Left, right eyed dominant, cross dominant, How about ambidextrous?

My son is significantly cross eye dominant. We figured this out when he was trying to shoot a bow with a peep site. He felt way more comfortable shooting right handed but because his left eye is so much stronger he could only get a clear sight picture without seeing two targets if he squinted. But his left eye wants to be the one calling the shots so badly that he had issues closing it.

I took a pair of shooting glasses and covered the left with wax paper. With them on he can keep both eyes open and get a clean sight picture since everything the left eye sees is just a blur. Iā€™m hoping eventually his brain will get so used to using his right eye for peep sights and scopes that he wonā€™t need to squint or blur his left eye.

I recently got a SIRT laser trainer pistol. My son saw it and wanted to give it a try. He automatically picked it up with his right hand and started squinting his left to see the sights better. I explained that with the pistol he didnā€™t need to worry about which eye he was using.

I think he was starting to get it after a few minutes of trying but it is going to take some work for him to get comfortable with it due to all his practice with the bow and nerf gun rifle sights.

I am cross eye dominant though I am left handed and right eyed. But I have always done two handed activities like swinging a bat, shooting a bow or rifle as a righty. All my one handed activities- throwing or shooting a pistol I do lefty and Iā€™ve never had an issue. With a pistol my head and hands just automatically shift slightly so my right eye lines up with the sights in my left hand. With a rifle I am just like any other right handed/right eyed person.

5 Likes