Leaving your carry gun in your car at work

Hello everyone I’m a new concealed carry permit holder and i do work at a restaurant that serves alcohol beverages in Illinois in lake Zurich! I’m a line cook so my question is can I leave my firearm in my car on company parking lot in between a grocery store! I would just like any suggestions I plan not to,carry inside a restaurant!

1 Like

Let’s see what the Gun Law says:

Under Illinois’ Concealed Firearm Carry Act, enacted in 2013, a person who is issued a valid concealed carry license is permitted to keep or carry a loaded or unloaded concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle. While the owner of private real property of any type may prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms on the property under his or her control, state law allows a person to store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area of the owner’s property and other areas where the carrying of firearms is prohibited.

That pretty clear explains everything… the most important are:

• locked vehicle
  • locked container
  • out of plain view

Even you see or in the text, I’ll suggest to apply all 3 rules. The least expensive option is - locked glove box, recommended option - car gun safe, permanently mounted.

7 Likes

IDK. Maybe “check your local listings”; With all the laws, city, county & state; They might differ from our parts.

Personally, if I’m allowed to store one in my vehicle in my job’s lot, I’d never tell my employer, friends, coworkers or even family, because my employer would find out and possibly terminate me or pass me over for a job or promotion.

Without causing any stir or suspicion, are you allowed to read the employee policies? Think of other reasons why you’d ever need to see them, because they will ask you.

If you are allowed, for starters and maybe long term, never leave it loaded, always have a trigger lock, and case locked, tied to the car, and ammo in a separate also locked box.

The part where you mentioned grocery store, I regret I can’t understand; Maybe expand on what you mean?

If you meant “park in their lot” with a firearm in your car as a regular habit when you go to work at a completely different establishment, if so, my personal answer would be no, too many problems can occur with that scenario.

Unless completely separately, only during while you are shopping, there, say once a week and if the grocery store does not allow firearms inside. Although there may be other grocers who don’t have a Prohibited sign.

Check it out.

1 Like

Thank u so much for the help

2 Likes

I will just fellow what is recommended according to the state laws thank u for the support god bless America

2 Likes

I agree with JERZY. If your shift involves night work, you might want to consider also parking in a well lighted area, if possible.

2 Likes

Yes I,understand im also thinking of getting a Springfield XDM compact or a hellcat

1 Like

Just like Jerzy said! I am a chef at a bar too and this is what I do.

3 Likes