How often do you train with your off hand?

You never know when a self-defense incident will happen, and there’s a chance you might be injured before you can access your firearm. Do you train to draw with your non-dominant hand?

How often do you shoot with your non-dominant hand?

7 Likes

I have only recently started with off-hand practice on a .22 lr double action revolver. I believe that I have a decent smooth da trigger pull, and I am looking to step up a little & start working with the Boss’ .38 special next (I don’t have a 9mm, or I would use it).

4 Likes

Once a class when I had a Instructor (At least two magazines), it was usually at the end of class he would say something along the lines “you just got shot in the shoulder” and I would put my right hand on my left shoulder and shoot one handed lefty. We never did practice a left handed draw.

3 Likes

I try to shoot a few rounds with my weak hand every time I go to the range. When I do remember, it’s normally 10-25 rounds depending on how much ammo I have left for that session.

2 Likes

2 -3 times per week dry fire training and once per month live fire during class.

4 Likes

Two times a week with my SIRT and then every time I go to the range. Every other month I do the FBI certification test. This guides me to if I am improving and how much.

3 Likes

As much as possible being that I had surgery on my dominant hand .

I don’t practice drawing with my weak hand put I do practice picking up the firearm off the ground, reloads and malfunction clearing one handed. I keep the range anywhere from bad breath to 15 yds.

Every trip to the range. However, I have not practiced drawing with my ND hand. That’s probably something I should incorporate!

2 Likes

Every time I’m at the range.

Not because I’m responsible, just because it’s fun.

2 Likes

I go to the range at least every 2 weeks. I typically go with 4 different handguns. .40 cal, 9mm and 32 ACP. I train with my off hand with at least 1 clip every trip, every gun

Every range trip

I recently added holster on right hip to my training equipment (as a left handed shooter).
I found it very helpful to efficiently operate off hand shooting. Right now it’s not only that I can shoot and hit, I can actually do whole draw process as smooth as my left hand.
Does it help for EDC? Maybe not…but I feel safer knowing that I’m prepared to use both hands no matter what happens.
You never know when you injure your hand.
And my gear is ready.

3 Likes

Every trip to the range I shoot off hand at least 50 rounds

I try to fire at least 10 rounds out of 50 with my non - dominant hand while at the range. Normally fire 150 to 200 rounds per visit. Three times a week at home during dry fire practice with my carry firearm with a laser practice round inserted. Dry fire at home I do movement, hide behind furniture and fire, and laying on the floor right side then left. Forbid if your wounded but if you are you might be on the ground having to return fire.

1 Like

I practice off hand (weak hand) almost daily. That being said, my daily practice is dry fire. I do make it to a range 1-2 times a week. The buddies that I practice with are all recent combat vets and the drills they put me through are very useful. One of the most difficult drills for me is to have my right hand zip tied to my belt behind my holster (yes it hurts but I guess that’s the point). My extra mags are on my left side and I also have my AR on a sling. In one scenario I am firing my handgun until empty, then transition to my rifle. It’s important to have the sling snug-up when bringing the rifle into position. We then engage 6 static targets while in motion. It’s tough but fun. AND very humbling when I watch these guys do the same thing without a hitch and very fast.

Daily because the Mantis X Elite system has a drill I do all the time that scores you shooting with your support hand and also the primary hand. It’s been fun watching the scores get higher and higher as I go through the drills and it rates me and tells me what I need to correct.

Everytime I practice.