I HAZ A QUESTION:? Virginia Man Shoots Knife-Wielding Intruder Who Fatally Stabbed His Wife

Harrisonburg, VA – In a heartbreaking and violent home invasion in Rockingham County, Virginia, a husband was forced to shoot and kill an intruder who had just murdered his wife with a knife.

The case highlights the brutal reality of self-defense and why being prepared—always—is not just a choice but a necessity.

The Attack

Just before midnight on Sunday, August 3rd, Rockingham County deputies responded to a frantic 911 call on the 13000 block of North Valley Pike. The caller was 65-year-old homeowner Michael Hatcher, who met deputies outside his home, injured and distraught. His wife, 62-year-old Holly Hatcher, lay dead inside.

The assailant, Kevin Moses Walker, 41, of Pikesville, Maryland, had entered the Hatcher residence armed with a large knife. According to investigators, Walker fatally stabbed Holly inside the home before turning his weapon on Michael. The fight spilled outside—where Michael retrieved a handgun from his vehicle and shot Walker, killing him dead right there. (DRT).

When deputies arrived, both the victim Holly and the home invader were pronounced dead at the scene.

“Highly Unusual” and Tragic

Rockingham County Sheriff Bryan Hutcheson called the incident a “violent and tragic crime” and emphasized the shocking and unusual nature of the invasion. The Virginia State Police have joined the ongoing investigation. So far, it remains unclear if the attack was targeted or random.

“No charges will be filed,” Hutcheson stated, confirming that Commonwealth’s Attorney Marsha Garst reviewed the facts and ruled the use of force justified under Virginia’s self-defense laws.

Tactical Defense Takeaways: Lessons for Every Gun Owner

This event is a tragic reminder that evil can strike when you least expect it. While Michael Hatcher did everything he could to protect his wife, one chilling detail stands out: his firearm was in his vehicle—not on his person.

Here are 3 essential tactical defense tips for armed citizens:

  • Carry Your EDC Firearm at Home: If you’re licensed and trained, your everyday carry weapon should be on you, even at home. Criminals don’t wait until you’re “ready.” Seconds matter.

  • Use Strategic Firearm Staging: If carrying full-time isn’t practical, consider staging firearms securely in key areas of the home—bedroom, living room, garage—using quick-access safes.

  • Drill Your Defense Plan: Practice home invasion scenarios with your family. Know where to retreat, where weapons are staged, and how to communicate under pressure. Just owning a gun isn’t enough—train to use it under stress.

Final Thoughts

Michael Hatcher acted heroically in the face of pure evil, stopping a killer and preventing further harm. But this tragedy is a gut-punch reminder that your right to defend yourself means little if you’re not prepared to use it in time.

Our hearts go out to the Hatcher family—and our resolve as armed Americans is only strengthened. This is why we carry. This is why we train.

Stay alert. Stay armed. Stay alive.


My Thoughts and observations from the cheap seats:

‘While Michael Hatcher did everything he could to protect his wife, one chilling detail stands out: his firearm was in his vehicle—not on his person’. DID HE? If I was the Lead Investigator the FIRST thing I’d do is check Bank records to see if there were any Transactions between the Grieving husband and the ‘DRT’…**
When My Wife was alive I’d throw myself in front of a duckin’ Truck to save her. I wasn’t there, so this is speculation and I apologize for doing so but this Wreaks ! Yes, the Invader could have struck the Wife first and Yes again we weren’t joined at the hip 24/7 so it could have been just bad luck he got to her first. SHIP HAPPENS!**

The Gun in the car REALLY sounds bad!. First it breaks so many tenants of Gun Ownership, least of which as pointed out in the article ‘If it ain’t on you (or even in your ducking house! you might as well carry a Toaster for Self D.) It just seems odd after the MURDER, they took it outside and the Killer STAYED to fight! He also stayed to fight while the guy got to his car, retrieved his piece, loaded it and turned to fire… Was the car UNLOCKED? At Midnight did he happen to have his ‘Key fob/Keys’ on him? Was it ALREADY LOADED? Did he have one in the pipe IN THE CAR? My guess is if he was a USCCA Member there would be conversations on the (7th) floor about about sending their own Investigators to comb over the shoot BEFORE helping this guy out of the sh!t!

Have these two ever met before? Worked together? Met @ a Bar? How’d he get in the house? Did he crawl threw the Doggie door?

IS ANYBODY Following me here? or am I totally off base? Does this pass your ‘SMELL’ Test because it sure doesn’t mine. I normally support any Gunner hands down, Almost no questions but when an INNOCENT/Wife DIES! then the fight leaves the X Goes outside, then the only other witness is gunned down

(Dead men tell NO tales ‘ey?) THOUGHTS?

WWG1WGA / NCSWIC

8 Likes

You might be surprised to know how many people leave their gun in their car. This is a huge source of guns used in crimes. I can’t tell even remember (too many) how many people I have talked to that had a gun stolen out of their unlocked car sometime in the night.

I implore locals not to leave their car unlocked and definitely not to leave guns in unlocked cars, on like local nextdoor or FB groups, and the most vocal response I get is that I’m “victim blaming” to say they are wrong for leaving a gun in their car or leaving their car unlocked because they should be able to do that.

Sometimes we as gun owners don’t help ourselves

8 Likes

That’s tragic for sure.

Not familiar with his state’s gun carry law but regardless, he’s home.

when I’m home, I carry IWB or gun’s within reach.

9 Likes

NOT TRYING to Flog a dead horse here but I see from your response Bruh YOU GET IT TOO! (or don’t get it). The ‘FACTS’ don’t jive with COMMON SENSE. Sure I GET it we Gunners like Nathan said don’t help ourselves but this flies in the face of REALITY!. It was either a Post or a Topic where I listed that ‘ Gun thefts in Cars’ was up (31%) since last year (or over the last few years whatever) I Think that numbers Low/False anyway. If you screwed up would many raise their hand ‘OoH Ooh Ooh Ooh like Horshack! and say ‘Yepper, I sure as sh!t screwed up and left my GUN in the Glovebox! , Or I left my car unlocked because in the morning I have my Briefcase, Coffee, Laptop and I can’t be BOTHERED with the keys?’ Sure I am a generally an honest guy but I’m no IDIOT!

I just don’t see the MURDERER sticking around while the guy goes to the car (Be right back stay there wooja?)

‘Let me get my Gun so I can killya!’ This stinks, and man this guy should breathe all the Mountain air he can while his wrists are still free!

9 Likes

He will be lucky to avoid jail.

4 Likes

Anyone who ever watches Dateline, I would guess, had the same thoughts as you, brother.

6 Likes

Good Point Bruh, I can see Chris Hanson starting his report in the guy’s driveway (after they show his MUGSHOT for the World to see) then the Bloodstain of the ‘DRT’…. Datz good TV!:laughing:

5 Likes

Yes, I was thinking much the same after I read that. As you and others have pointed out, people do leave their firearms in unlocked vehicles at their homes - I cannot fathom why, but it happens far too often. Now, if it was at a job site or some such where carrying is illegal/not allowed, I could see it being in a safe in the vehicle, but I don’t like doing that, either.

I have a safe in my car, but I have only used it once or twice. As others have stated in the past, don’t go where you can’t carry or just leave it at home. When I was working, the parking lot was also a GFZ, so I had to commute unarmed. I don’t typically carry at home, but I do have one in my desk where I am right now and one at my bedside.

5 Likes

I’d simply settle for people locking their car and not not having any give-away stickers or decals on it.

But you put a Glock and a Magpul sticker on it, park it unlocked, with a gun in the console, that’s not helpful.

9 Likes