on ATF), and don’t mind putting your name on a gubment list. It’s not exclusive to 300BO.

1 Like

This is very good information, thanks for taking the time to put this together Harvey.

2 Likes

I have always preferred a rifle format for home defense mainly because that is what I grew up shooting. I didn’t get my first pistol until I was about 2008. With that being said, I am just better with a rifle than a pistol. That is where the AR pistol comes in. My main squeeze is a 10" barrel AR15 pistol chambered in .300 blackout.

I like the AR platform much more than anything else, am super comfortable using this platform and have a well equipped AR pistol for home defense purposes. Every weapon system has its pros and cons. You just have to determine for yourself which one works best for you and train with it.

1 Like