Numbers Game: Buckshot For Home Defense | USCCA

Mossberg 500 with the 18.5” barrel.

My sight picture with the brass bead needs some work.

Seven yards is the longest shot I might need to take inside the house.

This is a nice example for folks that assume that shot flies all over as soon as it leaves the muzzle.
Is that 12 pellets at 21 feet, Frank?

Edit - looked it up. 10 pellets!

Very good information. I have 2 house shotguns. One is an old Mossberg 500 12 gauge with 18.5" cylinder bore barrel and wood stock that I picked up for $100. No big loss if it is taken for evidence. I have the fiber optic clip on bead and a flashlight mounted to it. I highly recommend the fiber optic clip on bead. It is loaded with 27 pellet #4 buck. I have patterned it at 7, 10, 15, 20 and 25 yards. 25 yards is pretty much maximum effective range even with 00. The other shotgun and 1st choice is a Mossberg 500 410 with a cylinder bore 18.5" barrel. It is loaded with 9 pellet #4 buck. It too has the fiber optic clip on bead and a flashlight. Don’t ever underestimate the 410. While it does not have the power of a 12 gauge it is light, fast, quieter and a lot lower recoil. Excellent for smaller shooters or limited recoil tolerance. It too has been patterned at 7, 10 and 15 yards. I do have some 4x .40" ball loads that will work past 25 yards.

1 Like

Good work on knowing your patterns, @Joseph202.
And welcome to the USCCA community!