MRE's what is the best?

Very true. I have found that to be a fact lol

1 Like

These are old friends from my past lol. Use to take the can that had the John Wayne bars and crackers . punch hole with my P38 to make an adhock stove. set it on the box and burn it as a fuel source. Really need some water to flush that fruit cake down though. If it tells you anything. My packets in the beginning still had cigarettes

2 Likes

If it didnt ,I’t was pretty darn close

1 Like

Like your list, If you don’t mind. I will add this to my existing one. especially the brandy. a few of you had are missing off mine

1 Like

I have run across some in the NG that still had the small cigs in them, but most had Chicklets gum instead.

2 Likes

It’s been a long time since I went camping. I think the last time we had Mountain House meals until we setup a more permanent camp, then mixed that with fishing. I was the city boy of the group, so I didn’t pay much attention to their setup. I do remember I was the one carrying the bear pack, and it got heavier as the trip progressed… they decided to add more equipment into it as the food became depleted. The more experienced in the group were coffee people, so they brought a coffee grinder and had fresh coffee everyday.

Although it’s not really what you’re talking about… When I take long road trips or am traveling on the cheap, I usually rely on cans of low sodium black beans, bottled water, and if I want to treat myself, I’ll take a container of some terrible tasting instant coffee and some mixed nuts. I can get by on that for a few days if I’m not picky. After eating that for a day or two, any raw fruits or vegetables from the grocery taste like a delicacy. I like foods heavy in fiber when I travel… mostly because I think it seems to make me feel full, and I don’t get hungry 30 minutes after eating it like certain foods and snacks do.

2 Likes

I had my first C-Rats in 1968 and my last in 1982. All had a four pack of non-filtered cigarettes that were packed in the mid to late 1940’s. You only got one or two puffs since they burned so fast. If you were lucky you got Pall Mall which were called seven minute burners if they were fresh.

4 Likes

I joined the NG in 1983, and during that first year we still had some C-rats issued for drill weekend FTXs. Yeah, the cigs burned very quickly. A lot of horse-trading went on over those little packs of smokes.

3 Likes

Yep, I was a non smoker so I traded mine for Pound cake or fruit cocktail LOL

4 Likes

Got my first c rats around Jan 72 till 79 started in Nam.

3 Likes

Welcome Home!

1 Like

Thanks my friend.

2 Likes