Knives as protected arms

Interesting read.

3 Likes

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out across the country if it gets moved up to SCOTUS.

I just got back from a family trip to MA where I couldn’t take any of my usual pocket knives aside from a 1.5 inch blade Swiss Army knife due to their insanely worded anti self defense knife laws that essentially make any knife that can be opened with one hand illegal.

2 Likes

The knife laws in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic are ridiculous. A lot of them have wording that allows carrying knives for some reasons, but prohibit it if it is carried for self defense. For me, a knife is a useful tool to have for May reasons, but I would only use it as a last ditch SD tool. But it seems that these laws are written in a way that makes it legally risky to carry a knife unless you are hunting or fishing. I’m glad I live in the South :grinning:

5 Likes

I use my pocket knife pretty much every day often multiple times per day for all sorts of odd jobs. I’ve never used it to defend myself and it would only be a last ditch option for me as well.

It seems ridiculous that people can get arrested for carrying a utility tool and even more ridiculous that they can get in even more trouble if they are forced to use that tool to defend themselves from a violent attacker.

6 Likes

I’ve carried pocket knife every day since I was 14 years old, and I too use it mostly every day for something. But here’s the thing, we can’t risk a violent attacker being harmed in any way. After all violent attackers have rights.

7 Likes

I still mourn the loss of my 1.5 inch souvenir Swiss Army knife I purchased in Yellowstone for less than $10 with a fake buffalo scrimshaw decoration on the case. I lost it at a TSA airport checkpoint where the agent was apparently worried that I could use it to storm the cockpit and take control of the plane. Keepin’ the public safe.

3 Likes

Yippee a knife topic. Alabama had one of the weirdest knife laws. You could not carry a Bowie knife period. The legal definition was a single edged blade… Period. Butter knife yep that was a Bowie, Katana you guessed it Bowie knife, Garden Machete don’t leave your curtilage cause it’s a Bowie knife. What makes it so absurd, if it was double edged, perfectly fine. Roman Gladius gtg, 6 foot long Scottish two handed sword good on you.

For knife laws, I recommend www.knifeup.com has an interface like the USCCA Reciprocity map.

6 Likes

Pssst… wrong link. Goes to KnifeOut.com is for sale | HugeDomains :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

Maybe this.

2 Likes

Stumbled onto this on YT, I LOVE KNIVES. :heart_eyes:

More test videos.
#worktuffgear - YouTube

Home | Work Tuff Gear | Outdoor bushcraft survival knife company

1 Like

Whaddya mean? my link goes to www.knifeup.com no idea where you got that www.knifeout.com link. You trying to make me look bad? Whaddya talking about @BRUCE26?

:flushed::rofl::joy::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Received my 1st knife as a cub scout, Used to purchase some at Woolworths, even ordered them from ads in comic books. had a few toad stickers with the fish scaler hook remover blade. Always have a knife on me most useful item I carry.

5 Likes

Yurrr so full of :ox: :poop:. :rofl:

1 Like