Parents of Michigan school shooter charged with manslaughter

It is a parents responsibility to assess maturity not age.

Any fool can assess his age!

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s a huge stretch.

What I ACTUALLY believe is that nobody should allow underage kids, particularly untrained, to have unfettered, unsupervised access to firearms, period.

To those who grew up on farms etc with firearms around and were comfortable and familiar with responsible use, that’s fantastic.

This kid does not even come close to that.

4 Likes

Hmmm…it’s not obvious to me. And I think I’d know.

3 Likes

You might be.

Someone is responsible. Do you want your child to be held responsible for this? If not, then who?

In our over-the-top litigious and don’t-hold-me-or-my-kids-responsible and everyone-gets-a-participation-trophy world, a DA is going to try pinning anything on anyone.

I know, it sucks. But that’s our reality. And I think we’re stuck with this awful reality until we:

1. Reintroduce the concept of truth. (And we have a lot of damage to undo, which started with Nietzsche)

2. Teach and reinforce personal responsibility.

3. Stop giving out participation trophies.

4. Most important, replace our American arrogance with a humble submission to God our creator.

2 Likes

Certainly, to me, the person responsible is the person that actually Did It. I can legally have this or that in my house, I can legally use these things. I am certainly responsible for teaching my kids right from wrong, however, I am not responsible for all of the actions of others, even my kids.

2 Likes

@Mike164

4 Likes

Ditto in Wisconsin

2 Likes

Well, actually, you are. See the next two posts.

2 Likes

Man! I guess I was lucky. Good thing my kids are grown and went on to be responsible adults.

4 Likes

Yup, we all are. Parenting is more art than it is science, and there is no such thing as a perfect parent (other than God himself). So when our kids turn out pretty good, despite our many flaws, that’s a major accomplishment.

5 Likes

I wonder if any of you have seen the new report about nuclear families in the U.S.

Less that 20% of homes with children have married parents there. Then, I wonder how many of those parents both work outside the home. So, it remains a huge question of WHO is teaching those children right from wrong?

4 Likes

I think everyone should listen to the video evidence in the Shooters trial. Google it. He made a video the night before the senseless tragedy. He speaks about why; his level of manipulation; his efforts in searching for the firearm and his determination to carry out the act. A standout statement “I apologize to my parents … I know I will spend the rest of my life in prison. I am messing up my life not theirs” Unfortunately, none of which was allowed as evidence in the parent trial.

4 Likes

Unfortunately they did a poor job of parenting they knew he had emotional issues and purchased him a gun and did not supervise him even with his issues, and when the school asked them to take him home the day of the shooting the parents refused. They certainly are culpable as well.

4 Likes

Edit; wrong place

1 Like