Loading your gun with one hand

How many members practice putting a round in the chamber with either hand off the back of their boot? I have learned by this training you can rack your weapon and chamber it with either hand. Does any instructors do that type of training? Bobby Jean

5 Likes

I practice strong hand and weak hand loading a SNAPCAP in the empty magazine, slap it into the gun magwell, rack the gun, and dry fire “CLICK!” DARN! :grimacing: then clear the MALFUNCTION, and start all over again with the opposite hand, practicing 4 times with each hand. Good exercise :wink:.

7 Likes

Yes, one hand manipulation is a part of my training. Not only racking that slide but the whole sequence - draw, shoot until empty, reload, rack, reengage, re holster.
Because it’s a good idea to be prepared for any situation, I practice this with strong hand and weak hand.

BTW… I found RDS to be very helpful with one hand racking. :muscle: It can be easily done over the thigh.

4 Likes

I have practiced it but needless to say not with live ammo.

4 Likes

I don’t practice it. I figure getting hit by a meteor is about as likely as having to do that (and training time is finite, we all have to pick and choose where to put it, I choose to spend more time on drawing and firing two handed or SHO instead just personal preference)

But because it’s a thing trainers like to do, I’ve been instructed and trained and had to do it multiple times in various trainings (including live), so there’s that.

Now, malfunction clearance with with one hand, tap rack reasses, maybe I can buy that one. Smack the base of the mag on something to seat it, rack the slide with the ejection port generally down, get the gun back up in front of you, one handed…not a bad thing to be able to do.

Takes a lot of time though, and can’t really do it while moving much. Time seems to generally be the limiting factor in private citizen defensive gun uses.

Edit: BTW, my more recent class that covered it I found the most interesting. For one handed reloads/clearing a complex malfunction, he basically just said, put the gun down. Like, use whatever you’ve got to rack the slide and lock it open, and drop the mag…then set the gun down, retrieve new mag (or old mag after working action to clear), insert/reinsert mag, then pick the gun back up.

So many and all my prior trainigns were holding the gun in your hands or between your knees or sticking in your belt or holster or something, but he’s like…you’re probably not moving while doing this (cover please), and you probably have a car trunk or hood or table or the ground available…just set it down while you are retrieving a magazine or whatever and shoving it in.

BTDT guy who also competed at a high level after service

5 Likes

Yes I do practice those myself and train others. It was how I was trained decades ago. Some of my former students/client’s have actually utilized that training in real world engagements by being injured.
Bottom line it’s Murphy repellant and since you have trained for it, if it really does require application, your brain has something loaded in its CPU and that allows quicker response, less stress and better motor skill - all of which are desperately in short supply when SHTF.

4 Likes

Shoes and the seam on my pants. I’ve actually done it during live fire. My problem is, it’s not 100%, shoes are about 75% and pants are about 50%. I guess if injured I might go to it.

3 Likes

I have trained using my belt, shoe and edge of counter or table.

5 Likes

Thanks for training this style of racking. It will save your life. God Bless. Bobby Jean

2 Likes

Thank you for keeping it real. God Bless. Bobby Jean

2 Likes

You left out carton of eggs😉

5 Likes

Semper fi

3 Likes

Brother Gene, thank you for your wisdom on chambering a round on the back of your boot. Could you explain what loaded in your CPU in your mind? Everyone seems to think that you are talking about a CPU of a computer. And I had it Googled and it’s came back AI intelligence. And everyone doesn’t seem to understand AI got it from your mind and not your mind from AI. People that seem to think that this is unnecessary to train have never been shot in their dominant hand or shoulders or they would understand this is if they live or die down range. Thank you for your service and training. Bobby Jean

2 Likes

I think what he means is that you consciously know that that process exists and what it is intended to accomplish.

You are correct I have not been shot in my dominant hand or shoulder in a gunfight with an empty gun and had to reload it and return fire with my weak hand only. Really hope it never comes to that.

4 Likes

Thanks for your input, Nathan57. I hope and pray that no one has to go through anything like this. I was thankful to have the training. That’s why I’m here today and what we train and practice with the tools that we have makes the difference between going home or to the morgue. God Bless and thank you for your input. Bobby Jean

3 Likes

Nathan, when I got shot in my right shoulder had I not practiced and learned changing the magazine and reloading with my non-dominant hand that meteorite I would have been riding through space to the good Lord. The tools that you have to defend yourself are only as good as you are at using them under great duress. Stay safe. Bobby Jean

2 Likes

Good job, brother. Keep up the good training. God Bless Bobby Jean

2 Likes

Yes, eggs are high protein and keep your strength up so that you can do that one hand reload maneuver. But then again you’re running on adrenaline. And after being shot you will lose your breakfast. So don’t forget the toast to settle your stomach. God Bless Bobby Jean

2 Likes

@BobbyJean Give it a try for part of your training, it’s worth the challenge.

1 Like

Mike, when you get shot in your shoulder and it is your dominant side it gets really hard to think with a shattered collar bone and it is absolute desperation to reload to return the favor. God Bless. Keep up the good training. Bobby Jean

3 Likes