Instructor Notes - Our first middle of the night intruder

:muscle: it IS driving distance…
When?

membership limitations… :wink:

3 Likes

Let me do some poking and see if any of the instructors I know have one coming up. You can also find instructors who teach DSF 2 in your area here: https://training.usconcealedcarry.com/instructor-search

Or just take the Instructor class - even if you’re not going to teach, it will definitely be worth it! :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I had some training in room and building clearing in FASTER Level I and II at Tactical Defense Institute in West Union, OH. We did force on force with airsoft pistols. The classes are geared towards active shooter in a school setting (including treating the wounded after you neutralize the threat). Some scenarios are “don’t shoot.” They also put you through live fire shoot houses with realistic paper targets. They then tape up the targets to make you really think through what you are doing.

In my scenario above, I was pretty sure no one was in the house. Had I really believed someone was in the house, my plan is to put the family in the master bedroom and I would take a position at the top of the stairs. (All of our bedrooms are on the second floor.) They can do whatever they want downstairs while we call 911. If they come to the stairs and try to come upstairs to where my family is, then I would take steps to prevent that.

I agree with @Fizbin on when not to clear the house! Room/building clearing is a last resort. My wife and kids came home from school one day to find our side door open. She called and asked what to do. I sent her across the street (in laws live there) and told her in no uncertain terms should she enter our house. By the time I got home (about 15 minutes) she had watched the house long enough to realize our son must have left the door unlocked and unlatched in the morning and the wind blew it open during the day. There were no strange vehicles in our neighborhood. It was still daylight outside. I stood at the open door and listened for a good long while before I entered the house. I did use that as a practice to clear the house, but only becuase I was confident no one was in there. Had I believed someone was in the house, I would have done exactly as stated above and let LE handle it.

3 Likes

Yes I do. But my wife really can’t stand it. Beano doesn’t work well on me.

4 Likes

Every once in a while a man reaches his apex of skill level. Congrats on a job well done…

3 Likes

I carry a .45 auto and flashlight just to go to the bathroom and I live in 800 square foot house . Sometimes a Serbu super shorty 12 ga. I live in a border state.

3 Likes

“bathroom” or outhouse, just kidding.

You know some tritium sights on your 45, resting in your nightstand open drawer at night, make a great beacon to nav to to get back to bed. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What the hell man, what happened to the opossum? And why am I the only one asking?

5 Likes

Funny you ask. It took me opening and slamming the window shut multiple times to get it to run off.

4 Likes

For free? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

All of them, who teach DSF2 have this:

A 2021-05-12 22-40-43
or this
A 2021-05-12 22-40-56
or this
A 2021-05-12 22-41-09

:zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Come on man, we got indoor plumbin and real crapper paper and all the trimmings. All kidding aside 5 or 6 yrs. ago the house across the street was raided with 80 illegals in it, and 2 weeks later was busted with 23 more. Now you see why I am so careful when things go bump in the night !! P.S. I can see in the dark. U.S. Army "67 to 73 "

5 Likes

True Stories hollow:
Several years ago we heard something scratching our door. We knew it was an animal but which one. We live near a wildlife preserve. I finally found my sons Daisy BB/Peller gun and prepared for the next encounter. A couple of nights later it happened again. We were ready. Turned out to be an opossum. Pumped and ready to go I shots it. Had to pump and fire several times. Yes, I felt bad but it was destroying the door. Some time later we heard a bunch of noise. I wasn’t ready but quickly turned on the light and opened the door. I nearly died with 5 bandits staring back at me frozen in place. I nearly died laughing because I’ve never scene that many raccoons in one place especially in my city yard. It would make a great scene in a movie. Haven’t had that problem in a while other than spotting a fox on my side yard 5’ from me in the drivers seat. Not sure what to do about him yet.

5 Likes

Anytime my alarm system goes off I do not hesitate to grab a weapon.Just to be on the safe side.

4 Likes

Here are the DSF instructor classes, @Jerzees: https://training.usconcealedcarry.com/class/defensive-shooting-fundamentals-level-1-certified-instructor-cascade-wi/ae2c07dc-9d3e-11eb-ab66-0242ac12000b

4 Likes

Is it a regular class, or class to be the Instructor?

A 2021-05-13 09-10-03

It’s a little bit above I’m willing to spend :zipper_mouth_face:

4 Likes

Start a GoFundMe. A lot of people seem to do it just for a hangnail. :wink:

7 Likes

all i can say is you should be a comedian, that is funny as hell… charlie retired army 67-68 vietnam era…

4 Likes

According to Critical Opossum Race Theory this poor downtrodden opossum had been oppressed by “The Man.” Forced to eat garbage and various woodland creatures he came to your house to throw off the shackles of oppression and reclaim what is rightfully his. Lesson: Always go armed. You never know what you might encounter. (I will take my medication now.)

3 Likes

A 2021-05-14 10-01-31

@Kevin331 , Welcome to the Community !

6 Likes