Is .380 enough?

That’s fine, to each his own. Just clarifying to the casual reader that “reconsider his life choices” is a polite way of referencing the pain inflicted by multiple bullet wounds.

Understood. Your point is valid in many if not most situations. My point is that while many bad folks will run at the sight of a gun, and perhaps most will run or give up after being shot by whatever you hit them with, there are lots of videos out there showing bad folks being hit multiple times and continuing the fight often without realizing they were hit, often with an eventually fatal shot. Yes this can happen with a .45 but it is a little more likely to happen with rounds that have problems expanding and penetrating enough

I just want the casual reader to understand that if they choose a lighter caliber then they are making a compromise and need to not assume that their choice will solve all of the same problems as effectively as a larger caliber, higher capacity pistol. There are problems I would have an incredibly hard time solving with my LCP that I would feel pretty confident handling with my G19.

1 Like

I agree with everything you said.
In fact, I think almost every decision we make regarding defense is a compromise.

1 Like

Yup! Sure wish I had a pocket pistol that could transform into a .308 semi auto rifle when needed:). Not to mention a set of lightweight, breathable level IV bullet proof Tshirts and pants for everyone in the family:)

1 Like

Ha ha, totally agree! Kind of like how I wish I could drive a big up-armored Ford Excursion 4x4 but still get the gas mileage of a Honda Prius.

1 Like

To each his/her own. Anything is good enough other than .22. “Stopping power” really doesn’t matter overall. I’d be more concerned about over penetration. Hollow points take care of that issue.

Shot placement is all that counts with any gun.

5 Likes

I do have some doubts about JHP .380 against a black bear.

2 Likes

FWIW, I have doubts about any pistol caliber vs any bear. The bigger the better, sure, but I’d be hesitant to shoot a bear even with a .45. Maybe a 10mm?

I mean, a black bear is usually pretty timid, anyway. I’d rather try to convince her that I’m not a threat so she’ll leave me alone. If I shoot her with a pistol, I’m only going to confirm that I’m a problem she needs to deal with.

And if it’s a bigger bear, even rifles have been known to fail. No, better to simply go hiking with someone on crutches so you have someone you can outrun.

3 Likes

Toyota makes the Prius not Honda

1 Like

I don’t care, I’m not buying one. :laughing:

1 Like

Hope you understand firearms better than vehicles. Lol

Have a look at this: