Making training as realistic as possible

I remember a class in the NCO Academy in Bad Toelz. We are sitting there in class, the DI is giving his spiel when the door burst open, 2 guys run in, shoot the DI, Grab a student and drag him out. The instructor that got shot jumps up and starts yelling “WHAT DID YOU SEE?” “WHAT DID YOU DO?” “Write it down”. About a minute later he collects the papers. It was very eye opening to see how many different versions there were…

3 Likes

One of the issues I have been struggling with is coming up with drills that condition me to stop firing when the threat has stopped.

I was practicing with my new SIRT pistol today and the foster cat my wife and son decided to adopt was very into it. So I chose a target on the wall close to the floor and tried some rapid fire drills on it. I found that when the cat charged and got in the way of the target that I automatically stopped firing in time not to hit him with the laser.

We got a system going where I would take a shot or two to get him focused on the target. Then I could draw and shoot until the cat charged in the way. Usually after 2 to 5 shots. I was able to stop every time with no laser dots hitting the cat. With the pause due to the target getting blocked the cat would usually shift slightly away signaling the threat had resumed and giving me an opening for another shot or two before he would lunge back in the way.

Maybe not the most realistic training but it certainly added in a shoot don’t shoot and start stop variable that was very random as well as a little bit of the hostage drill thrown in since the cat would sometimes sit very close to the target waiting for the laser.

2 Likes

Well, I practice a 5-shot string as one firing iteration. This is in my muscle memory. You will have to be specific when instructing me to fire only one shot. Guess I’ll be in deep kimchee!

1 Like

I try to vary my strings because I don’t want one set muscle memory response that may or may not fit whatever situation I find myself in.

My recent cat training with the SIRT pistol helps give a random start stop signal but even at the range I try and vary things anywhere from 1 to 6 before a brief pause to assess if more are needed. Though I mostly keep my strings in the 2 to 4 range both before and after the pause if needed.

4 Likes

Do a couple of tours in a really crappy country.Realistic as it gets.

2 Likes

I’m still continuing with my realistic training.

Today was getting to my SIRT pistol and getting shots on target while being grabbed and/or taking punches to the head (with thick padded boxing gloves or being stabbed and slashed with a foam knife.

With the attacker anywhere closer than 10 or 15 feet I was definitely taking strikes or stabs before getting a shot off unless I didn’t try going for the gun first and used both hands along with elbows and knees to creat a larger opening. Not trying to go for the pistol when the attacker was moving in seemed to be the safest bet.

Moving back myself the instant I was able to get the attacker off balance and moving away from me seemed to be the best bet for getting time and space to draw and get shots in. Even then almost all my shots were from the hip or a compressed position. Though there were some times where my coach just got the total advantage and I couldn’t create space. All I could do was punch knee and elbow or occasionally draw and fire while being pinned and stabbed. Hopefully I would make it to the hospital in time under those circumstances.

It’s all much harder when your heart is beating at max and the adrenaline is through the roof even though it is only a foam knife and padded fist. A good holster that stays where it is supposed to is also important. I don’t have a great holster for my SIRT pistol and there were a couple of times that I lost a second and took a stab or two because the pistol had shifted from where I was expecting it to be. But even then carrying AIWB really helped with retention and quick draws. I surprised my coach a couple times with how quickly I got shots on him.

5 Likes

Love it Love it Love it.
Monday we worked on picking up/racking/firing a handgun (training prop) from the ground while being attacked. It’s a whole different game when someone is kneeing you in the face and running over you. Then we went to two attackers. It’s really enlightening and a sh!t load of fun…

6 Likes

There’s things that I realistically can not do. I could tell myself I could, train for it, but know that my body could not cash that check. So I train for what I can do. High situational awareness. Scenario training. Speed in my OODA Loop. Fast, accurate shots from concealment.

5 Likes

That’s exactly what we teach, find out what you can do, train, practice and do it well. All we want to do is give everyone of our students a chance in the event the little bastard on the street picks them.

6 Likes

THAT^^^^^^^is beautiful Brother.
Ya’ll know I LOVE MOVIES!
and Clint Eastwood has a now famous line:
‘A man’s got to know his limitations!’
Zavier, you are proof of that
Me too!
Can’t run away anymore,
I need to be as aware as I can be to see the threats as fast as possible
Training then kicks in FAST DRAW (NO HESITATION!) BANG BANG!)
Mike and Sham I applaud you keeping it real and current, You are way ahead of the Training curve.
You folk’s ROCK! Virtual Salute!

WWG1WGA

5 Likes