Israeli carry techniques use non chambered methods

Recently I went through an Israeli training ng program,that emphasizes aggressive tactics,situational awareness,and carrying non racked. Their draw and engagement times rival everybit of a regular racked carry. However all other aspects are a bit different since they work with aggressive tactics,mover to cover first a kneel to rack and clear(taking you out of harms visibility- if in a distance engagement,firing around objects,never over the top etc.

If you know anything about their training,I would be interested in an assessment or thoughts on aggressive (force on force) vs our defensive system. Their emphasis on situational awareness is much higher than our traditional training and is designed to remove one from any potential issue way ahead of time. But the agressive part makes engagement a one way option.

Thoughts?

The defense or aggressive part of the training includes if to close to draw and fire(comfortably, using the slide and or barrel of the weapon to create distance to fire(as an example).

The steel of the slide can give “plenty of headache or fracture” etc.

Can aggressive training actually result in a more defensive posture?

3 Likes

Let me start by saying that I don’t know anything about the Israeli training regimen or, for that matter, the Israeli criminal justice system as regards self defense.

That being said, my first impression is that here in America the “aggressive defense” could quickly become simply “aggressive” in the eyes of a prosecutor. These tactics could be seen as escalating the situation to violence without an attempt to defuse it.

Perhaps Israeli laws are more straightforward in these matters, or even tipped in favor of the defender.

4 Likes

I know a “little bit” about some of the Israeli tactics that they teach and the reasoning behind them. In the early 90’s I had the opportunity to visit Israel and do some training with some folks there. I (obviously) found it interesting that they as a rule carry with un-chambered rounds in their pistols and “walking around” rifles, for various reasons, that is their rule. Out of that rule they have developed some exceptional methods for getting a gun into a fight. To and including using the pistol or rifle as a “muzzle punch”, a (mostly) non-lethal way of clearing space and reducing a contact threat.

One must understand the mind set in an environment where extreme violence is more common than any kind of violence they we might encounter here. The bad guys don’t show up with a handgun or a semi-auto “pick a stick”, they bring explosives, machine guns and belt fed weapons to the fight so the dynamic is totally different than in the US.

That said Israel is ALWAYS under a constant state of attack from multiple fronts so their training doctrine centers around bringing the most violent offensive actions to the front immediately to stop the threat before it has the opportunity to establish itself. Think suicide bomber, As a general rule these folks are making their final acts and in doing so want the attention prior to lighting off the bomb. Given that little bit of knowledge you only get a couple of seconds to engage so the idea is to bring maximum violence to a violent situation to shut it down. Add to it that the guy/girl/child in the bomb vest may not be the only intended “martyr” in the crowd and some individuals have been used to simultaneously attack or “wrap up” defenders during an attack principally to disarm or prevent/delay engagement.

The Israelis techniques are worthy of study and dare I say some practice. Their tactics/mindset may or may not be suitable or legal in the U.S. That said, excellent information if you can get it and apply it to our rules/standards and laws.

Cheers,

Craig6

8 Likes

I know little to nothing about Israel’s practices, training or criminal justice system. I do understand that most, if not exempt, are required to serve in the military for 2-3 years. Most of the population is trained with weapons, are trained in first aid, including traumatic injuries, and all other things that the vast majority of Americans have no comparable training, including the vast majority of those who carry concealed weapons.
I disagree with not having a round chambered, especially in an area that is much more likely to see a terrorist attack, but, if that is how they are trained and they can react quickly, then it works for them.

6 Likes

It is interesting,because in there system the draw and rack are simultaneous,reloads happen essentially from a knee( not all,this is to minimize target size) objects are shot around not over( minimizing aggressor sight picture) aggressive tactics are used in confrontations(once engaged) if confrontations start to close for a normal draw,then there are a number of options other than drawing a weapon to shoot. Using it the weapon barrel thrust into aggressor or using the weapon slide if a poly weapon,whole weapon or side if all metal as an object to hit with etc. I think my point was looking at the close in trainings that kept the force on force equilibrium so that if in court,it might be for something other than a death. There are a lot of options not discussed here in how to handle a situation without death.

Really just looking at the different training mentalities,however as craig6 stated they start and end with total aggression. Be more than the one coming at you. In that view if you do not wind up dead as an aggressor,you should recognize the gift given. PS and size is irrelevant in what they do.

It is very interesting training,and seems to offer alot. It fits in with defensive training in the sense of options available to allow life (in the civilian world).

2 Likes

Understand their carry policy is written for the lowest common denominator, the draftee with zero firearms experience.

They also live in some of the most densely populated cities and towns on the planet.

Understand why they developed this policy but I do not like or recommend it to anyone.

I am definitely a big fan of an aggressive defense.

2 Likes

Hey guys,

So to the question “can aggressive training actually result in a more defensive posture?” If I understand you correctly in that question I would say yes. I do train and am a club coach in Israeli tactics starting in Krav Maga in High school and currently working with my head instructor to gain my license (who is a level 6 instructor in Israeli combat survival and Level 3 instructor in Commando Krav Maga as well as Ex Marine Force Recon and CIA operator).
We carry Israeli and 95% of the time in pistols. Its funny to when gun enthusiasts get really mad about chambered verses non chambered carry. If you train, then do what works for you and is the safest option that you can achieve. I really get a kick out of guys who start yelling at my head instructor about it. I just think well he has killed a lot of people so maybe he had a reason he chooses it.
The idea is that in close quarters you do not want the bad guy to get ahold of your gun and be able to shoot you with it before you can counter, also there is no possible way for a miss fire if you end up in a ground struggle. Learning to use your hardware in unconventional ways is key to high stakes encounters. I’m not sure what your defensive system is but I can say that training the Israeli way has put me much higher in combat proficiency (real life scenarios) than other guys that train with us. Many guys who are much better shots cannot compete with us when the intensity is pumped up and you have to deal with multiple threats and operate while on the fly.
As far as defense goes, I have done some Jits, Judo, Sambo, Muay Thia, but as far as wholistic combat systems go, If you get a chance train in Israeli or Russian stuff, do it, those guys know how to survive.

1 Like

I’m no expert but I personally think the advantages of a chambered round outweigh the disadvantages. I do very much agree with being aggressive in response to an attack. I have started taking Krav Maga as part of my rehab and the focus is definitely on aggression. But much of my none Israeli based firearms instruction has also emphasized situational awareness and aggressive responses in order to reset the attackers OODA loop and gain initiative.

1 Like

I am in no position to question the Israelis on their TTPs. I always wonder about the Americans who do. That’d be like me giving body-building advice to Lou Ferrigno.

But, yeah, people get real touchy when they find out someone carries differently than they do. It’s kind of funny how short fused people are when they find out someone carries a different caliber, in a different position, etc.

1 Like