New Pistol Break-in

The 2.0 is a sweet piece!! Like I said, I’m ready to get to the range and put some rounds through it. Thanks for the heads-up FYI on the front fiber optic sight. Will definitely keep that in mind!!

1 Like

Only break in I’ve had and am still in the process of doing since I dont get to shoot as much as I want plus ammo costs.

Semi-auto 22lr
VR80 with Birdshot

1 Like

What is getting broken in—the hand gun or the shooter?
Hand guns should leave the factory 100% Tightly assembled match guns will smooth out with use of course, but they shouldn’t fail,
During WW2 new inventory was fired to assure they functioned, then issued. If they failed they were rejected.
OTOH setting aside time on the range, getting acquainted with a new gun is always a good idea—like it’s the shooter getting broken in.

3 Likes

I live by a set of cardinal rules learned in the US Army.
Break in …, in my opinion is
(1) Understanding your class of firearm.
Breaking it in means: Doing research on all of its functions
become familiar with every aspect of its functioning
(2) Understand how to break it down and reassemble from day (1) so you can initiate its first inspection / cleaning / and firearms functions test. Familiarization prevents wrecks!
(3) Research what the manufacturer says is the best maximum recommended and NOT recommended ammunition for the firearm. Several will give guidance on any owners manual and some will recommend right on the firearms exterior itself.
(4) Gather intelligence blogs from open forums with other owners of the same firearm you own. See where the experiences by brands and grains are reporting from various ranges through multiple locations.
(5) If there are no tools available to conduct repairs know where your gun smiths are and contact info to the manufacturer. I keep every owners manual / technical manual I receive at purchases. It also has maintenance log sheets and in some cases an owners register with the manufacturer on your purchase date for their archives. This one thing I’m skeptical of myself. It could backfire.
(6) I inspect and clean if necessary my daily carry by looking for rust, lent, low to no light coat lubrications. Overdoing it causes dense fogging when firing or vapor that aggravates the eyes.
(7) Stored firearms are Inspected at a minimum weekly. I run them through their functions checks / safe mode/ cycling processes/ checking for pressures on all firearm action functions.
(8) Store firearms unloaded! With children around additional locks!
(9) Rotate daily carries. Consider destinations and velocity liabilities. This may not go under breaking in a firearm to some, but to others it is because you can remain familiarized with a wider array of calibers permitting a consistent level of competence while factoring in Public safety. As I explained to my Wife , If you accidentally miss an attacker and kill an innocent bystander - under the law your position just got flipped under liability and faults.
(10) Remember that some firearms are pushed to their max abilities in testing phases while a “What works best” middle ground is found by the creators of these firearms.
My comment is not meant in any way to sound like a know it all…, this is to help first timers with firearms and the less experienced amongst us.
Good luck out there all.

3 Likes

Those are pretty arbitrary numbers. If the training department does a video on “break in periods”, I would hope they would do some real research on manufacturers recommendations.

I’ve never, over a course of 50-plus new-purchase handguns, most of them 1911’s, experienced a necessity for a break-in period. Same with striker fired guns. Some may or may not have had an occasional malfunction that was the actual fault of the gun or the ammunition. Most were user / operator induced. (That’s me.) Modern metallurgy technology and machining coupled with overall advances in manufacturing pretty much eliminates a lot of problems associated in the past with firearms needing a “break in” period. As stated by others, thorough cleaning and lubrication before firing the first time is a must. Those manufacturers who do specify a break-in period most likely are doing it because of the vast differences in shooter’s level of familiarity and training.

Just my opinion, of course, but I can’t recall buying a new firearm in a very long time that required a break in period. Perhaps a “recommended” period was stated, which is way different than a requirement. Again- I think that goes to the level of experience the new gun owner may or may not have.

3 Likes

I know that most of the vehicle break in periods,certainly for motorcycles, are to get the rider acquainted to the new vehicle and have nothing to with with actually function of the vehicle. Perhaps that same desire is afoot here?

3 Likes

I unfortunately have experienced a pistol the Mfg said required a “break in “. I bought a new to market Kimber Solo. (Kimber, expensive, gotta be good, right). I loved the weight and balance of the piece and I order a 150 custom holster before I even got the pistol in. I cleaned and lubed it. Kimber said a break in of (as best I recall) 40 rounds of heavy weight 9mm (147). Ok, no problem fired it, numerous fte and ftf. What the heck, put another 60 through it. Same result. Bought and ran a second 100 rounds through it, no joy. What the heck. Back to Kimber, 5 weeks later it’s back and”ready”. Go out to shoot, ftf and fte. Switch to 124 grain defense rounds, ftf and fte. Tried no less than 7 boxes of varied defense rounds, exact same problem! I am NOT a happy camper. Tried two new mags, same issue. To local ‘Smith. He tells me they are a “known problem”. He stripped, polished and honed. Fired a mag through and it worked fine. No problem. Back home and at my range , Ftf and fte😳. Called the ‘smith, (a friend) he said he’d done everything he knew and had no idea what else could be done. Back to Kimber, returned in two weeks “unable to duplicate problem”. After months of work, frustration, and expense I finally dumped it. In all the time I’d had it I never got through two magazines without a malfunction of some sort. Got a 938 Sig, perfect out of the box, as has been an XDS, CZ Rami, and Bond Bullpup. Lessons learned. (1)readReliable reviews AND check owner forums for issues before buying ANY piece (2) Avoid new and unproven designs, and (3) high$$$ does not guarantee high quality (4) Never, EVER, buy a weapon that the manufacturer says needs to be “broken in”. If they can’t build it where it’ll run after being cleaned and oiled, I do NOT want it, no matter how “cool” or “special” it is. A very painful experience. I require an absolute minimum of 250 of the rounds like what I intend to carry to run flawlessly before I’ll depend on ANY auto and I spent a young fortune on ammo for the Solo trying to find anything that would work. A painful experience and one I have no desire to ever repeat.

3 Likes

@Aaron40 great post on cardinal rules. Good education and feedback for me, thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

You’re welcome.
Sorry I didn’t respond sooner as I have been very busy lately with assisting my youngsters through school and the Honey do this list. Lol.
I only offer experience as an offer to help never claiming to be all wise.
Life is learning for all of us right up to the last breath.
Wish you well, take care.

1 Like

Had some problems with certain ammo in certain firearms sometimes. Had some issues with mags. A long time ago an older gent told me to load up the mags & let them sit for awhile. Haven’t had a mag problem since. Not including 1911 mags which seem to wear the springs out after years of use.

1 Like

After 500 or so rounds my Beretta APX Compact did seem to run a bit smoother, but the difference was negligible. The gun runs like a champ.
For cleaning, I just toss it in the dishwasher, and mix a bit of CLP in with the detergent - a 50:50 mix works well. Food tastes a bit odd now, but man, do the dishes sparkle! And the cute little trail of bubbles that my bullets leave is just adorable!

(If you believe this, I have an awesome bridge for sale! Cheap, too!)
(I’m not responsible for damage to your weapon if you actually try this. Nor will I cover the cost of the EMT’s when you get deathly ill from the CLP on your plates.)

2 Likes

I put CLP on my ammo and it cleans as you shoot.warning

3 Likes

Gonna have to try that!

1 Like
1 Like

The only break-in I’m aware of relates to the trigger smoothing out after a couple of hundred rounds. Working as an RSO, I’ve seen many people take a brand new gun from the sales counter straight to the firing line without cleaning it first. This is a bad idea since you don’t know what kind of factory oils, if any, are on the moving parts. Also, be careful about taking advise from youtube videos.

…and forums. :slight_smile:

1 Like