Pepper ball guns and felony convictions

Yes, I’ve discussed this with my daughter. I advised that if she ever has to zap someone with the bear spray, get out or get in your bedroom and close all the doors. Even then, there’s no guarantee they won’t be effected by it.

Enzo, in addition to pepper ball guns, what else is there, non-firearm, that you would recommend taking a look into? I’m not keen on regular pepper spray personally, you need to be too close and too accurate. That’s why I like the bear spray.

Other ideas?

1 Like

I’m generally not a big fan of pepper spray to be truthful, but that’s just personal preference and I’m all for whatever makes people sleep well at night. But in my mind if I don’t need a gun I have a LOT of other tools to work with.

With a little mental training (the right mindset) everything in the world is a weapon that will give you an advantage. For home, I’m a big fan of common items that instantly incapacitate like Aluminum bats, the “Little League” versions are better because they are easier to swing in confined spaces. Drill a hole through the base and add a parachord lanyard that you can wrap around your wrist (retention), wrap the grip area with cloth surgical tape and you have a formidable weapon. My buddy owns a gun store, has a gun on his person 100% of the time when he’s at work, and his favorite weapon of choice to dissuade BGs from sticking around the store is a swing practice aluminum softball bat. These are basically a long aluminum tube filled with lead shot. And this is a guy has probably a few hundred guns within a few feet of him.

Again at home, any edged instruments are great as long as we understand human anatomy. The book Grey’s Anatomy is good book if you really want to learn about the human body and should be required reading of anyone seeking to become proficient in the use of edged weapons. And you’re going to laugh… a spear. They are easily available, make for great home “decorations” and it’s VERY difficult to face off or advance on anyone with a spear in their hands. But again, mindset/training, if you’re in your house and someone comes at you with a knife and you have quick access to a chair you are NOT the one that should end in the hospital. anyone that does not believe this should arm someone with a rubber training knife, grab a common chair with the legs pointed at the opponent and you’ll swiftly realize you’re now in control.

Now the most effective way they can protect themselves out on the streets, short of a gun, is to sign up for Krav Maga classes. Unlike Karate and other oriental disciplines that have turned Dojos into babysitting places, Krav Mega is not a sport and it does NOT take years to become proficient enough to defend yourself confidently. It is truly a fighting discipline and it’s the art of inflicting as much damage and incapacitation (sometimes permanently) of an opponent as swiftly and violently as possible. Many folks carry knives that they don’t know how to use effectively. If they face up to someone with even rudimentary Krav Maga skills they will end up… broken.

in summary, 5-6 Krav Mega Lessons and anyone coming at you is in for a REALLY bad surprise. I personally know a tiny little 5’ woman who sent 3 grown men to the hospital (seriously hurt!) in the first 2 months of living in Brazil.

As an alternative, my pre-teen granddaughter is in a MMA Dojo 4 days a week, and she’s a scary little thing… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I can second the Krav Maga recommendation. I feel much more capable in situations where I have to be unarmed since I started taking instruction about a year ago. It is also very useful for buying time and space to get to a defensive tool if you are surprised at close distances.

Also second the edge weapons suggestion. I have discovered that the machetes I always keep in our vehicles for brush clearing is also a very useful defensive tool with just a little bit of instruction. I now keep one staged at home in the one room I have that isn’t close to my quick access firearm safes.

It is also good to pre think about other weapons of opportunity as @Enzo_T points out. I have gone through my home identifying the things in each room I could use if I was surprised in a way that wouldn’t allow me to get to a staged weapon. Chairs, fireplace poker, kitchen knives, etc. Anyone who breaks into our home will receive a very hot welcome regardless of whether or not I can get to my primary defensive tools.

For out and about a sturdy pen is a good way to ad force to your strikes if you can’t have access to better tools.

2 Likes

Pencils! Everyone forgets the damn PENCILS!!! :rofl:

3 Likes

Also think about reinforcing everything so they don’t gain entry in the first place.

4 Likes

As a Corrections Officer pencils scared the HE!! out of me. Every inmate had one and we even sharpened pencils for them.

3 Likes

ABSOLUTELY! and for a few hundred $$$s, less than the cost of even an inexpensive firearm, you can go to Best Buy and get a full house SimplySafe system that you can set up and install yourself, including monitoring, in a couple of hours.

There are NO long term contracts and no dealing with sales people. VERY cost effective and it works! I didn’t know my wife had left the house to go shopping and I came home from the range and just opened my garage door with the car remote and proceeded to start emptying the car of a substantial amount of shooting gear. In about 2 minutes 2 police cars showed up. They were AWESOME!!! Very professional and thorough and they actually said very nice things about my SimplySafe system.

The system has panic buttons and a phone app that allows you to see everything including your security cameras (if you choose to have some) live and the status of every season in your system. Everything is wireless.

2 Likes

Couldn’t find any bandoliers specifically made for pencils but this might work?:slight_smile:

2 Likes

My concern there would be the improvised weapons you are listing seem like they would likely (I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice or interpretation of the law) be considered lethal force. Pepper spray is not.

If hitting someone in the head with a bat is justified, or using an edged weapon is justified, that’s probably an appropriate time to use a firearm.

Pepper spray is for when that level of force is not justified. Generally.

But +1 for empty hand training, you’ll always have that with you.

Agree with what you are saying @Nathan57 but in this case I think the original poster was looking for alternatives to a firearm for home defense not because they really wanted a less lethal option but because the person mentioned wasn’t allowed to posses a firearm. So other potentially lethal options are worth considering as well.

Personally if someone just bashed in my door and my only options were to either grab a baseball bat or some pepper spray I’d likely reach for the bat.

1 Like

Ah yes, forgot which thread we were in. Good catch lol

In that case, the likely lethal force improvised weapons may be preferred where a firearm would otherwise be applicable, but still, for the not lethal force situations [pepper spray may be a good fit…forgot to finish my sentence first time…that there multitasking)

<–Not a lawyer, not legal advice

2 Likes

And ROCKS, I should’ve remembered the ROCKS!!!

2 Likes

Rocks GOOD!!! :+1::+1:

A friend of mine, spent some time at college, before he was old enough to carry concealed and the college banned students from carrying firearms, he carried a percussion cap ball and powder revolver…

The school could not do anything as it was not a gun, and the at the time, the unarmed school security kept in contact with him as backup when they had questionable persons on campus they had to deal with…

The college was and still is, in not the best part of town and my friend, did what he needed too, to keep himself safe…

Im tempted to get into some similar cap and ball revolvers as it would be fun to learn and have not a gun revolvers…

1 Like

Incidentally, my relative who cannot own firearms does have simplisafe in their home. And ample deadbolt locks. Good system!!! Reasonable monitoring fees.

3 Likes

Good for him!

So funny, when I was in college my buddy and I had matching .22 bolt action rifles in our dorms. Everyone knew. No one cared. My how much things have changed :cry:

1 Like

When I was in college I legally carried my firearm on campus and to home football games (50-60k stadium capacity). Friends knew and the faculty member head of my student org knew. And I wasn’t the only one.

This was this century.

I did live off campus as this was not freshmen year (though it would have been legal to have in the dorms under state law as an 18 year old freshman had I got my license yet, probably still get kicked out if people found out as a freshman living in the dorms due to rules though)

1 Like

No kidding we sprayed I did at the unit and every one ran out so mad at me I had to buy donots for the next two weeks Bobby Jean :feather::feather:

Sorry for necro posting here; however, could you tell me whih lawyer you spoke to? I have gone through the entire list of Wisonsin lawyers on the USCCA website (I am a member), and have either recieved no response from most and less that thorough responses from one who didnt even bother to fully read my question and appeared to want nothing to do with me since I dont have a current case (Im the ex felon in question). I work as a process server in Milwaukee, and the half the neighborhoods I serve in the police wont even go. Im at my wits ends trying to figure out how I can legally defend myself and I cannot seem to get any answers. I caught my case when I was 16. I am now 39. I just want to be safe while doing my job. For any moderators, Im sorry if I broke any rules by necro posting, I thought that this would be better than starting a new thread. Thank you for time yall.

5 Likes