Is an over-under shotgun any good?

I would think it would be hard to aim with the chainsaw foregrip. It looks like a fun range gun, but probably not the best for ensuring accuracy in a self defense situation, and everyone should own a head turning range gun. (Mine happen to be traditional black powder.)

All that being said there is nothing wrong with a quality pump like a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. If you’re feeling nostalgic for wood furniture you can generally find Ithica 37s in gun shops too. They are also great for lefty’s.

If you can swing the money, a Benelli 1301 is an outstanding choice. One of those will find a home with me at some point unless something better comes out before I spend over a grand on a gun that will replace a perfectly good gun that I already own.

I dont really like the idea of using a double barrel, because I believe that shotguns have 3 major drawbacks: recoil, capacity, and effective range, and a double barrel further limits one of the drawbacks. I do however think shotguns are a great home defense tool when coupled with the correct ammo and training despite those limitations. Everything has limitations.

That being said, if it is all you have, or what you really want, then get a double barrel.

4 Likes

Cheap o/u shotguns are not well made, IMHO. If you want a sxs look for a Stevens 511 or 311 or Fox B which give you two independent triggers and action mechanisms—redundancy—much better!
Pumps are far more popular and with good reason with higher capacity magazines and can be kept in Cruiser ready (empty chamber) condition, however a double trigger sxs will give faster second shots—even faster than a semiauto—and a break open action will have a close to a 4" shorter oal than any pump or autoloader given the same barrel lengths, however keeping a hammerless sxs loaded means it’s loaded and cocked----definitely not an intelligent thing to do!. Those are the trade offs. Is it worth it? That’s your decision.
Also in my humble opinion, the 870 Wing master is a much better built gun than 870 non Wing masters. Try a comparison and you’ll see what I mean. I’d look for a used Wing master if I was shopping around. Nothing wrong with Mossberg 500s or Ithacas either.

2 Likes

Like has been stated- two shots is it. With that said, two loads of 00 buck from a 12 bore should stop pretty well anything😏. There’s also something very intimidating about looking down the business end of a double😳

1 Like

SxS is where it’s at for riding shotgun on a stage coach. Just sayin’ :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

:laughing:
My head turning range gun is a decked out Kel-Tec 12 guage shotgun, 15 rounds, laser, light, muzzle brake, and a red dot, well that and my FN-FNZ .45 that I use for my competition gun. I had alot of mods done to it, but it only comes out of safe for range or competitions.

2 Likes