Need Help Training New Shooter

Last night my neighbor told me she has purchased a Taurus G2C for home defense, but has no clue how to use it. She asked if I would take her to the range and help get her up and shooting. I brought her pistol to my house and cleaned and oiled it this morning.

My thinking is to start her out with dry fire practice until she feels comfortable finding the front sight and trigger control. Once proficient with those skill sets, then take her to the range to try shooting a target 10 feet away with live fire/recoil. I started both of my kids with 40 S&W because that is what I had available at the time. But I now have a Browning 1911-22LR available that I could use to introduce her to lower recoil before graduating to 9mm recoil. The G2C and the 1911-22 share a manual safety on the left side, and that safety is UP for SAFE and DOWN for FIRE on both pistols. My question is introducing the 1911-22 into the equation a good or bad idea?

Any additional tips or advise is appreciated.

8 Likes

“Bad or good idea”? It depends.
Try her first. Let her work on her G2C (fry fire) first. She must become comfortable with fer own handgun.
You can show her 1911-22 and explain differences, just in case she will need to use it later.

If you start live fire I’d still stay her G2C. If she tells you she doesn’t like the recoil or it is too hard to manage it, then you can go with 1911-22.
The worst what can happen once you start everything with 1911-22 is that she may like it better and won’t feel comfortable shooting her G2C.

Additional advice - let her tell you 4 Gun Safety Rules flawlessly several times before you visit the range. :crossed_fingers:

8 Likes

Sounds good.

My outline of steps:

1. Learn and recite the 4 rules
  2. Demonstrate basic safe handling/rule 3/rule 2 with a dummy gun (anything that is close enough to a gun’s form, but inert, even Nerf)
  3. Go to the range. Re-demonstrate with unloaded real gun actually on the line
  4. Load 1 round for new shooter, have them fire the 1 round, following all safety rules throughly

use your judgment on whether or not you continue after the 1st run round, and when you give them more than 1 round in the gun at a time

Step 4 can be .22lr first, and depending on how that goes, then switch to the centerfire

9 Likes

@Gary_H
I am a newbie shooter and have found the SIRT (https://nextleveltraining.com/) to be an excellent training tool to learn the basics of grip, stance, trigger control, safety, etc… I was hesitant at first to get a SIRT because I was already getting private instruction. Now, my instructor has me dividing time with him between the range and a separate room for SIRT training, such as ‘holster draw’ and timing to the target. It really helps. I also bought their DVD to use at home with my SIRT. Excellent, and goes over each step of the process, emphasis on safety, grip, trigger control, stance and lateral movement, staying on target, etc…PISTOL FUNDAMENTALS DVD - Next Level Training

6 Likes

START WITH SAFETY!!! Teach her the cardinal rules and what they mean. Make sure she understands the potential problems that could occur if a rule gets broken or overlooked. Safety while at home. Safety in the car. Safety at the range. Have her give you feedback on what you are teaching. Get Snap Caps so she can practice loading/unloading mags, clearing feeding problems, managing stove pipes, what to do if she drops her firearm. Teach just enough stance, grip, alignment, breathing necessary for safety…marksmanship can come later. When you feel she is ready to fire that first round at the range have her load and fire one round. Then do that several more times before progressing to multiple rounds. Don’t hesitate to get professional assistance if you have any doubts about safety. Safety first. Safety always.

11 Likes

Purchase snap caps. Practice basic operation of the pistol and dry fire with snapcaps, before going to the range.

7 Likes

Totally agree about getting professional assistance. I am using private one-on-one training with highly qualified instructors (NRA; USCCA). One of the best investments I have ever made.

4 Likes

Start with the .22 and keep her on that gun until the shooting fundamentals (grip, stance, sight picture and trigger control) are TIGHT!!! Recoil and muzzle blast are separate skills a new shooter should not be asked to master until they get those fundamentals solid on a .22 or even an air gun!!!

After she masters the fundamental shooting skills have her take one shot and one shot only with the 9mm at a time. Do not progress her to multiple shots until you observe her doing a proper follow through which means returning the gun to the initial hold and sight picture 100% consistently.

If you start her with a 9mm I will guarantee you she will develop bad habits that will be hard to correct later.

9 Likes

This too!!! I like to teach fundamentals with dry fire until they are pretty solid, usually about 20-50 repetitions for your average new shooter.

If you do this their first shot will be in the bullseye and you’ll get a rather satisfying smile out of them.

9 Likes

I like to start with the four safety rules. I want to make sure they know how to load dummy rounds into the mag, load the mag into the gun, eject rounds and show clear. All that before I introduce live ammunition. I never hand someone a loaded gun.

5 Likes

Start off with firearm handling, booger hook of the bang switch till ready to shoot and all the other firearm rules…

First thing a new person does is put finger on the trigger and wave the gun around…

G2C is what I start many people on, even people in their mid 60’s.

However, when it is time for them to start shooting, i load a single round in the mag and progress towards a full mag.

5 Likes

Happy anniversary, brother!!

3 Likes

I totally agree start with safety first. I would also add to the dry firing different techniques for racking a slide. Lastly, how to field strip and clean.

4 Likes

Lots of very good suggestions including starting with learning the 4 safety rules and dry fire. I also like to show people how to break down and clean their firearm before the first shots as well. I like to do this myself with a new firearm to help get familiar with it before I take it to the range.

I have helped a couple people take their first shots but I always highly recommend they seek further lessons from a qualified instructor after my introduction.

4 Likes

Have her watch John Wick. :grinning:
Just kidding, everyone above has given you all the advice.
IMG_3236

4 Likes

First rule to not be like John Wick - never use the pencil until you are proficient with a handgun.

A 2024-01-10 20-46-40

4 Likes

Prior to going to the range, I would give a crash course on the basic rules of firearm safety, range etiquette, loading an empty magazine, racking the slide, and dry fire practice.

4 Likes

hmmm… recoil could be an issue? if ya got a 33 maybe start her with that then go to her firearm?

AFTER the rules for firearms can be repeated to you verbatim perhaps?

3 Likes

Gun safety rules are a gimme. They should be taught to every person, shooter or not. My kids learned them looooooong before they ever handled a gun.

7 Likes

Do I get a shake with that fry fire?

Asking for a friend :rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

5 Likes